• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

Norge 1200 8V "Fall Sensor"

sealpup

Tuned and Synch'ed
Greetings all,

My Norge decided to have a lay down yesterday while the engine was running, and the engine didn't cut out. I'm hoping someone can help me out with the part number of the "Fall Sensor", as Guzzi calls it.

Some Googling came up with part number 584509, which is listed for early CARCS.

An online store has the same part number listed for a bunch of Aprilias, again mostly older ones. Aprilia refers to it as "inclination sensor" or "Tip over sensor".

Could someone please do me a big favour and see if there is a part number on their sensor?

When I get home from work I'll check that the harness colours match those shown on the wiring diagram.

Thanks in anticipation.

Parts manual sez part number 584509 for Norge 1200 IE 8V 2010-2013.

The early Norges (2V) have an "inclination sensor" part number AP8124266.

I can't imagine what the difference would be, they are after all just a simple (inclination) switch.

Thanks Dave for confirming what I thought. The Aprilia store notes that part number AP8124266 was superseded by part 584509. This suggests they are functionally the same, and probably interchangeable.

Cheers,
Greg

Update...

So I can confirm my 2012 Norge is fitted with a Fall Sensor, and it was plugged in.
I was curious to see if it was functional, and if so, at what angle. I removed it from its' mounting (but kept it upright and plugged in), and started the engine, then slowly tilted the sensor to the right. The engine ran until the sensor was at least 90 degrees. This is way beyond the bike resting on it's RH cylinder head. I repeated this 3 or 4 times to prove it, then rotated to the left. This time it cut out at approx the angle the LH cylinder head would touch down.

So far this sensor has proven to highly repeatable but completely ineffective. Maybe that's what you get for $45...

I'm slightly confident the sensor would stop the engine in a more violent fall or crash, but I've had 2 soft falls now (one each side) and it failed to work both times. Off to buy a new sensor. And out of curiosity I 'll do the same tests on the new one.
Will provide feedback when it arrives.

Final Report:

Installed the new Fall Sensor and repeated the testing done previously. This time the engine cut out when the sensor was at approx 60 degrees to the vertical, in both directions. That's what I was expecting to happen. Happy times...

Pulled apart the old sensor and it's like new inside, and works on a very simple principle. No obvious reason why it didn't work as designed.

I was a little puzzled by my sensor last year when I did a rebuild. It did seem sticky and unreliable. I gave it a good shake for 10 minutes. That was quite hard to do! It did seem to have a benefit as the ohm reading dropped to zero on a meter, when the sensor was placed horizontal. If I remember I mean to take it out and give it a shake at each service to keep the contact free of oxidation build up. thank you for your post SealPup, as this should be a good safety feature. It that might not be safe without some intervention.

Back