• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

NGK Spark Plug Cap (sb05e): how does one install them?

oalvarez

Tuned and Synch'ed
ok, please be gentle/kind, i'm new to MG, and have done a fair share of reading on the infamous subject, but am still unclear as to how you install the NGK caps onto the oem HT lead. i've read that some cut the wire at the HT end of the oem cap, and then "thread" it onto the NGK HT end. i also think that i've read that some "unscrew" the HT wire from the oem cap, and then screw it back onto the NGK HT end.

could someone please be so kind to clarify some of this, or be very specific as to what exactly has to be done to ensure a proper installation? i've seen some of the pictures posted but they seem to be more specific to the X4K kit (plug cap and wire). yes, i suppose that i could drive my plug caps up to the dealer for them to do but i thought that i could do my share to help them out by trying to do this myself.

is there cutting to do followed by crimping of connectors or just simple unscrewing/screwing of the oem cable/plug cap prior to attaching it (the same way) to the NGK cap?

the stelvio is not in my garage just yet so it's hard for me to visually see what has been said already. any pictures would be helpful.

thank you in advance!

Obie, if you unscrew the stock cap, you still have to cut the end off in order to thread the new one on. I recommend just snip it off. The new ones are essentially a pointed metal screw that grabs the wire core as you thread it on. It's quite simple. On the L/S cylinder, you'll have to un-route the plug wire from behind the frame rail in order for it to be long enough to reach the plug.

Much obliged, Todd. Take the badge off, un-screw cover, pull cap off of plug, un-screw cap off of HT wire, THEN CUT, then thread spliced wire onto/into NGK cap (somehow or another, by rotating the cap whose "screw" catches the exposed wire??).

That's how i read it.

Again, thank you.

Wasn't there a spare cap pluck recall on some of the series ?

Slekke

Slekke said:

Slekke

Yes, the new ones are still shit.

With the SB05E's you do as you said but push the upper rubber sealing grommet over the HT lead BEFORE screwing the cap onto the lead. Then pull the cap back down. Trying to push the lead through the grommet while it is installed in the cap is a stupid pain in the arse. It's much easier to do the two separately.

early 'FActory' caps had a cap that screwed on a-la NGK. Later ones have a brass fitting built into the end of the HT lead that screws into the crappy cap. Snip it off with sidecutters and then install the NGC caps.

pete

Pete

??

some picture, the understand the whole thing ?!

Slekke

wait.....are you supposed to "SPLICE" the HT wire (so you have EXPOSED wires) or are you simply supposed to cut the wire end and then SCREW the cap (pointy screw thing) INTO the HT cable???

figured it out for myself......leave a little bit of wire exposed, and screw cap (the actual screw in the cap) INTO the HT wire end.....

hope this thread helped others.

re-route the HT cable around and in front of the frame tubes

IMG_0904.jpg

added cable length to work with

IMG_0905.jpg

here is the end of the cable after cutting off the oem male tip

IMG_0907.jpg

it's at this point where you make a clean cut of the cable end, perhaps cut back 1/2-3/4in of rubber sleeve, install the HT/top rubber boot ONTO the HT cable end, and then SCREW the NGK plug cap INTO the actual cable end (yes, into the cable, where you cut, and where the wire is smack in the middle of the cable, male into female so to speak).

make sure to hold the HT cable so not to allow it to spin....you screw the NGK cap onto/into the cable until you perhaps feel the HT cable butt up against the NGK cap.

push the plug cap onto the spark plug, run the cable into the valve cover head channel, place the cable cover back on and screw it on, voila!

hope this helps some!

Sorry for double posting this:

Isn't the NGK SB05E's straight (not angled at the top as the originals)?
How is it functioning with the "tunnel covers" which put on top of the valve cover, covering the HT cable?
How to lift them from the spark plug, just pulling at the HT cable?

Thanks in advance!

Leif,

These are the straight ones and they are no problem as the lead just folds under the Plug cover.
Don't pull on the lead to get them off as this can ruin the connection or on carbon core or resistor ones can cause them to seperate internally an cause them to arc and eventually fail, not usually a problem with wire core leads.
To make them easy to get out in future tie some narrow cord around the body of the plug cap before you put the caps on the plug and have it extend 75mm (3 inches) out of the plug recess. You can hide it under the plug cover and when you wish to pull the plug cap out, you can tug on the string/cord or whatever and as it is working on the cap it will not damage the lead or connections. I have heard some people use cable ties for this same purpose.

Mark

Mark111 said:
Leif,

These are the straight ones and they are no problem as the lead just folds under the Plug cover.
Don't pull on the lead to get them off as this can ruin the connection or on carbon core or resistor ones can cause them to seperate internally an cause them to arc and eventually fail, not usually a problem with wire core leads.
To make them easy to get out in future tie some narrow cord around the body of the plug cap before you put the caps on the plug and have it extend 75mm (3 inches) out of the plug recess. You can hide it under the plug cover and when you wish to pull the plug cap out, you can tug on the string/cord or whatever and as it is working on the cap it will not damage the lead or connections. I have heard some people use cable ties for this same purpose.

Mark

Thanks for good tips on how to get them off!
For my originals I've done a special tool (Guzzis own is soooo expensive) and of course I don't use to pull the cable - just couldn't imagine any way to get a good grip on the straight NGK. Thanks to you; now I know.

pete roper said:
Slekke said:

Slekke

Yes, the new ones are still shit.

With the SB05E's you do as you said but push the upper rubber sealing grommet over the HT lead BEFORE screwing the cap onto the lead. Then pull the cap back down. Trying to push the lead through the grommet while it is installed in the cap is a stupid pain in the arse. It's much easier to do the two separately.

early 'FActory' caps had a cap that screwed on a-la NGK. Later ones have a brass fitting built into the end of the HT lead that screws into the crappy cap. Snip it off with sidecutters and then install the NGC caps.

pete

Pete

So, I'm looking at a fine NGK waterproof spark plug cap here - sweet. Do I take off the upper grommet sealing rubber thing from the plug and put that on the HT lead first, then screw the HT lead (with upper grommet from the plug) into the plug? And once screwed in, then seat the rubber grommet?

eager ... but obviously not too mechanically inclined maybe... :laugh:

Ok then. I'll take the upper grommets off, put the lead through it, screw the lead onto the cap and then re- seat the upper . Thanks down there in Australia :)

I'll soon have to change my HT cables and wonder:
How is the cables fastened in the coils? Thread on a screw? With a contact cap as in cars? With standard diameter?
And no; I don't wanna buy originals from Guzzi - they are so expensive ;-)

Back