• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

Norge is not starting

spartan1984

Tuned and Synch'ed
HI All,

Have been enjoying the Norge for just over 2000 miles without problems until yesterday. No issues displayed when I started up the bike, stopped to get gas about 30 miles later, then tried to start it and nothing. Dashboard indicators directional and hazard lights are working, battery is fully charged, but I have no headlights, tail lights, license plate light and more importantly, the bike won't start.

Of course, no where near the dealer so trying to explain this to them over the phone is not the best, but he mentioned it might be blown fuses or something to do with the electrical system (the major reason I got rid of my other bike)...UGH!!!

Any advice on where to look for a cause before taking it to the dealer?

Barry

Does the engine spin over, have you got a spark, is the fuel pump working, have you left the engine kill switch "on"

Hi Kevin,

It was a blown fuse in the auxiliary compartment; looking at the schematics in the owners manual it was "b" which controls the parking lights, starter relay coil and passing lights, etc. Started pulling the fuses and viola there it was, so switched out with the replacement fuse and it started right up.

Barry

Known problem, there is a long thread on that.
For future reference, if you press the start button and nothing happens, immediately flick it out again to the kill position. This helps prevent the fuse blowing.

Known problem, there is a long thread on that.
For future reference, if you press the start button and nothing happens, immediately flick it out again to the kill position. This helps prevent the fuse blowing.

Brian,

Awesome and thanks for the info...stored in my memory bank :)

Barry

Well the blown fuse issue came back again. Same problem as last time and the same fuse :swear:!!! Here I thought that I didn't have the dreaded "yellow ignition wire connected to the wrong place" situation but it seems that I was wrong. I assume the "fix" mentioned in the long thread is the way to go, or is there something better out there now?

Along with checking that wire, check whether the previous owner has done the starter relay modification, and the connections at the starter itself. A loose main or ground wire at the starter can certainly help stress a fuse.

ITSec,

Is the starter relay modification the solution discussed in the "Modern "no start" issue solution" forum post?

spartan

Last edited:
Brian gave you the answer. If you want to stay up late Saturday, I'll be meeting some Ironbutt types for a dog at Pink's at midnight. Come on up! Tire kicking from 10-11, standing in line after that, should be eating and people-watching by midnight...

Brian gave you the answer. If you want to stay up late Saturday, I'll be meeting some Ironbutt types for a dog at Pink's at midnight. Come on up! Tire kicking from 10-11, standing in line after that, should be eating and people-watching by midnight...

Sounds like a great idea, but maybe another time

I'm getting a very similar problem on my 2007 Norge 1200. Fuse B blew. I did the yellow wire starter relay mod, replaced the fuse and all was well until two days ago when I noticed that the tail lights were not coming on. Now fuse B will blow as soon as I turn on the ignition. I removed my yellow wire connection and removed the starter relay and the fuse still blows. Checking with a multimeter, it looks like the wire feeding the rear lights shorting to earth (the brake lights still work, though). Any thoughts?

When you cut the yellow wire from the start relay what did you do with it? If he end touches earth you will blow that fuse. If it's safely taped up, then there must be another short to earth somewhere, but your front pilot lights will also be out, so the short could be that end too.

Just to clarify, did you notice the tail light not coming on before the fuse started to blow? If so then it must be the short somewhere.

Hi Brian. Carefully taped up existing yellow wire (but will double-check later). Discovered tail;-light problem after crossing from France Sunday night (had not checked lights in previous week as v sunny in France and only running in daytime). Bike started OK but fuse B blown and kept blowing. I will check the front of the bike as I had the dash and clocks off two weeks ago to fix something else.

Roger, check your wiring as it progresses from the relay section towards the rear of your bike. it has been seen elsewhere, that some wires eventually rub the insulation off and quite happily blow the fuse. Finding it takes a bit of effort but worth it to fix it. Tape up with heavy insulation tape when you find it and try and get the wiring loom tightened down so it can't vibrate and rub again.

I think that must be it. I have the front of the fairing off as the bracket has fractured so I'll pull the tank off, too, and have a good look. Thanks.

Back