• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

Newbie Guzzi

slopoke

Just got it firing!
Hello, I am new here and to the world of Guzzista. I have purchased a new/leftover 2008 MG Norge 1200. The engine seems to be pulling harder the more miles I get on it. It is different, but I like the exclusivity, the reputation for high miles, and the looks it gets. The first bit of fun was at the filling station when two older gentlemen pulled up on Harleys. When I came out of the store they were looking over my bike and one of them asked me 'what's wrong with the swingarm, its missing one side'. I explained it to them when the guy then asked me, "You trust your life with a set up like that?" I just looked at all of cars nearby and said, "Yeah, I guess so." ;) The next bit of fun was when I exited a restaurant and another Harley rider and his wife were looking at it. I introduced myself and we started talking. He asked me what do they (Moto Guzzi) sound like? I couldn't help myself, "You know how the Harley has that Potato, Potato sound? Well the Guzzi sounds like Spaghetti, Spaghetti." :silly: He didn't laugh. I have a Harley and like it, but the Guzzi is something different. I will need much education and hope to find some of that here without being too much of a pest. I am interested in some of Todd's power modifications, but I do not want the bike to get louder. I have a Harley for that. What would you recommend?

First thing I'd recommend is the suspension upgrade, then the ECU/Powercommander/Autotune setup, but that's just me (I still don't have the ECU bit). Then again, I'm in canyon country so handling in the curves is a little more important to me than a better performing engine.

If you get rid of the Metzlers and go to Dunlop Road Smarts, you'll see a great amount of difference in how the bike sticks to the road. Add the suspension bits and the Norge becomes an absolutely amazing motorcycle that will surprise the heck out of others in the twisties.

jdg

jdgretz said:
First thing I'd recommend is the suspension upgrade, then the ECU/Powercommander/Autotune setup, but that's just me (I still don't have the ECU bit). Then again, I'm in canyon country so handling in the curves is a little more important to me than a better performing engine.

If you get rid of the Metzlers and go to Dunlop Road Smarts, you'll see a great amount of difference in how the bike sticks to the road. Add the suspension bits and the Norge becomes an absolutely amazing motorcycle that will surprise the heck out of others in the twisties.

jdg

I have not really been too turned off on the suspension, but then again I am not that aggressive of a driver and never do two-up. I do see alot of dive in the front end under braking. I may be interested in the suspension upgrades, and am definately interested in the power upgrades. So will the aforementioned ECU/Powercommander/Autotune setup work well with the stock exhaust? And what brand of brake pads should I switch to to get rid of the grabbyness of the factory pads. Also, what fluid are you guys using in the transmission and the CARC? I have the Agip 10w60 engine oil, but not the others.
CB

For the CARC and gearbox any good fully synthetic either 75W90 or 80W 90 will be just fine.

I have found a way to deal with the grabbing front brakes. I only use the rear brake for anything slower than 25mph. Especially under 10mph. You will find you have control of the braking and that bike won't lurch forward when you apply the brakes.

slowpoke said:
I may be interested in the suspension upgrades, and am definately interested in the power upgrades. So will the aforementioned ECU/Powercommander/Autotune setup work well with the stock exhaust? And what brand of brake pads should I switch to to get rid of the grabbyness of the factory pads.
Hi CB, congrats and welcome. I nearly missed this thread.
I'll be happy to answer any of your suspension questions when you are ready. If you weigh more then 170 lbs (add 15 with gear), then you will highly benefit from suspension modifications.
As for the ECU/PC-V/AT, a handful of the posts here have stock Norge'; https://www.guzzitech.com/forum/topic. ... 188&t=5243
The brake "grabbiness" - are you referring to the front or rear? If the front, you will get used to them in time if you are coming off of an HD. They are actually on the soft side from those coming from the more sporting side. If you are talking about the rear, I offer some organic pads that help tremendously, as Guzzi delivers them with a high-friction/sintered material. Do a search here and you will find the info.

Hope that helps... post often.

Feel free to contact me direct on anything above.

My Norge has the suspension upgrades front & rear, and also the GT-RX ECu and PCV/Autotune-but with the stock air box & exhaust. Handles & runs hugely better everywhere without any noise increase-just the way I like it. The stock front brakes are not at all grabby-just much more powerful & lower effort than what you are used to. You should get used to it & adjust with time, meanwhile the ABS will offer you some protection from overcooking the front end. The front end dive you may be experiencing isn't because the brakes are grabby, rather because the stock front suspension is way too soft & underdamped. Fix the front end & the dive is very much reduced-and handling improved, without any cost in touring comfort. On the other hand I think the stock rear brakes totally suck, they either do nothing or the ABS comes on. If you had a non-ABS Breva you would have the rear end breaking traction way too easily. I got the organic pads out back before Todd did, agree with him they help a good bit, maybe 30% better than stock, somewhat easier to modulate. I prefer Roadsmarts over the stock Metzlers-but like Michelin Pilot Road 2's even more cause they last so much longer & are sticky enough for me. If you haven't already, run right out to the garage & cut back the rubber stop on the centerstand with a knife from the 1" or so it comes down to next to nothing, like 1/8". Next time you hit a bump in a left hand sweeper, you'll be much less likely to grind the centerstand, or worse, esp if you still have the stock suspension and/or ride 2 up and/or weigh over, say 170 lb. If you like your Norge now, do all the above & you will be amazed how much better it gets.

GuzziBob, thanks for the excellent and informative post. Pretty much what I needed to hear.

Todd, let me save my pennies and soon I may contact you. I suppose the computer upgrade will affect my warranty. I guess I am not really worried about that since I have zero confidence in my local dealer, or for one anywhere near me. I am also an auto repair shop owner and mechanic. The biggest problem with me sending you all of my pennies is the shipping charges for the weight of all of those pennies. :lol:

When I say "grabby" I am referring to how the brakes engage and the forks dive with only a slight amount of front level pull. Another concern is the abrupt acceleration with only slight tip-in, but that has been explained elsewhere with the performance upgrades.

I'm planning a trip on the goose at Thanksgiving from Jacksonville Beach, Florida to Louisville, Kentucky. I hope it doesn't rain.

CB

slopoke said:
And what brand of brake pads should I switch to to get rid of the grabbyness of the factory pads.

I recently bought a leftover 08 Norge and had the opposite opinion of the brakes. I thought that the stock front brakes were weak as well as creating lots of black dust on the wheels. I swapped to EBC metallic pads which bite way better than the stockers. Of course I'm coming off Ducatis and I really like a strong brake in the front. I think that you'll get used to the brakes and will come to like the grabbyness.

Back