• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

Newbie-ish

andyroach

Just got it firing!
Hi all,
I am new to the forum, but if any of you are from the guzzigb forum or the small block forum you will know who I am.
I have been racing a V50/3 over here in Spain this last racing year and have come to realise that I need more power to compete with the Jap bikes. I am currently running 30mm dellorto's (28's bored to 30mm) flowed heads, raised compresion and equalised squish(skimmed the bottom of the barrels to give a squish of 1.2mm per cylinder), lightened the flywheel and made up some long reverse cone megas (my avatar is said bike).
My winter developement is consisting of adding 1mm larger valves, 34mm dellortos with straight intake stubs, High lift cam from Phil Joy, larger diameter exhaust pipe, which will be single skinned and considerably lighter and general polishing and lightening to the crank and anything that is in there wizzing around (oil pump, crank and cam sprockets mainly). I will also be trying to remove as much weight from the bike as possible (it weighs 155 kg (341 lb) with a full tank of gas at the moment) and most importantly I will be attempting to lose 10-15 kg as I am a bit of a pie eater at the moment weighing in at 98 kg (215 lb).
I have been thinking of trying to run the tyres without innertubes, but am just not sure. Does anyone have experience of doing this on a race bike?
Regards
Andy

Hi there.

Sorry I can not help you with the bike weight lose, but for you, check this link( http://www.halls.md/ideal-weight/body.htm ) so you know how far you can com with your weight.
I´m a road run which keeps my weight down but too loose more I nead resistentes training. Bootcamp is excelente, because I think gyms are boring!

Good luck

Regards
Filipe

Hi andy,

first of ...welcome :D

Well i would love to give some clearer recommendations/support, but honestly i hate to say without any more detailed spec's its kind of hard.
Im not too big of an expert on frames and in particular guzzi frame issues.
Maybe though i can help a lil with engine ideas as im working (as a hobby) with pretty good results for the past 10 years on race engines and in particular cylinder heads, with some help of my flowbench that i have been operating for the past 12 years.
Could you give more precise information on the used pistons as i assume the V50 is the usual heron engine?
If possible maybe could you supply some pictures of the pistontops.
Could you let us know the compression ratio?
Do you have any cam spec's of the Joy engineering cam?? Preferably@1mm: EXop/EXcl INop/INcl. Valve lift.
I know the question might sound a lil naive but would you be so kind to lemme know the valve diameters as i would like to avoid digging through stacks of motociclismo d'epoca (i know i have the articles somewhere, buut the search brrrr :shock: :oops: ) as you might know the numbers by heart ;)
Do you have perhaps have a flowbench (i take it that they where measured when flowed??)diagramm as one can then make more precise assumptions/interpretations.
I dont know to well how sturdy the small block bottom end is, but personally i think that you could still go a lil down on the squish clearance as 1.2mm seems still a lil loose to me for a race bike(on the morinis i went down to 0.8mm's), and heron heads in particular are usually quite grateful for reduced squish.
In the meantime you might like to read a lil into michael mays "firebolt" design which is pretty interesting as he raised surprisingly the compr. ratio as well as the squish turbulence on the Jag as well as on the testbed Passat.
here is one link:
http://www.jagweb.com/jagworld/v12-engine/page4.html

unfortunately besides that there is not too much info outside of an official SAE paper.

Also you might want to read into michael moores interesting V50 story in case you haven't?

http://www.eurospares.com/v50.htm

As the heron heads are to begin with unfortunately a lil valve restricted one will have to get pretty inventive to collect/find those missing horses regarding jap-bikes(even though with multicylinder japs as tuned CB500's i see it a lil bleak :S ).
But then CB500's are heavy ricotta-like bikes.

Btw.: if possible and allowed by your race organisation i would advice you to opt instead of the dellortos for Mikuni TM's(the old Sudco TM pro version which is basically a 2stroke carb) as they have a by far superior design of the venturi area, which gives a better signal/response on the needlejet.
With some added effort on the needlejet you should not need a accelerator pump.

For the flywheel i think ed of guzzitech is doing some really nice ligthening job, also i think bruno scola offers a aluminum flywheel from waht it says on his page.
http://www.scolaracing.com/scolaracing_prodotti.htm

KIT POTENZIAMENTO PER V35 -50-65-75 Flywhell ERGAL “RACING”

kind regards and a nice weekend :)

Christian

Back