• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

Norge Conspiracy theory

Fergo

Just got it firing!
A few years ago I rode my Cali through Norway to Nordkapp. From there we dropped down to Europe and I fancied trying to at least partly follow the route famously taken by Carlo and Guiseppe Guzzi which laid the foundation of the Norge legend.

All good, except that despite vast research effort then and again recently, I can find no details at all; not a date, not a map, not a newspaper report, nothing from Moto Guzzi themselves.

Look at a map and the nearest, most accessible point on the Arctic circle is at Rovaniemi, in Finland. To get to Norway by land would mean essentially passing through there, then crossing Sweden, a difficult and somewhat pointless task. Of course they could enter Norway via Denmark and a ferry, but then the treck to the Arctic Circle is complex. Exponentially so before fiordland had roads and ferries as today. Even we abandoned that for a route through Sweden. Had they gone through Finland to Nordkapp, then we would have heard about that.

So did some marketing guy in 1929 decide that a "Suomi" just wouldn't sell?

If anyone has some better information, I'd be really keen to hear about it.

cheers,

JFerg

Seems the explanation is simple: the machine is named after the destination's country (the destination itself being already used as the name for another Piaggio model!), not after the route taken...

I don't realy mind if the story is true or not. Drove already my 2007 Norge twice to Nordkapp : once over Norway , once over Sweden. Great trips and the Norge just drove fine. Will pass the +100k Km by end September.Take care . Marc (Belgium)

RJVB said:
Seems the explanation is simple: the machine is named after the destination's country (the destination itself being already used as the name for another Piaggio model!), not after the route taken...

Maybe, except they claimed Arctic Circle not just Norway

We should be kind to John, he's only just come to terms with the fact that there are other types of tyres than beaded edge and that gear change levers (sorry, change speed levers) don't have to be tank-mounted

All very wonderful, but still avoiding the main issue; where is there any period mention of this legendary trip?

It is regarded as a very big deal now, and these days we refer to the original GT as the "Norge", but where is some proof? A period photo at the arctic circle? Extracts from their journals? The newspaper reports? Civic reception for the returning heroes? Surely there was published a map showing the route of this great exploit? They'd have it on every dealer's showroom wall, wouldn't they, being as it was such an achievement? Why didn't Mario Colombo include a few details in his fabulous book? Even the factory museum has no details.

Apparently and allegedly there is a report of the ride in MotoCiclismo from early 1929, but my local newsagent has sold out. I am chasing this, and one day will find it. I might ask someone at the GMG....

The factory themselves were of no help, either in '06 when I was chasing this seriously, or now. However, no answer is a common response, so is not conclusive.

The current version of the story has grown somewhat from the original claim, which was "to the Arctic circle in Norway", or words to that effect. Nordkapp is a new addition.

And Pete, tank-mounted gates are for girls, just like positive stop 'boxes. I just won't have a machine taht's smarter than me, a problem 'coz I'm not too bright anyway...

JFerg

Back