• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

Noisy top end?

Penis Rotor

GT Godfather!
Got a call yesterday from my mate Milton who works at Motorworks in Hobart. They've just PD's their first Stelvio for a customer and he says it has a pronounced metalic 'Knock' from the top end on one pot, (I think he said the right hand one.) anyway he called me up to ask if I had any experience with such things as he was sure the purchaser would pick up on it and the importer had told hime 'They all do that'.

Now obviously it's hard to make any kind of diagnosis without hearing it and Milton being the thorough sort of bloke he is is pulling the cam-box for a looksee but have any Stelvio owners noticed this sort of noise?

Before anyone asks the reason it has taken so long for Oz to get Selvios is because our shipments were held up so the cam updates could be done 'In House' at the factory prior to delivery so we *shouldn't* have any of the soft tappeters and from my own experience of mine I know the 8V motor is a noisy brute but I haven't experienced anything like this 'Knock' which is occuring at well below 1/2 engine speed which is really weird???

Anyway. If anyone would like to comment we'd like input. If Milton finds a problem I'll give feedback here.

Pete

It is noisy from the gears and chains on the cams, but you already know that from the Griso 8V.

No knocking here. I don't believe the 'they all do that' line.

The boys in Houston have mine right now but I haven't noticed anything outside of the normal mechanical rattling around. Nothing out of the ordinary and no change in sound since I got it with around 1200 miles on from the Redneck. I have ridden it from low speed gravel trails to 3 hour flogs at speed.

tc

I'd heard a couple or reports, including one from Milton in Hobart who is an impecable source, that some of the 8V motors were making a cyclic knocking noise from the top end.

Well, I got a call rom an owner today who'se buke was doing this and it turned out to be excessive end float in the rocker shafts/spindles. Seems that they knock when cold but when they warm up they quieten down due to expansion but he put a guage on 'em and detected over 1mm of end float which was causing the knocking and this in turn was being amplified by the rocker cover/head. Which parts will be warrantied I'm not sure and warranty is obviously what it is but I for one would probably just use some thrust washers to quieten things down until the parts arrived.

Pete

Hi Pete, I reset the tappets a few days ago, about 300 miles after the recall was done, I also noticed the end float in the rocker shafts mine are also about 1m/m, thought at the time it could make for a noisy top end, I'll mention it to my dealer, and see what he has to say,regards G

Hey Pete: Just reread your post after posting 'Any Ideas' and it could be what is making the noise based on what you've said, If you get a minute give mine a read and let me know what you think. Thanks ,I will pursue this line with dealer and see what I come up with.
FBC

Could the noise be this: http://www.flickr.com/photos/mattinaskali/4000172418/
I wonder if in your first service they changed to your Stelvio motorcycle oil instead of racing car oil? Because Guzzi has dry clutch, I think it would be better to use oil without fricktion additive.
If I can swap the chain tighteners, I will try and at the same time compare see how they are working. The left one is difficult to remove.

I've got about 300 miles on mine now, and I noticed my top end is noisy. It seems to be worse when it's cold. I hear it mostly under light to moderate loads at about 3200-3500 rpm. Does this match the issue being discussed here? I'd describe the noise as a rapid tapping sound...almost like a rattle, but too consistent. The bike's running great otherwise. Any ideas?

Update: I took it to the dealer today, and he did both a test drive and ran it on his dyno to try and isolate the noise. They listened with a scope as well. Good news is that the noise is not coming from the engine or any other part of the drive train. Bad news is that we can't find where it's coming from.

Since it's getting to be the off-season here, I'll likely take some weekend to go through and make sure every bolt and nut is snug.

Back