• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

Norge Fuel Filter

StormShearon

Cruisin' Guzzisti
Well, just to let everyone know, as a preventative measure, I decided to change out the fuel filter on my '07 Norge (~10K miles) today. I got one of the all metal units from MI on Saturday and replaced the filter today. They also had fuel hose to replace the short section from the filter to the outlet and the necessary hose clamps.

Boy am I glad I did it - I just hope the engine has not suffered any damage from the crud coming out of the filter along with the fuel. Just like several others, I had the half plastic, half metal filter and the plastic, though it had not failed, was about as soft as marshmellow. Plus, there was some black particulate mixed in with the gas - the filter itself slowly disintegrating with the ethanol in the fuel? Well I do not know, but I kept the filter and will ping MI and see if they want to take a look at it as it might be something to ping the factory about.

For anyone else out there in Norge land, I highly recommend checking the filter or having it checked by a good dealermechanic and if it is one of the half plastic, half metal units replace it as soon as possible.

I did not post any pictures as there are several already posted if anyone wants to see what the unit looks like.

I also did the replacement as a preventative measure and found exactly the same stuff. What ever possessed them to use that type of filter?
Bob

If my memory serves me right, someone on the other forum mentioned that fuel filter replacement requires installation of new clamps, and those clamps are impossible to find in auto parts stores. Can anyone clarify what is needed? I thoughts that clamps are reusable.

The stock clamps are a one use item that require a special tool to clamp. MI sold me the new fuel hose and clamps (stainless steel, screw type with rolled edges). They had them in stock and recommended their use as they have had issues with the Fuel Injection specific clamps and don't use them anymore.

Thanks,it explains. Since MI has catalog "on the way" for as long as I own my Breva, how do you work with them? You call and ask if they got what you need?

3ackok wrote:
If my memory serves me right, someone on the other forum mentioned that fuel filter replacement requires installation of new clamps, and those clamps are impossible to find in auto parts stores. Can anyone clarify what is needed? I thoughts that clamps are reusable.

These are the exact replacement clamps needed to replace the fuel filter in the Norge. http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayI ... 0059178665 .

They require a special tool to crimp them but the same ebay seller sells the tool. You may be able to get by without the tool if you modify a pair of wire cutters by filing down the cutting edges to make them dull. Once these clamps are crimped around the fuel filter hoses, those hoses aren't going anywhere. Mine wouldn't even rotate on the filter once crimped.

Now that I've replaced the OEM bulging half plastic half metal filter with the all metal filter I got from MG Cycle, I'm confident that it should not have to be replaced again any time soon.

3ackok,
Well when I deal with MI, I just ride or drive over to the shop and talk face to face. If you are too far away to do that, then calling them on the phone will do the trick. You want to talk with Greg Field in parts.

azccj,
On that special tool and clamps - can it be used with different ID clamps, i.e. bigger and smaller? How much did it cost? (if not too much, I might want to add one to the tool box).

StormShearon wrote:
3ackok,
Well when I deal with MI, I just ride or drive over to the shop and talk face to face. If you are too far away to do that, then calling them on the phone will do the trick. You want to talk with Greg Field in parts.

azccj,
On that special tool and clamps - can it be used with different ID clamps, i.e. bigger and smaller? How much did it cost? (if not too much, I might want to add one to the tool box).

The tool works with all the different size clamps as fas as I know. Cost $28.23 from the same ebay seller.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... 3D1&_rdc=1

azccj wrote:
StormShearon wrote:
3ackok,

azccj,

The tool works with all the different size clamps as fas as I know. Cost $28.23 from the same ebay seller.

We used these type clamps on fuel lines for a heavy equipment rental company I used to work for. Not every mechanic had this tool in their tool box, mostly we just used a pair of side cutters ( wire cutters). They worked quite well, never had a failure. Just be sure to not over tighten or sueeze too hard as you might cut through the clamp. Not likely though as they seam to be made from spring steel ( very hard to cut through).
Cheers, Speedy

I understand that some cheap tile nippers will do the job though I just used a regular pair of ss screw clamps. No problems after 3 or 4? thousand miles.

I can't recall if I asked and/or was answered, so:

how do those of you in the know think the OEM filter will stand up to increased ethanol percentages in the fuel? We're supposed to evolve to E10 (10% ethanol) from E5 here, and from what I read, the US will see E15 sometime soon.

Piaggio has been running tests on the effects of these new, supposedly more 'eco' fuels, and not long ago our local CEO (Driessen) mentioned on some sort of interview over a relay "chat" that all current production Piaggio vehicles are compatible. Not a very trust-inspiring medium... anyone here got access to the official word?

I changed the filter last week. It was somewhat soft and bulging, but I'm not sure that it would get worse and fail. Anyway, I haven't seen a new filter and couldn't compare look and feel. Also I don't remember any reports on filter ruptures.

3ackok said:
It was somewhat soft and bulging, but I'm not sure that it would get worse and fail.
There has been at least two reported failures that I am aware of. Mine too was soft and bulging, so I'm glad I got to it when I did.

Back