• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

Norge in my future

Chuck in Indiana said:
.... I *think* 06 build, and very early 07 build is suspect.

I am unaware of any failures later than 11/06 build date, & I have been watching this pretty carefully, since my build date in 5/07. Anybody know differently? If so, specifics please, inc build date of failure. Also, any cases in which anyone is sure that there was NOT some kind of dashboard warning, generally oil pressure indicator, as Bill has indicated?

guzzibob said:
Chuck in Indiana said:
.... I *think* 06 build, and very early 07 build is suspect.

I am unaware of any failures later than 11/06 build date, & I have been watching this pretty carefully, since my build date in 5/07. Anybody know differently? If so, specifics please, inc build date of failure. Also, any cases in which anyone is sure that there was NOT some kind of dashboard warning, generally oil pressure indicator, as Bill has indicated?

Regrettably, I am aware of one red -- hmmmmmm, surely that's not the pattern! Art canNOT be right! :eek:hmy: -- Norge with a May 2007 build date having a oil pump go to pieces. For whatever comfort this is to someone with another "Annata Maggio 2007," that one had the "lights," too.

Bill

Damn! Guess I'll have to remain vigilant. Can you tell me who, & is he on line? Know how many miles? Anyway, thanks.

I had pretty much decided against the silver 2007 in Chilliwack anyway since it is the only real used one and your comments have clinched that. I'm going to go down to Seattle on Wednesday to see and hopefully ride the red one at MI. They also have 2 new 2008s. There's also a new 2009 here in Victoria - the biggest problem with that one is the price - over $6K more than the ones from MI. Thanks Cory and everyone for the info on the warranty - Dave at MI has also confirmed all the bikes including the demo will have full factory warranty that is honoured in Canada. I need to check with my local dealer that they can do warranty work and/or they have a qualified technician.
OK, here's a tough question. I've been reading lots here and on Wild Goose so I need to know - if I choose to can I ride the Norge straight out of the box so to speak or will I have to make these recommended mods? How many people on here have pure stock bikes? I have a friend with the perfect bike garage and every tool known to humankind so spending the winter in the garage with him would be a great bonding experience :) but will I have to? He's a Beemer fanatic and is trying to convert me but those big heavy boring behemoths just have no soul - guess that says something about our personalities, eh? I'm not dissuaded just trying to make an informed decision.
Thanks
Cindy
PS The red one's production date in June 2007.

Plenty of people have stock, or very close to stock, bikes. Be they Norges or any of the other models. While certain things like the rear shock spring are a really good idea to replace not doing so isn't going to make the bike unrideable, simply more likely to grind itself away and hence more care has to be taken to avoid risks. I do know plenty of people though who's bikes are stock and they are happy with them, especially if they are actually pre-delivered and set up right!

The options for *enhancing* or improving the looks, performance, behaviour of Guzzis on the whole is more limited than with many other brands simply due to the small market share and low numbers but they are there. For many owners simply getting the bike tuned and set up properly will make them more than happy as the sad truth of the matter is that many, many dealers don't have people with the skills or enthusiasm to actually do a full service/tune.

From then on the world is your oyster. You can opt to simply ride it as is and enjoy or work your way through any and all options up to ECU reflashing and/or the full monty PCV/AT set up. None of that is 'Necessary' or 'Vital' for the enjoyment of the bike though. The modern machines are, generally, very pleasant to live with and easy to ride.

Pete

Good advise from Pete. I would like to add that the bikes do very from bike to bike more than you would think, & that many of the mods/improvements can be done incrementally or not at all depending upon the characteristics of your particular bike & what you want/need as an individual rider/owner. As the saying goes, different strokes for different folks. One rider's "must have" is another rider's "would like" & yet another rider's "why bother?"

pete roper said:
Plenty of people have stock, or very close to stock, bikes. Be they Norges or any of the other models. While certain things like the rear shock spring are a really good idea to replace not doing so isn't going to make the bike unrideable, simply more likely to grind itself away and hence more care has to be taken to avoid risks. I do know plenty of people though who's bikes are stock and they are happy with them, especially if they are actually pre-delivered and set up right!

The options for *enhancing* or improving the looks, performance, behaviour of Guzzis on the whole is more limited than with many other brands simply due to the small market share and low numbers but they are there. For many owners simply getting the bike tuned and set up properly will make them more than happy as the sad truth of the matter is that many, many dealers don't have people with the skills or enthusiasm to actually do a full service/tune.

From then on the world is your oyster. You can opt to simply ride it as is and enjoy or work your way through any and all options up to ECU reflashing and/or the full monty PCV/AT set up. None of that is 'Necessary' or 'Vital' for the enjoyment of the bike though. The modern machines are, generally, very pleasant to live with and easy to ride.

Pete

Amen to all of that! I may or may not get around some day to beefing up my Stelvio's suspension, but I can't say I am unhappy with it the way it is. The thing just oozes character!

Bruce

Thanks, Pete, that's what I was hoping. It also sounds like I'm going to be glad MI is relatively close to me - and that I found this forum :*
Cindy

Cowgirl, are you on the IPCRC Yahoo PC800 site? If you are you can see I have a red 2007 Norge and a 1998 PC800. I can tell you they are 2 different worlds. The Norge has the Italian "personality" requiring watching over but there is a huge difference in the 2 bikes. I worked at a Honda dealer when the PC800 came out in 1989 and I said it was the right color (white) as it should say "This package contains one each motorcycle good for many uses." It does it all but no fanfare. The Guzzi involves you in the experience and adds that certain something that makes you ignore the idiosyncrasies. I just returned from a 5,155 mile ride from OH across Newfoundland. I was glad to be on the Guzzi and not the PC due to the fun and more power. The leaking rear CARC seal at the end was not fun but I guess it is not common. Currently I have 18k on it and no oil warnings. I did upgrade the suspension with Hyper Pro and put Helibars on it. I would put Helibars on the PC if they made them. I normally ride 6,000 to 9,000 miles a year. Since I got the Norge the PC has fallen to under 2,000 miles a year and that is because the lady friend prefers passenger on the PC so when she goes it goes. She will not ride on the Norge. I also have a 1987 VFR700F2 that I hardly ride anymore as I kept it for a sport bike and the Norge out handles it.
Living in Ohio when the CARC leaked I sent it to Moto International for repair as the local dealers are questionable.
Oh yea. Once you get caught in a hard rain riding in the mountains the radial tires and ABS will win you over entirely.

Good news about the rain riding since I wrote off my first PC on a downhill hairpin turn in rain due to poor braking ability :shock: I replaced it with another one that I've ridden for the last 4 years but now I'm looking for something with a lot more character and a lot more fun. My riding buddies are riding R1200RTs and ST1300s and my poor little PC is having a hard time keeping up as well as being a bit dull. It does, however, get lots of attention at stops due to it's unusual looks. I am on the IPCRC forum as well although I seldom post there.
I've been looking at the ST and various models of BMW but they just don't have the panache of the Norge. I made an offer yesterday on the 2008 at my local dealer but I don't think he's going to be able to match the price at MI - I'm going down there Wednesday :D
Cindy

OK, here's a tough question. I've been reading lots here and on Wild Goose so I need to know - if I choose to can I ride the Norge straight out of the box so to speak or will I have to make these recommended mods? How many people on here have pure stock bikes?

Mine is pure stock. It's a May 07 build, and has the heavier rear spring. If a 7/16" wrench won't go over a coil, it's the heavy spring. I cut all but 1/8" from the center stand bumper. Ran the fork adjustments to 2 clicks from full. Turned up the rear shock preload to 4 clicks from full, IIRC. It's been trouble free, handles as well as "I" need here in the midwest, and gets 50mpg or better on trips. <shrug> Sure, you can ride it straight out of the box.

Other than a significantly larger windshield for me I am fine with it stock... My S/O needs the stock W/S so depending on your height.. * needs a better seat but many are happy with stock. Not me.
A Russell or Mayer seat is in my future..

Cowgirl said:
.... How many people on here have pure stock bikes?..
Cindy
PS The red one's production date in June 2007.

Cindy,

I have a 2007 Norge with a production date of 11/06. I purchased it new in February 2007.
It has 22,000 miles and it's all, basically, stock. Yes I have changed the fuel filter this year. I have also changed the 2 front discs because they "warped".
All in all it's a beautiful, satisfying bike, and best of all it's RED ;)

DSC03252-1.jpg

I also bought a bike from MI and had it shipped to NJ. Dave was great throughout the process.

Good luck with your purchase.

Nick

Thanks for all of the help, I really appreciate it. Something else just occurred to me today - this is question especially for any Canadians that bought new bikes in the US. The 2 PCs I imported had no duty since they were used - anybody know if there is duty on new motorcycles? The RIV and CBSA websites just say call and today is a holiday so they're not open - I need instant gratification :D
And thanks for the tip on the Helibars - that's something else I'll probably get.
Nick - that's gorgeous!
Cindy

The Helibars are great. One thing I feel the Norge gets shortchanged on is vibration. All of the road tests complain about it. The problem is they all ride almost new bikes. Sure, new mine vibrated, a lot. I noticed a distinct drop in vibration by 5,000 miles. At 10,000 it was even better. Now, with 18,000 miles it is almost a smooth as my Pacific Coast.
I had to replace my warped rotors also. Somebody told me to make sure I keep the floating rivets cleaned as I guess if they get gummed up then the rotor can't expand properly and warps. I question that as most bikes don't have that problem but so far the second set have been fine. The build date on mine is May 2007.

Cowgirl said:
Thanks for all of the help, I really appreciate it. Something else just occurred to me today - this is question especially for any Canadians that bought new bikes in the US. The 2 PCs I imported had no duty since they were used - anybody know if there is duty on new motorcycles? The RIV and CBSA websites just say call and today is a holiday so they're not open - I need instant gratification :D
Cindy

There is no duty on motorcycles imported into Canada, new or used. You just pay your sales taxes and the $200 RIV ("importation extortion") fee.

MI sells bikes at good prices because Dave picks up many of the bikes that are returned to Piaggio from other dealerships (whose floor plan period ended or have closed their doors. He's made the source of a lot of Guzzi owners continent-wide.

Cory

I went down to Seattle last week and test drove the Norge as well as a few other bikes. The Norge wasn't quite what I expected - the sound it makes was quite amazing! The biggest problem with all of the bikes including the Norge was the seat height. I'm quite short - 5'5" - and I'm on my toes balancing them which doesn't feel very secure. I had the low seat on the Norge. Dave at MI has just emailed me to tell me about a lowering link that has been created for the Norge http://westmoreland-moto-guzzi.com/guzz ... g_kits.htm. Does anybody have or know about these and what do you think?
Cindy

It just so happens that I stopped at this dealer when I was shopping for my Norge so that was over 2-1/2 years ago. They had one of these kits on a Griso but they were working the bugs out of it as they had just made their prototype and it was on a Griso. I am 5'4" with a 28" inseam and I sat on that Griso flat footed but at the time it dropped the rear of the Griso so far the rear tire touched bolt for the fender. Hopefully that is cured by now.

Rudy

Back