• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

Noise when moving off - New Stelvio

Status
Not open for further replies.

Xlratr62

Just got it firing!
Dear all, hoping for some advice on this problem.

I have a new Stelvio 8v, bought 3 weeks ago. It has now covered only 500km. When cold, and moving off in first gear, there is a horrible binding noise similar to blocked brake pads on a rusty brake disc, combined with vibration through the foot rests. When moving and with the clutch fully engaged I can't hear any further noise, and when the bike has covered a few kilometres the problem is gone.

The bike roles freely, and I assume it is not a brake or wheel problem. It seems that the noise is coming from the rear of the bike somewhere. The noise does not start while I'm letting the clutch in, but immediately when the bike starts moving forward, which makes me believe the problem is somewhere in the wheel transmission.

Obviously the bike is under guarantee, and it will be going for the first service in two weeks. But I would really like some idea of what the problem could be before it goes in.

My Stelvio 8v has 1600 miles on the clock,and just twice it has done exactly as you describe.A kind of graunching noise when first starting off from cold.I think it might be clutch related,but not sure.As I said,it has only done it twice,and never apart from first moving off from home.Anyone any ideas?

Something similar occurs qccassionly with my NTX when first moving off from cold, it's the clutch. I don't understand why it does it but after the first couple of stops within a few minutes the sound does not happen again. I've done about 2200mls now and note that it does not occur as often as the miles rack up.
I assume it's part of the bedding in process and will disappear as the miles mount. Incidentaly I don't remember having anything similar on my 2009 Stelvio, but I believe the clutch has been modified on the later model, so it may be linked to that.
Or perhaps it's just goosed! :lol:

14k + trouble free miles on mine...and it does the same thing periodically. It seems to be the clutch plates warming up to each other. I have heard similar noises on bikes with higher miles, and from what I understand, "they all do that." :lol:

The dry clutch feels a bit different to me before it has warmed up (kinda grabby at times) so I am assuming it needs some temperature to operate as designed.

Just ride it...clutch issues on CARC bike seem to be as rare as hen's teeth, and I have heard enough of them hum like this on pull away to not be concerned; except for the time my wife was on the back, and she thought it happened because she was too heavy ;) ...the Stelvio almost got slapped for implying that!

Thanks for your all your feedback, and thanks Dan for the link. That is exactly what I experience. I have now realised that the problem is the clutch, and it is made worse by my drive-way, which is on an incline. Having to use more throttle when moving off seems to make it much worse than moving off on level ground, where it's hardly noticeable.
I'm actually quite relieved that other owners have the same issue, so I'm just gonna ride it. It does go away very quickly, so as long as it doesn't get worse I'll book it under "character". :)
Thanks again for the feedback.

Hi guys, my Stelvio is a 2009 with about 8500 miles, I experience the same problem of clutch sound, particularly in cold wheater and just for the first miles. The mechanic has not been able to hear it, perhaps because they try it whenthe bike is warmd up enough. Has any one asked MG's customer serice for advise or clarification?

I think my Griso does this. I describe it as a "squawk". Is that the sound you mean? It only happens on pulling away for the first time on a cold engine.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back