• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

Newcomb's is gone in Station fire

mohawkeye

Cruisin' Guzzisti
It caught fire last night at about 11:30. Everyone was evacuated. Apparently, Chilao, Fish Camp, Pacifico, and the Caltrans yard are gone also. Very bad news...

very sad i enjoyed backpacking in the area

Sad news. How long has Newcomb's been there... anyone know?

I hate the thought of people loosing their homes or business', and even more so for those who have to step into that hell, but on the upside, there will be great sight lines once everything is fixed, and perhaps new paving... whenever that may happen. Trying to find an upside here.

It's been there at least since 1932. Here's a pic from that winter...

:blush: Can't get the pic to upload; sorry.

mohawkeye wrote:
It's been there at least since 1932. Here's a pic from that winter...
:blush: Can't get the pic to upload; sorry.
Wow, that is really hard to hear... I knew it's been there quite some time.
Link the pic's url, and I'll try to grab it to post.

Pic from Mike, thanks. So just what are we looking at here? The back of the building looking towards the road it looks like? Why's the writing backwards on the bottom of the image I wonder.

Well, it's burned before and they rebuilt. The place has a concrete foundation and most if not all the exterior walls are stone/concrete, so there is some hope. We'll have to wait and see when this mess gets put to bed and folks can get back in the area.

I'm glad I made several runs along ACH recently and had a chance to introduce some folks to the Highway and Newcomb's.

I'll be back, and I'm sure they will as well.

jdg

someone on a defernt site posted it burn in like 1979 but well the forestry let them rebuilt thats the real question

I shoulda done this first: from http://www.newcombsranch.com/home_iframe.htm

"Newcomb's Ranch Inn" was built in 1939; so that picture must be part of Lynn Newcomb's ranch, maybe 1/4 mile away from "Newcomb's Ranch". The last fire that burned it was in 1976. Sorry for the confusion.

And this from Darren (our Sunday morning host at the bar) on Facebook at roughly 5pm yesterday: "time for some positive thoughts people... ranch is still standing as of last report, but it is still under SERIOUS threat from a flare-up near the (burned) visitors center... tonight is gonna be "crunch-time"...."

OK Mike, yes, this is from Arbi "As of 8:30 pm Tuesday, Newcomb's was still intact, but the fire was moving toward it from Chilao front. We'll see what happens tonight."

mohawkeye wrote:
It caught fire last night at about 11:30. Everyone was evacuated. Apparently, Chilao, Fish Camp, Pacifico, and the Caltrans yard are gone also. Very bad news...

Where did you get this information? This false rumor brought a lot of consternation to many people, and hopefully it won't come to pass in reality.

The info came from a phone call from one of my riding buddies to a Newcomb's employee. I regret not having checked things out more before the initial post. That info seriously bummed me out too, and I sincerely hope it can dodge the bullet.

"Newcomb's survives!!"
Great news this morning via the Fullerton office of Angeles Crest Christian Camp.
Newcomb's Ranch is still standing and serving food and drinks to firefighters. Firefighters are currently setting backfires in the Devil's Canyon area to provide further protection.
Further, more than 300 firefighters are based at Christian Camp and working to protect the camps and creating firebreaks to stop the progression of the fire which is burning in the southern area of Chilao. Camp Eaton, Valcrest and the Horse Flats areas are safe.
The southeastern flank of the fire is burning in the San Gabriel Wilderness Area. This area has not burn since the 1920's. Look for the fire to chew through this brush and make its way east to Hwy. 39 near Crystal Lake and south towards foothills communities such as Sierra Madre Monrovia and Duarte.
Simply, these decades of fuel loading needed some sort of release and the Station Fire is now doing the cleansing which was long overdue.
** Just talk to a LAFD Paramedic (Station 81) who is providing on site first-aid at Christian Camp, who verify the above information

FYI, a current photo of Newcomb's, clearly still standing! Woo hoo!

newcombs.jpg

Back