• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

Norge breather mod

erix2

Tuned and Synch'ed
Hi, after a mate noticed a few puffs of blue smoke while at speed returning from a blast round N.Wales I trawled these forums for advice.
There were a few that mentioned an oily mess in the base of the airbox and I`d had some out of the drain tube.

Thanks to cliffyg for sparking the idea of a mod.

After a struggle with the fuel connector (I was warned!), I found an oily film in the base of the airbox around where the FI inlets are.
Because this is after the air filter element that was clean.

I hope the pics come out....pretty much self explanetary....the old breather inlet is blocked with a yellow cap from a gearoil filler tube.

Eric B)

Great stuff Cliffy !

I studied your previous posts and that gave me the confidence to have a go.

I was initially concerned about the oil mist maybe clogging the air element but as soon as the cover came off it was obvious the filter is unaffected and the breather inlet points directly at the F I trumpets.

I`ve run the bike and it breathes freely through the pipes and bottle with wire wool in it. I cant road test it yet because I`m waiting for an hernia operation but theres no reason why not.

Eric B)

Out of interest, since there is already an oil seperator in the system, how much more will you collect in the bottle, assuming you don't overfill the sump?

No idea Brian....hopefully enough to justify fitting it.....or it will come off....:p

I had a fair bit of "mayonnaise" out of the drain tube from the airbox, if it takes that away from the seperator (and contaminating the oil) and the airbox then I will stand it.

You will have read the same posts as I have m8....;)

Hope this helps.

Eric B)

Can someone pls explain a bit more. On pic 2 the tube (drain)running from the front of the airbox to the rear left to right black clipped in the middle - is that the a drain for the plastic housing with engine pipes screwed on the front on the airbox? What does the this do? The drain blocks at the front with mayonaise. A breva 1100 seems a little different at the rear no bottle.

Hi Neil,

The clear pipe I fitted is on the breather outlet from the oil seperator which is mounted seperately at the front of the airbox.

The original pipe goes from there to the airbox where I blocked off with a yellow cap you see in the other pics.

The drain from the airbox (near the r/hand footpeg) is now not used and remains capped.

Hope this helps...

Eric B)

yes thanks. I now understand the housing is the oil separator. It splits the oil from the air out of the engine and the oil gets dumped down the drain pipe.

nel wrote:
yes thanks. I now understand the housing is the oil separator. It splits the oil from the air out of the engine and the oil gets dumped down the drain pipe.
No the oil from the seperator is fed back into the sump. The drain pipe is only there to drain what little might get past the seperator into the airbox. So if you reroute the breather bypassing the air box, then that drain will be redundant.

All good stuff but I'd have used oil resitant tubing.

It's not only oil getting into the airbox which is the problem, it's also water vapour which contaminates the engine oil and which is injested by the throttles.

Getting the breathers out of the airbox and into a catch can made a HUGE difference to throttle response on my Buell. If I had more energy I'd do the same for my Breva. What comes out of the catch can is about 99% water and 1% oil. When you see how much oil is in the airbox of a Breva it menas that far more water vapour is involved too, some of it in mixed with the egine oil. getting the breathers into a catch can does add a minor servicing operation but the cleaner engine oil will pay huge dividends over time.

Graham

Or, since the amounts involved are trivial & no doubt come out drop by drop, just route it away from in front of the rear tire & let it drain to the ground as have breather hoses from time immemorial (in biking terms).

Well said Bob, I recall seeing an Aermacchi racer many years ago that had an enormous bore pipe exiting at the tailpiece. It was nearly as big as the exhaust and must have given anyone following a face full at times....:laugh:

However, whether we like it or not, we have a responsibility to stop and think for a mo about stuff like this.

Its no big deal to put a small canister in line, mine was a cod liver oil capsule bottle with some wire wool in and the pipe exits behind the pillion footpeg.

I`m no tree hugger (they`ll be telling us to fart into a vaccuum cleaner next...:blush: ) or preacher so forgive me if it comes across like this...... :eek:hmy: ....:lol:

Eric B)

You don't need to be a truu hegger (ok, that's a real slip-up that I'm going to leave there :)) to find oily messes ... messy. Unsightly.

I was reminded of an ex-member who had a Breva and probably still has a Norge on his "porch" ... I reckon he'd prefer to keep those stones (marble?) free of oil drops!

I can't wait to do this mod. Going to tear the air box a part as well. More air is more good.

RJVB wrote:
You don't need to be a truu hegger (ok, that's a real slip-up that I'm going to leave there :)) to find oily messes ... messy. Unsightly.

I was reminded of an ex-member who had a Breva and probably still has a Norge on his "porch" ... I reckon he'd prefer to keep those stones (marble?) free of oil drops!

Know a lot of people who park their bikes on their porch? Unless there is something wrong, the amounts of oil are truly trivial, and if not made to accumulate in the air box or elsewhere, would come out through a breaher hose little bit by little bit. My T3 has this almost 1" OD hose that sticks out from the bike such that absolutely no oil winds up on the bike. When I park it after a ride there may be a couple of drops at most underneath it. Actually, the Norge deposits more, not less under wherever it is parked. This seems to be cause instead of being blown out drop by drop as you ride, the oil accumulates in the air box & hose during the ride, then when parked unless I pull the plug to drain it or put something underneath it to catch it, the oil drips past the plug on to the floor/ground, despite the wire clamp. Just the way it is.

A few, and way more who park on public side-walks. I find it inacceptable if a brand-new $$$ bike drips oil, whatever the reason, esp. if that old wreck parked a few meters to the side doesn't.
I know about the drip on the Norge's willy. Happens after you've drained the tube a couple of times. I just put a tie around it (one of those screw-tight metal collars). Haven't seen a drip since, and cost me nothing.

Hi all:

I saw Cliff's original post on re-routing the breather overflow pipe, especially where he said it reduced pinging. I don't understand why it would, but am willing to give it a try if it will reduce pinging. I would like to modify the airbox as both Borderer and Cliff have, but I have two reservations:

- Want to wait till after the warranty runs out in case there are any implications.
- In closed loop operation, the ECU should be able to adjust the mixture for this increase in airflow, but what about when the bike goes open loop (more than 30% throttle)? Won't it run lean as the Oxygen sensor will not longer be able to regulate the mixture?

Eric, I would like to ask you:

- Did the mod reduce pinging on your bike (assuming you had this problem?)?
- What is that metal box behind the airbox, with a couple of tubes coming out of it?

Thanks,

Jason

Hi Jason,

I too share your reservations regarding the warranty, I have around 18 months left on mine. I stopped short of "getting the Dremel out" for that reason.....Apart from cutting 1/2 inch off the vertical stack which is positioned inside the element ( see Airbox Mods post) everything can be put back to standard inside an hour.

I have a good relationship with my dealer, Shorrocks, nr Preston, and I wouldnt like to put them in a difficult situation by taking my bike in for some tank-off warranty work having taken a knife and fork to the airbox.....:laugh:

Havn`t noticed any pinging at all since I`ve had the bike.

The unit behind the airbox is Luigi`s ABS system.....which works BTW....:)

hope this helps,

Eric B)

Back