• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

Newbie seeks advice

figaro

Tuned and Synch'ed
Hello all, figaro here from the UK.

I'm going to look at a 2006 Griso 1100 next weekend with a view to swapping my Triumph Sprint for it - if the other guy's happy I'll definitely be having it - but I thought it wouldn't hurt to seek some advice from more knowledgeable people about what to look for or any potential problem areas with the Griso. I'd appreciate any wisdom you can send my way.

I had a couple of Guzzis back in the day - a V50 mk2 and a T3 rustbucket - and loved both of them, but a couple of years ago I got to test ride a 1200SE for Superbike magazine, and absolutely fell in love with the bike. The only thing stopping me getting one was money, or the lack of it. But now this 1100 has come up and the guy wants to swap for a touring bike, I sure hope the deal comes off. If there's any potential problem areas with the bike I'd like to hear about them before I look at the bike, just to give me a little leverage in order to secure the deal.

Thanks in advance, I'm looking forward to hearing from you. :)

Welcome to the Forum regardless on how things might turn out for you.
Hope you get the bike though.

The early G11 had fuel pump hoses issues (were coming undone) inside the tank and a recall was in order about that.
The speedometer sensor could be faulty on rainy days (as well as the spark plug cap wires) and some failure were reported on the CARC on the 06 models.

Good thing for you is that the current owner has to have worked out any issues that might have occurred by now...
How many miles on the bike?
I have an 07 with 10K absolutely trouble free miles. Perfect bike so far...

I think the bike's got 20,000 miles, so I would assume it's had any warranty work done, but it's easy enough to check once I know the registration number of the bike. Can't wait to get this deal done, to be honest. The Sprint's been a great bike, I've toured Europe on it and even been round the Nurburgring on it, but it lacks personality.

Well, the deal is done, I'm now a Guzzi owner, and dead chuffed!

IMG_0056.jpg

figaro said:
Well, the deal is done, I'm now a Guzzi owner, and dead chuffed!

Bravo!!!! :p :p :p :p :p :p
Congrats. And at 20K miles, I think you past the big issue problems if some were to occur.

I've put 200 miles on her already, and the only issue I can find so far is the suspension being a bit harsh. I'll have a tinker when the weather cheers up a bit to see if I can stop it kicking me up the ass over the bumps. Certainly runs well, though, my 2-valve Multistrada can only dream of ticking over as smoothly... :blink:

figaro said:
I've put 200 miles on her already, and the only issue I can find so far is the suspension being a bit harsh. I'll have a tinker when the weather cheers up a bit to see if I can stop it kicking me up the ass over the bumps. Certainly runs well, though, my 2-valve Multistrada can only dream of ticking over as smoothly... :blink:

The stock settings are a bit harsh on high speed bumps (what else matters?). Surprisingly, some have determined (and this worked for me too) that reducing rebound dampening, rather than compression, is the way to go. I now have a pretty plush ride after taking rebound down to about 40 clicks on the shock and 2.0 turns on the fork. My stock sag was less than recommended on both ends as well.

On a high speed sweeper with a dip in the middle, it can actually wallow just a bit now, but never affects control - I'll take that over the swat up the back that I had before.

Yep, that's exactly how I've found it so far. A lot less rebound will make a difference (I weigh enough to provide my own rebound damping). As soon as it stops raining I'll give it a go... :(

Back