• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

Norge TB sync - how difficult?

2Laner wrote:
Pete, forgive my ignorance. I went riding again today, central Illinois, around 45 degress, mpg has fallen to around 38 on most recent rides per Breva gauge. Define "ETS'" and your packing recommendation. Greatly apppreciate any enlighment.

On a recent trip to northern British Columbia from southern California on my '08 Sport 1200 I noticed that temperature affected fuel milage more then anything else. When the termometer dropped to freezing my fuel milage dropped to 35 mpg, from 42-45. The bike did run better the colder it got; smoother and more responsive. As it warmed the mpg increased. Altitude and aggressive riding seems to have little affect.

Allan wrote:
2Laner wrote:
Pete, forgive my ignorance. I went riding again today, central Illinois, around 45 degress, mpg has fallen to around 38 on most recent rides per Breva gauge. Define "ETS'" and your packing recommendation. Greatly apppreciate any enlighment.

On a recent trip to northern British Columbia from southern California on my '08 Sport 1200 I noticed that temperature affected fuel milage more then anything else. When the termometer dropped to freezing my fuel milage dropped to 35 mpg, from 42-45. The bike did run better the colder it got; smoother and more responsive. As it warmed the mpg increased. Altitude and aggressive riding seems to have little affect.

My experience with my 07 B11 is identical to yours Allan. I love the way the bike runs in cold weather.

There's another, unavoidable reason why cold weather gives higher mileage. Cold air contains more oxygen. The ECU is supposed to be able to detect that, and adjust the injection to avoid leanness. I don't know how noticeable this would be on the mileage, and one would assume that there wouldn't be any change in throttle response if the ECU does its job correctly.
I've read yet another explanation why air-cooled engines burn more fuel in cold weather, but can't recall what it was.

It's true that the bike changes a lot in colder weather. Mine ran great yesterday on my regular trip to the country-side, her pilot less so though (left late after a long day, 't was dark and he hadn't really registered what 0ºC would mean...) A shame for all those people who only see temps under 10ºC in their fridges! :silly:

Of course, whet I don't know is whether he reset anything else while he had the Axone connected. He did check that the Lamda sensor was working, as that failing could cause my problem.
Pretty well all infernal combustion engines use more fuel in very cold weather in my experience.

Out of interest I connected my vacuum guage to the Norge when I got home yesterday. It's a water U tube type, home made. It did show a difference of about 3 inches left to right. What did surprise me was that when I stopped it, then went back a couple of minutes later and tried again, I got different results.
In fact every time I resarted, the slight difference changed sides. I made no adjustments.
Up to 3 inches of thin oil (I put in auto transmission fluid, not water in the U tube) however, is very little on a mercury guage.

I'll re-raise an issue/question though, in hope Pete reads it.

Ever since its 10k km service, my bike has some difficulty starting when it's under about 7ºC. She starts fine, but there's an initial time lapse of varying duration where she won't hold idle over about 800rpm. Depending on the temperature, the engine dies either after some struggling, or immediately. Yesterday, I had 3ºC on the dash, started, she died. Started again, opened the throttle immediately and held her at 2krpm for a while, periodically closing the throttle carefully to see if she'd "take over". After about 30s I got "bold" enough to keep the throttle closed, and saw the needle go from about 800 to 1200 (and could finally put on my gloves :) )

It's possible I could have let go of the throttle sooner, but as it was, it's just too long to be something I'm happy to do every time I start on a cold engine. Funny thing is, she never did this unless temps were really under 0ºC BEFORE the 10kkm service, and then she had 15W50 oil in the sump (10W50 now).

What could this mean in terms of adjustment? I don't see how the ETS (2laner: engine temperature sensor) can be involved (engine and air temp are identical on a cold start). The oil used in the gearbox? (don't see how, with a dry clutch, pulled in according to the book)

Back