• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

No spark Nevada

jawry

Just got it firing!
G'day All,

First post as a newby to this forum - hope i'm in the right spot.

Firstly - i live in Brisbane, Australia. Have long admired Guzzi bikes and more importantly - the Guzzi riders attitude (some brands just dont wave back!)

Down to business. I have a 2008 Nevada. After sitting idle for 10 days or so over the Christmas break she will not start. She turns over fine (battery is good) but will not fire.

I removed the plugs and found minor corrosions/rusting on the threaded part. Also - very minor blackening/soot on the business/spark end. I cleaned both plugs with wet/dry paper in the gap and tried again. No luck. I removed the right hand plug and tried resting againts the cylinder head (to test for spark) There did not appear to be any spark. For what its worth - there was compression in the cylinder as it blew out the paper plug that was inserted to prevent contamination getting in.

I got some new plugs and tried again. She'd turn over with gusto - but again would not fire. This was last night - did not have time to remove the plug and test again for spark. I suspect i would have got the same result as previously.

For what its woth - i checked all fuses in the main and aux. fuse holders and even put about 5 litres of fresh premium fuel/gas in the tank.

I have just about exhausted my abilities - can anyone please provide any guidance on how i may continue to chase the problem down. I do not have easy access to a trailer to get my girl off to the mechanics - so will try to remedy myself. Could it be the coil?

Thanks,

Iain

Jawry,

So the engine turns over, but you're not getting a spark? The first things to check are ;
- the kill switch
- neutral safety switch
- sidestand switch

Some of these switches in some models (I don't know about the Nevada) will let the engine turn over, but will still block the spark. The fuel injection relays are another idea, but check the above safety switches first.

I'm just dashing this off, I'll give you a more thoughtful answer later.
Joe

G'day Joe,

thanks for the quick reply.

Don't think its the neutral, kill of sidestand - none of them allow allow turn over when deployed/not deployed.

I'll check for spark with the new plugs when i get home tonight - but i'm pretty certain is not a sparkplug issue.

Oh, while i'm at it. What plug gap should i be using - 0.65mm?

Cheers,

Iain

I'd also check that the spark plug caps are making good contact with the plug wire core if you have not already done so.

0.65mm gap works for me.

Good luck.

NOLAGuzzi said:
I'd also check that the spark plug caps are making good contact with the plug wire core if you have not already done so.

0.65mm gap works for me.

Good luck.

Thanks NOLAGuzzi - i love it! - check the simple things first. Such an important life lesson. Dad's rule - check the battery terminals are tight/clean before checking anything else.

Yep, pretty certain they are fully seated and making good contact.

G'day All,

Any further advice?

Nellie is my only means of transport and need to get her back on the road.

Thanks,

Iain

jawry said:
G'day All,

Any further advice?

Nellie is my only means of transport and need to get her back on the road.

Thanks,

Iain

Spark is derived from the coils. Triggering of the coils is from the ECU. Inputs for spark to the ECU include the phase sensor sensor at the camshaft and it is located near the top right front of the engine. But first, look at the schematic here https://www.guzzitech.com/guzzi007/schem ... ada_IE.gif Carl has cone some good work on them. Check for power at the coils. If you don't have 12 volts there, the secondary injector relay (call out 12) may be the culprit. So after checking for voltage at the coils, let us know what you find.

Lain,
A scan tool like the dealers use (Axone, Navigtor, etc) or that some home mechanics have (VDST from Guzzitech and Technoresearch) should quickly point to which part is the problem. I know you can't bring the bike to a dealer, but maybe a Guzzi owner with the Vehicle Diagnostic Scan Tool (VDST) can come by to check your machine. A gift of oil/beer/other commodity may sweeten it.

Your in Australia, right? Perhaps someone at this Aussie board can help: http://home.pacific.net.au/~cusacks4/aigor/

Whatever happens, keep us posted.

Remains a mystery!

I borrowed a trailer and got her to the local bike shop.

After the brisbane (australia) flooding i got in contact with the workshop.

Mechanic reported that he took the plugs out and gave 'em a wipe - she fired straight up!!

As my Old Man would have said (in his very dryest of tones)....'son, its all in the way you hold your mouth'...

All is well that ends well.

Thanks for all your help guys - very much appreciated.

Iain

If its turning over you may be getting spark but no gas to the cylinders.

Have you checked for the dreaded fuel line disconnect?

You remove the gas cap, remove the key from the gas cap - that can be tricky - and then turn ignition on.
If you hear/see switching in the gas tank that's the disconnect problem.
Its gone from a quirk to a syndrome and they should have recalled the Nevada - I have removed my fuel pump about 6x over the past 2 years.

There are a few threads on how to re-clamp the line.
Good luck.
CK

Back