• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

Noise

ackers

Just got it firing!
I have just arrived at work (0700 BST - 12 Deg C) after a fast 30 miles blast into Manchester. My Stelvio sounds fine when it is started up cold but has a distinct general engine (not gearbox or CARC) rattle when it is hot. It sounds to come from the top-end and probably biased towards the left hand side but that might be my dodgy ears.

The bike now has 4200 miles on the clock and I always assumed that it was as a result of the new tight engine making the engine/oil overhot, but it isnt going away and, maybe its my imagination, but it seems louder. Before anyone states the obvious, the valve clearances are spot on and I have plenty of oil in!! It kind of detracts from the noise from the open Mistral can!!!

Can other Stelvio owners please let me know if this in normal? Pehaps I could meet up with someone else in the NW of England to compare rattles?

Other than that the Stelvio seems to have got over it's problems of early days with no major whinges to report recently.

:?:

Erm, is yours eligible for the cam/tappets recall, or has it been??

The Cam Follower recall, allegedly, was done by the supplier before I picked the bike up in March.

Of course the dealer All-Bikes Ltd of Rochdale was a complete waste of space and now denies any liability for the issues I encountered early on in my ownership, all of which can be attributed to poor pre-delivery inspection/setup. So I would not bet my bottom dollar that he did not carry out the work but claimed the costs back off Piaggio. It is certainly logged as being done in Piaggios database.

However the plug caps were suppossed to be changed during the recall but they werent!

Hi gang

I think it all sounds a little strange:
All Bikes are a Suzuki dealership and the parts for the technical update came as a kit including plug caps.

When the cam failed on my first bike there was a distinct knock on the top end, the follower cap had failed. It made it sound like it had 3mm of gap instead a few thou.
The second bike was different it was not a failure as such, I believe the cams had worn in the housing creating exessive end float. The sound was like peas rattling around in a tin can or gravel thrown on a tin roof. It only appeared betwwen 2800 and 3000 revs. Although MG stated the bike was perfectly sound the noise has vanished completly since the update. These engine are relatively noisy, every thing is on show in the open. As engines warm up the various metal expand and oil thins
My bike has covered some 12000 miles now and will sound diferent on any given day, one day quiet and sweet another like a bag of spanners in a washing machine.

Loftyjohn

One would hope that Piaggio wouldn't appreciate learning that they were ripped off. You'll see what others more knowledgeable say, but I'd suggest taking her for a looksee at a reputable dealer.

Were those plug caps installed afterwards, and do you have written proof they weren't during the recall?

The old plugs caps are still on!!!!

Obviously they are duly covered in sealant and insulating tape and have a loop of string to aid removal. I butchered them big style when I first took them out to check the valve clearances. They work fine even in heavy rain and All Bikes are denying any, and all, resonsibility for any problems with my bike. In a recent letter they even got a statement for Alan Rodger of Piaggio backing them up. It left a rather bitter taste in my mouth and Mr Rodger had helped when Piaggio refused to replace the second starter motor that failed.

All Bikes gave up their Piaggio franchise last year and sold off their stock cheaply.

If the recall hasnt been done then I look forward to a big blow up from the engine soon. Only problem is that I will have to start running the damn thing in again!!

Bike should still be under warranty why not get it checked out by a proper Guzzi dealer? Maybe Motostrada or John Carr?

ackers said:
I have just arrived at work (0700 BST - 12 Deg C) after a fast 30 miles blast into Manchester. My Stelvio sounds fine when it is started up cold but has a distinct general engine (not gearbox or CARC) rattle.............

Can other Stelvio owners please let me know if this in normal? Pehaps I could meet up with someone else in the NW of England to compare rattles?........................

Other than that the Stelvio seems to have got over it's problems of early days with no major whinges to report recently.

:?:

I live in Rainford near St Helens. if you want to pop over PM me and I'll let you have my phone number. I'm still waiting to have my cam recall done, as the supplying dealer fe*ked up initiating the warranty; I expect it to be completed within next two weeks.

I have done 5500 on my Stelvio and have the same chain rattle noise in my engine that I think you are noticing. Not having had a Guzzi before I am fairly satisfied that it is just one of those noises that you get with the V engine. I'm hoping it is nothing to worry about but reminds me of the similiar noise I used to get on my Honda CX 500's that I rode for thousands of miles with no problems other than a broken cam chain tensioner from time to time. Hoping to get similiar mileage from my Stelvio!! Will get the noise checked out at the next service but it doesn't sound to me a noise that you need to worry about. Let it develop!!

I too rode many tens of thousands of miles on CX500s in the 80's. I had two, both of which had the cam chain tensioner recall done (do you remember what a stink that caused - nowadays a recall seems like a normal event). Neither of my CXs ever rattled and they never had any problems with the cam chain tensioner breaking. The only issue was the mechanical seal behind the water pump impellor which let go every now and then. I still rate them as being one of the most outstanding bikes I have ever owned when compared with the other bikes around at the time.

I owned a CX650 later on in the 90s and that was absolutely brilliant. It was a bit old so had a few corrosion issues on the frame but the engine was magnificent. 65 bhp, smooth as silk, 110mph all day, 50 mpg it was stunning. Why Honda waste time with the Transalp when they could make one of THE best Adventure Trailies with the CX650 engine and shaft drive, I shall never figure out.

Just to put the rattle into context, my other bike is a Cagiva Elefant with a 900SS engine (well it is now!!!) and the famous dry clutch. That kind of rattle I understand and can live with as character - this just sounds like a really really hot engine that is in need of (thicker) oil.

Back