• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

Norge in my future

Cowgirl

Just got it firing!
I've been researching a new bike to replace my Honda PC800 and I think the Norge is it. I plan on doing some ambitious touring starting with the Going to the Sun road in Glacier Natn'l Park - I live on Vancouver Island in BC. I'm not too tall - 5'5"- and I've been riding for, oh, 30 yrs or so. My local dealer has a new 2009 and a dealer not too far away has a 2007 with 28000 km. Both of them are silver. I'm leaning toward the 2007 since it already has the low seat option and a top box. Any feedback? Thanks.

Cowgirl,

Just picked up my new (leftover) '08 Norge last week. Promptly took it out for a 1000 mile mini-tour of New Hampshire, northern Vermont and the eastern Townships of southern Quebec (yes, I did the break in oil and filter change mid-trip).

Excellent bike. Nice torquey motor, flawless fuel injection, smooth shifting trans (this is a Guzzi?), and super nice handling-- a very light feel that belies the size of the machine. In general, a very well thought out package with the one glaring exception of the center stand clearance issue. Watch yourself if you like to lean! Adding 20 clicks to the rear spring preload seemed to cure it, but once you've grounded the stand a couple times, it takes a while to rebuild your confidence! I may just yank the thing and keep it in my garage for maintenance purposes.

Hope you enjoy yours as much as I'm liking mine!

Cowgirl said:
I'm leaning toward the 2007 since it already has the low seat option and a top box. Any feedback? Thanks.
Find out when the production month/date of the '07 was, and post it before you buy. There is a run of failed oil pumps within a range that I would steer away from. Otherwise, they are very solid bikes outside of the few other "glitches" you'll find here.

Great bikes like already has been said
lock tight the center stand cap screws they tend to come loose.
after close to 5k on mine the above mentioned is it
Also if passing thru Spokane give a shout.

So now I've found a red one (the fast one :laugh: ) which is the colour that I really truly desire. It too is a 2007 with very low miles. I've read about the suspension mods and I figure I can do that down the road if I feel the need after the first big trip but are there some engine mods I'll have to make too? I don't mind doing my own wrenching and I'm looking forward to hooking up to the computer and figuring that all out but I really don't want to have to change a bunch of stuff on a new bike to make it run properly. Please give me the straight poop - I'm already in love with this thing and I've only seen pictures of the red one - I've sat on a silver one :D so I don't want to wake up to warts that I could have known about before hand.
Thanks
Cindy

Some early Norges, and it seems only Norges, had oil pumps of questionable quality. Also some early ones seem to have had problems with the retainer washer on the pinion nut of the final drive not being engaged leading to the CARC destroying itself. This is a reason to be super wary and check it as a replacement CARC is HIDEOUSLY expensive and if the bike is out of warranty you'll be unlikely to get much help. The fairings are fragile and crack prone and even anorexic midgets need a stronger spring on the rear shock.

Pete

Thanks Pete. The bike I'm looking at is a demo with 1900 miles at a dealer so it will come with full factory warranty. I've asked about the production date as advised earlier - waiting to hear back on that. The dealer tells me the centre stand has already been modified and it has the longer dipstick - I'm assuming the stock suspension though. The dealer also has 2 new 2008s - 1 black, 1 silver and there's a new 2009 silver one here in Victoria - but the red is soooo beautiful :p It's a 2.5 hour ferry trip away so it'll be next week before I see it - and since it's the demo I should get to ride it too :cheer:
Cindy

Cowgirl said:
Thanks Pete. The bike I'm looking at is a demo with 1900 miles at a dealer so it will come with full factory warranty. I've asked about the production date as advised earlier - waiting to hear back on that. The dealer tells me the centre stand has already been modified and it has the longer dipstick - I'm assuming the stock suspension though. The dealer also has 2 new 2008s - 1 black, 1 silver and there's a new 2009 silver one here in Victoria - but the red is soooo beautiful :p It's a 2.5 hour ferry trip away so it'll be next week before I see it - and since it's the demo I should get to ride it too :cheer:
Cindy

I am an owner of a 2007 red Norge that, unhappily, experienced both of the events Pete described. :woohoo:

Happily, however, both were under warranty, tho out-of-pocket costs were still extensive as, e.g., I shipped the Norge to MPH in Houston because no competent Guzzi dealer was in Atlanta at the time.

That said, the Norge provides great joy and, as I am slow of thought and easily moved by the charm of virtually everything Italian, if it were to be trashed today (and I were not!), I'd replace it with another rather than any of its seeming competitors.

Still, as Pete points out, a wise buyer is wary. Sounds as if you are engaged in due diligence (well, except the insisting-on-red part, but anyone with any sense of passion understands that :p ) and will choose based on heart with enough head tossed in to make a smart decision.

If I went with the red 2007, I'd try to sort out where its VIN sat in relation to the early ones. Think the "registry" on this site has that info. I would also try to work some sort of warranty extension or other contract addendum with the dealer or -- better -- Piaggio about both of those issues, i.e., oil-pump failure and CARC implosion.

Best wishes in your decision. Whatver you decide upon, you have many miles of smiles ahead.

Bill

If you are talking of the one at Moto International, I rode that one. I purchased a black one that had 5 miles on it. I decided that I wanted a year newer and I wanted to put all of the miles on it myself. Maybe some day I can paint flames on the tank or something.
Can you bring the bike to Canada without any hassles?
You will Really like Moto International, they are GREAT people.

Scott of the Sahara said:
Can you bring the bike to Canada without any hassles?
You will Really like Moto International, they are GREAT people.

I bought my Stelvio from MI and imported it to Canada. Dave at MI knows the drill and does as much of the legwork for you as possible including faxing the required paperwork to the proper US CBP group. Unfortunately you are left with doing the stuff he can't do like getting the RIV check (all they do is confirm the VIN - the same thing the Cdn border folks do, and you have to get it done at Crappy Tire of all places) and safety (any licensed motorcycle shop can do this). Unfortunately Dave does pay your sales taxes on importing the bike. :(

He will also drive the bike to the Surrey border crossing for you, but sounds like you're doing as the Tamils do and importing by boat. The Surrey border crossing is great because they deal with so many vehicle imports that they don't even bother to validate the VINs - they just stamp your papers and and you're off tot he races (or at least to pay your HST!)

Cory

Cowgirl said:
Cindy

Since this is coming from MI you can assume all important things have been done. Do make sure however, because it is very easy & very important, that the rubber centerstand stop, which is on the left side of the stand & prevents the metal of the stand from banging against the metal of the muffler, has been cut down to almost nothing-like 1/8". Costs nothing to do, takes a couple minutes tops, & makes centerstand grinding much, much harder to do.

I bought a 2008 black norge from British/Italian in 2009 and in 10000 kms all is good. A few little things but nothing major. Ask about the fuel filter and change it to an all metal one if it has the stock one, change the mirrors to the 1200 sport mirrors, they are far superior mirrors. I had electrical gremlins with my windscreen but solved that(loose connector under the tank). Have someone show you how to remove the bags, it stumped me until I was shown the little clips under the black side covers, I could get the bags loose but not off. Finding the recommended oil is a little hard, no one seems to carry 10w-60.
Bob

As you have deduced it is the red one at MI that I am interested in. Dave has been very helpful. I have imported bikes into Canada before as I bought my 2 previous PCs in the US but I'm going to take full advantage of any help Dave can give me. I've used both the Douglas (Surrey) crossing and the Port Angeles crossing and both were easy to deal with.
I really appreciate all the feedback - please keep it coming.
Cindy

The used 2007 at Valley Yamaha in Chilliwack has a production date of 02/2007 - how does that fit into the oil pump problem range?
Cindy

Cowgirl said:
The used 2007 at Valley Yamaha in Chilliwack has a production date of 02/2007 - how does that fit into the oil pump problem range?
Cindy

Welcome,and you'll find the Norge is a *great* mile eater. I would be concerned about the oil pump on that one. I'm not sure, but I *think* 06 build, and very early 07 build is suspect.

I sent you an e-mail about this but I'll post it for all to see.

I confirmed that Piaggio provides a North American-wide warranty (possibly worldwide) so a US bike imported into Canada remains covered by the original warranty and vice-versa. Unfortunately Piaggio doesn't warrant that you will have a competent dealer within a days drive to be able to take advantage of this warranty, and I was told that all warranty work has to be completed by an authorized Piaggio-trained mechanic (although I never really pushed them on this, I'm sure there is some flexibility if such a mechanic is not within a reasonable vicinity).

Cory

Chuck in Indiana said:
Cowgirl said:
Cindy

Welcome,and you'll find the Norge is a *great* mile eater. I would be concerned about the oil pump on that one. I'm not sure, but I *think* 06 build, and very early 07 build is suspect.

Concur, Chuck.

Remember, tho, that it has certainly not been every early Norge that is affected, but a large number, statistically speaking, I think, for the few produced. In fact, I think that Piaggio, in its typical (and usually somewhat charming) "Owner-Managed R&D Program," knew about this early on and has -- to its shame, IMO -- simply waited for the pumps to fail and deal with the eaches rather than manfully (apologies, I am woefully sexist :p ) own up to the error and intiate a recall on its own. It would be difficult to fault someone who filed a complaint with the US NHTSA that might lead to a recall.

In my own case, actual failure and engine-seizure occurred -- in my mother's driveway -- literally at the and of a 1300-mile trip, two-up, and after many miles of very spirited riding. Had that happened in any of the many mountain roads we leaned in or on the interstate on re-entry to Atlanta, the ending would likely have been catastrophic, not convenient. As I told Piaggio, they (and Kathi and I, too) were lucky to have a living unhappy customer to deal with rather than our estate. I did not mention that my attack-dog brother, a litigation-savvy lawyer of formidable and aggressive legal skills and courtroom "trophies," would have represented our departed souls. ;)

So, if you otherwise have the hots for this particular machine and it's a good deal, consider asking the dealer [or Piaggio NA ... and, yes, I understand that as ... uhm ... "not always customer-care award winners" as is Piaggio NA for US customers, you Canadians have the Lagos version! :whistle: ] " any or all of the following:

* Check ECU for errors (unless already cleared), especially those involving oil pressure

* Ride or simply start the beauty and see if you get any untoward dash warnings. If the latter (starting only), do this several times. In EVERY case with which I am aware, the dash warned of impending failure. In the "early days" of Norges (2007), we were told simply to ride it, etc. I can understand that and did so. Even replaced the oil-pressure sensor -- three times! :blink: But, doh, it was not a sensor, computer, or anyhting else electronic, but failed metal.

* Pull the oil pump and examine it for flaws. I have been told this might take a couple of labor hours. I say this, quite aware that I am a liberal-arts guy who will take every one of the next three days over the Labor Day weekend in my garage just to get the @#$%^& red tupperware back on my Norge after stripping her for a major service! Still, while I have seen the end result -- i.e., the broken pump pieces -- from my own and others' Norges, suspect that you might also see some telltale signs of impending failure or, as has been the case in at least one, find the pump already broken a bit and waiting for that dark road in the middle night just outside the city limits of BFE, Canada, to say, "Time to walk, Cindy."

* The Piaggio warranty is "fixed," but I can assure you that Piaggio NA has the authority to provide a letter to you that, as a practical matter, provides the same thing in an extension. Accordingly, I recommend that you say that you wish to have such a letter, extending to the oil pump and CARC, including consequential damages, for some additional period, say a year beyond the present warranty.

OK, enough. As I said before, I'd buy a replacement Norge if mine died in a crash (and I didn't :eek:hmy: ).

Best wishes in this fun time of looking, deciding, choosing, riding, grinning, and more.

Bill

If you buy the red one from MI, at least you know you'll have a real warranty and they will sort anything that goes wrong, if anything should go wrong

Is the RED warranty extra special because the RED bikes go so much faster they break more .. :woohoo:

Art
Stealth Black Breva 1100

guzzi jon said:
If you buy the red one from MI, at least you know you'll have a real warranty and they will sort anything that goes wrong, if anything should go wrong

Bingo!

There are only a handful (uhm .. and it's a small hand) of Guzzi dealers in the US about that sort of thing may be honestly said.

In the meantime, I'm ignoring Art. :p

Back