• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

Norge purchase

tony

Just got it firing!
I am ready to pull the trigger on a leftover 08 Red Norge and wanted more information on this sweet looking Italian ride. Any information would be appreciated. Thank you.
Tony

Tony, welcome to the Forum. Peruse this Forum and the Tech section, and I think you'll gather all you need to. Otherwise, others may chime in here. Generally they are solid bikes, with little troubles outside of those noted here. Congrats in advance, and be sure to post often.

Mike,
It is good to be here! I really thinking to buy a new 08 Norge and haven't heard anything bad about the Norge, just wanted more info. How are your Guzzi's as far as reliability goes? Where down under are you?

tony wrote:
Mike, I really thinking to buy a new 08 Norge and haven't heard anything bad about the Norge, just wanted more info. How are your Guzzi's as far as reliability goes?

A few of the very early Norge's (& a few more of other models) had bad bearings in the rear end from a poor supplier, since replaced. Should be a non issue on any '08. Some of the windshield raise/lower motors have failed, did on my '07, replaced very early with a newer design so far so good. Probably also a non issue on your '08, in any case warranteeable. Few other issues. Oh, be careful removing the plastic panels, some of the attachment point are fragile, some info elsewhere on this forum on making them more durable. I've really had no significant issues on my 19,000 mile '07 Norge other than the windshield motor.

For an interesting & very complimentary review that is really a comparo with the BMW R1200RT, see:

http://www.animalnetwork.com/mcn/model_ ... July07.pdf

From Motorcycle Consumer News, a US mag that takes no ads from anyone, so free to say whatever they really think. Note the review is from 6/07, so that would be before Guzzi stiffened up the rear spring to what would be on yours-& mine for that matter.

I bought a new 08 silver Norge in April of 09, and I am not happy with it or the dealer I bought it from. The front engine seal started leaking on the way home from the dealer. A couple hundred miles later the hydraulic clutch cylinder started leaking at the back of the transmission. Then, in the right light I could see where the gas tank was buckled were it goes around the left cylinder head. So, I waited till the first service was due to bring all these problems to the dealer's attention. My dealer had my o8 Norge for the whole month of August to do the first service, replace the seal(under warranty), replace the o-ring in clutch cylinder(under warranty), and confirm the tank problem(order replacement under warranty). I got my Norge back 9/8 with the seal and o-ring replaced and new tank on order and first service done including the valves adjusted. I have put about 250 mile since I got it back and the newly replaced front seal started leaking and the left valve cover is leaking now from them reusing the gasket. If I had it to all over again, I would not buy a Moto Guzzi period! But if you are hell-bent on that red Norge, I would get some ground rules in place with your dealer because mine sucks. Because this front engine seal thing is probably going to get ugly.

How many Norge's have been sold worldwide so far? And how many have we heard about which have had faults like this?
Clearly when you get a bike which has these problems, you are entitled to be a bit sore, but please don't tar them all with the same brush.

Well Brian, I do not think you would singing that song if it were your NEW Moto Guzzi breaking every 250 miles. The author of this thread wanted any information, so I gave it with an opinion tacked on the end and that 'sweet ride' could come with a dark side. There is always more than one bad apple in the bunch.

Yes, if you're reliant on a good dealer, they are few and far between. Most Guzzisti tend to be tinkerers, and outside of big warranty claims, actually enjoy taking care of the little stuff. There's a handful of bikes that have horrible dealer set up, and problems like posted above. Then there are others who leave the dealership and never have a problem from day one on. If you are going to look to a dealer to fix all of your woes, I'd say look to a non-Euro brand... if you buy one, knowing you may have a few small hiccups in the beginning, and a solid bike for the next decade +, you won't go wrong with a Guzzi.

My '00 Jackal has ~140k miles on it now, and aside from the few small niggles in the beginning, it's the best bike I've owned to date, and I'll never sell it. The Norge seems to be one of the least problematic CARC Guzzis to date... so far.

I'd say that all the problems in that Norge were caused by a dealer that didn't know how to do the pre-setup in the bike, thus causing all the trouble.

GT-Rx wrote:
Yes, if you're reliant on a good dealer, they are few and far between. Most Guzzisti tend to be tinkerers, and outside of big warranty claims, actually enjoy taking care of the little stuff. There's a handful of bikes that have horrible dealer set up, and problems like posted above. Then there are others who leave the dealership and never have a problem from day one on. If you are going to look to a dealer to fix all of your woes, I'd say look to a non-Euro brand... if you buy one, knowing you may have a few small hiccups in the beginning, and a solid bike for the next decade +, you won't go wrong with a Guzzi.

My '00 Jackal has ~140k miles on it now, and aside from the few small niggles in the beginning, it's the best bike I've owned to date, and I'll never sell it. The Norge seems to be one of the least problematic CARC Guzzis to date... so far.

Bingo, Todd.

I just posted something similar in the tech side of the Norge board in response to umjwh's understandable unhappiness about a front-seal leak.

As I said there, MPH in Houston, Riders Hill in Dahlonega, Moto-International, Speakers, Steelhorse Classics, Harpers, and no doubt others can be a blessing if nearby. If not, heck, use it an excuse at least for the ride back home, as I have done with MPH twice. And, similar to your comment, above, I said that "If you can't live with that [distant dealer] or can't do some wrenching yourself, I suspect you are doomed to unhappiness and frustration."

My biggest Guzzi problem today is trying to deciode whether to ride the Norge or EV to the Georgia rally this weekend. A Guzzi harem is great joy. Need a Griso 8v for a bit more variety, tho. ;)

Bill

I do think that installing front engine seals and o-rings in the hydraulic clutch is part of a Guzzi dealer's prep/setup on newly arrived Guzzis from Italy. These installs are done at the factory in Italy. As for the tank, dealers mind set is it may be a warranty problem but we will wait and let its new owner bring it to are attention; My-as-well not open a can worms if you do not have too. All these are problems got by Piaggo's QC. Yes, some of the problem is the dealer, but I mostly lay blame on the bike's manufacture.

Things will go wrong with all manufacturers at one stage or another, and sometimes you need just deal with it. My B11 is my first step into Guzzidom, and I must say, at the beginning I wanted to throttle some one, either at the dealer or the factory. I had to cancel 2 holidays (4 months apart) because bits I needed didn't arrive.

I seriously considered going back to Japanese, with large dealer networks and parts being plentiful.

BOY, I'm glad I didn't! Three years on and I'm only just starting to understand that Guzzi's are a lifestlye. Have patience and understanding and you will be rewarded like you won't believe - I have been!

Other Guzzisti, and members on this and other forums will guide you through (BTW Todd, I never did tell you - thanks for great the site).

umjwh wrote:
I do think that installing front engine seals and o-rings in the hydraulic clutch is part of a Guzzi dealer's prep/setup on newly arrived Guzzis from Italy.
No, but it's their trade to sell bikes in perfectly working order. Some brands you need to do nothing, some others require more attention.
Only good Guzzi professionals know the difference. Use those that KNOW the brand.

Knock on wood, I've been tickled with my red Norge. It's my first Guzzi and I'm really taken with it. I'm connecting with this bike like very few others I've owned, and in 40 years riding, that's quite a few. It really puts a smile on my face and when I get home from a ride, I'm sorry the day is over.

I have been back and forth with brands. I started with a V11 lemans and never had any serious issues with it. Then I had a harley for awhile. Bought an 07 Norge and had issues with it and my attitude went totally sour toward Moto Guzzi. Even though the issues were resolved I couldn't shake the sour attitude. I was peeved about the lowsey suspension and didn't care for the overall handling. I didn't want to spend the extra money to upgrade the suspension components. I was disappointed that it didn't work the way I wanted it to work right out of the box. So, I sold it in a huff and got an FJR1300. The FJR was a wonderful motorcycle but eventually it got boring. Long story short I recently returned to Guzzi by buying a used Griso 1100. Knowing full well what challenges may be ahead of me. Through all of this I have learned that I lean toward to sport side of things (minus the clip-ons). The Norge was not that bike for me. The Griso however is quite entertaining and meets my sporting expectations. I am committed (at least I think I am) to seeing this one through cause I like to tinker. I hope to finally settle into long term ownership with the Griso. I do know what it's like to be totally pissed at your Guzzi. If you dig the bike overall it may be worth, in the long run, to stick it out. Many experienced owners here can attest to the long term rewards if you work through the issues. If that's not you then get an FJR and you can forget about it and just ride.

Its funny you say that because a new FJR is the way I am headed.

I had the black cherry 07. Fine motorcycle, maintenance was a snap, 1st valve check/adjust is like 24000 miles. It's fast and pretty comfy, great bags/easy on and off. There are times I wish I still had it. If I could afford many bikes I would still have it.

Back