• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

Norge Front Brake Caliper

bsahdmg

Just got it firing!
I have a 07 Norge that needs a front tire. I am having a real hard time with both bottom bolts on the front calipers. The top ones came loose but I have broken tools trying to get the bottoms ones out. I do not want to damage the screws but am getting nowhere. I know that heat would help but don't like this idea. In fact I think it's a bad idea. Has anyone else had this issue and if so what did you do to get them out ? I'm open to suggestions.

Not at all familiar with the Norge but am very familiar with stuck bolts. I can't find a pic of how those calipers mount up; how about posting one if you can so I can get a better idea of what we are dealing with.

I am curious if you are having problems with both sides lower bolts or just one side? I kinda hate to suggest this but are you sure it is the mounting bolts you are trying to remove & not the caliper assembly bolts?

If this is the first time they are being taken off there is the possibility that they were over tightened or cross threaded at the factory. If that is the case (cross threaded) you are probably looking at drilling them out but lets not jump to any hasty conclusions. Hit the parts store & see if they have products like DB Blaster or Sea Foam, the more common ones like WD40, CRC or Liquid Wrench are passable. Start spraying it down with any of these rust busters and have patience. You may want to spray them over a few days. Heat will work but in this case it's going to discolor and damage other stuff.

I just looked at the Cali and like my old T's it it using an allen wrench socket head screw. If you have access to an air compressor and an impact you can cut an allen wrench and fit it into an impact socket and gently let the impact wrench vibrate the bolt. If you don't have air then cut the allen wrench so it is straight, put it in the bolt, put a 6 point box wrench on the allen wrench and while holding steady firm pressure on the box wrench tap the end of the allen wrench with a decent hammer. Vibration can work wonders for a stuck bolt.

PS: Cut the allen wrench short it will be easier to work with and will be more effective for tapping with hammer.

http://cybermotorcycle.com/gallery/moto_guzzi/Moto_Guzzi_2007_Norge.htm

You have a frozen bolt. Soak it with lubricant overnight but do not get any on the brake pad or you will ruin it, then go to Sears and buy this:

http://www.sears.com/neiko-1-2-inch...SPM2665972601P?prdNo=2&blockNo=2&blockType=G2

with the appropriate metric size allen head tip that you need, like this:

http://www.sears.com/craftsman-5-8-...p-00946672000P?prdNo=3&blockNo=3&blockType=G3

It should let loose, if not, get any old piece of pipe that the end of the breaker bar can fit into, say about 3' in length, to effectively increase the length of the breaker bar and thereby radically increase the torque. The bolt WILL come loose. No hammer, no impact driver, no heat, no damage. Be sure to wire brush the bolt clean and remove all lubricant from it and the hole before reassembly. Retorque to proper tightening spec.

Easy, non damaging.

Or if you like, send me a Private Message and I will give you my phone #. Drive 86 miles North to Findlay, OH and we'll toss her on my lift and use my tools for free. I have a complete professional setup.

These particular bolts are the specific Brembo ones and are Hex Socket head bolts. They are 7mm so require a 7mm Allen key. Now, as I found out the hard way, a 7mm Allen key is rarer than the proverbial hen's teeth (or should that be rocking horse shit?). You can get them but they are usually part of a pretty big set, and quality is variable. Stay away from the ball headed types as these little babies (screws) have a shallow hex in them. There are some great tool kits available in the US that include the 7mm Allen Key.

I took my bike to a dealer to replace the tyres - Guess what? They wrecked these bolts - probably because they didn't have the correct sized Allen key. The good side is they are available from an authorised Guzzi dealer for small change (I think I paid about $4 each for mine).

I ended up using an EziOut to remove the screws (they had been overtightened and the hex socket chewed right out). A set of EzyOuts is a good inexpensive addition to any tool kit - get one with the correct drills supplied with the kit (as opposed to the set of EzyOuts only).

As Scott says, you will need to drill the bolts carefully and use an EzyOut to unscrew the bolt. Do this after you buy a set of the correct bolts so you are not off the road waiting for parts.

So... if you use my method, you'll also need a 1/2 to 3/8 adapter and this:

http://www.sears.com/craftsman-7mm-hex-bit-socket/p-00942677000P?prdNo=1&blockNo=1&blockType=G1

If you lubricate it well and let it sit overnight before removing it, you shoul not damage the bolts at all. I would use a few q-tips with alcohol and then a few dry ones and remove all oil from inside the hex head before placing the tool in and applying torque force. Dry tool surface to dry hex head surface. ;)

Thanks for all the feed back. Here's what I have done already. A 3/8 drive socket tool with a allen tip is a no go. It breaks. I purchased a 7mm allen wrench. I have taken a punch and hit the inside of the allen bolt to try and jar it. Then using the allen wrench with a cheater pipe about 12" long I put a lot of pressure on it and have hit the end of the allen wrench (where it bends so I was driving the tip into the bolt). No luck. Then I drove down on or hit down on the cheater pipe hoping to jar the bolts loose. No luck. There is a paint mark on both the lower bolts and I can tell someone at one time or another has over tighten them. I was pretty sure these were bolts made for the calipers which means if I drill them out I will have to order new one. Nearest dealer is 150 miles away. I would not try heating the caliper because it will be junk if I do. I am also worried about using spray lube. Will it mess up the paint on the shock housing or the caliper ? I have not tried cutting the allen wrench and using it in a socket with a air impact. I will try this tomorrow. I am a mechanic by trade and have all the tools I need but as one knows we all have some treats of the trade and was hoping someone had one for this problem. This sucks because I really want to ride to the National Rally. Thanks again for your input.

bsahdmg said:
...I am a mechanic by trade and have all the tools I need but as one knows we all have some treats of the trade and was hoping someone had one for this problem...

Well why didn't you say so in the first place? That's a Horse of a Different Color...
wizardofoz_frankmorgan_02.jpg

Due to the bolts being a different metal than the fork tube, a redox chemical reaction has taken place between the metals and the metals are now fused. The impact driver is a workable idea but in the past, I have found that using the maximum air pressure/force setting is not the way to go. I have had much better results with longer duration hammering at a lower pressure, and reversing the direction back and forth, effectively breaking the metal surfaces apart from one another SLOWLY and also thereby preserving the female hex head shape.

Saran Wrap covered with paper towels works great for wrapping around parts you want to avoid over-spray of penetrating oil onto.

I also have this which will not shatter...

http://www.sears.com/gearwrench-843...SPM7154151002P?prdNo=1&blockNo=1&blockType=G1

It seems a bit tight hey? even after hitting and lots of applied torque. Heat is the only thing left apart from drilling. Use a hair dryer, soft and gentle with little chance of head damaging the finish. Or a paint stripper gun, carefully.

Not shifted it yet?

Loctite 8040 Freeze & Release. This stuff works the same as heat but in the opposite direction and without the damage heat can cause.

iainw said:
Not shifted it yet?

Loctite 8040 Freeze & Release. This stuff works the same as heat but in the opposite direction and without the damage heat can cause.

SWEET! I learned something new today... Thanks very much! :D

The first thing I need to do is learn how to spell. LOL. Treats of the trade ? Tricks work better ! I will work on it tonight and see what I can do. Thanks for the tip on the loctite.

Problem solved. Good old air impact and a 1/2" drive by 7mm impact tool. Best $16.00 I've spent in a long time.
Thanks again for all your input.

Back