• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

Norge won't start....

Wistrick

Cruisin' Guzzisti
So yesterday the bike started and ran for appox 10 mins after sitting all winter.....a little while later the bike won't even turn over....I pulled the battery out and charged it over night...this morning it wouldn't start again turned over though....hooked it back to the charger an came back later and it fired up and ran for about 10 seconds and died....tried to jump start it and got it running for a short time, but after disconnecting the cables it sputtered and died....then the battery was so dead the ecu disconnect icon showed on the the fuel pump or fuel pump relay is clicking loudly when the key is one.......Am I due for a new battery??? I check the plugs and there wet and smell of gas.....Huh?? thought???

Sounds like a battery to me. I'd replace it pronto before it causes other problems. A battery like this and jumper cables might be bad news for your ECU life expectancy.

Battery, happened to this past Sunday in a shopping center. put a meter across the battery while hooked up to the bike, just turn on the key without attempting to start mine went from 12.4 volts to 8 volts. Couldn't even jump start it and probably would not have done any good . Is this the original or an AGM battery ?

I think it the original yusa battery.....gonna take it to have it load tested this morning.....

what are the changes I harmed the ecu

Dan

well had the local battery shop load test it twice...First time it came up fully charged and marginal and the second time full charged and bad.....new battery on the way.....that explain why it ran when it was hooked up to the jumper cables....no????

thanks everybody

Dan

Wistrick said:
well had the local battery shop load test it twice...First time it came up fully charged and marginal and the second time full charged and bad.....new battery on the way.....that explain why it ran when it was hooked up to the jumper cables....no????

thanks everybody

Dan

Yes !

Now I am wondering if the battery heading south was the problem with the low heat at the grips....Gonna try one of the new Shorai Batteries....might have solved 2 problems at once...next time I am gonna start with having the battery load tested..... thanks again guys...

Dan

Ok got the new battery today and charged it up and installed it....turn on key everything is fine no ecu disconnect fuel pump not clicking..Hit the starter button and starter turn a couple revs and then nothing....turn off key turn back on and ecu disconnect is showing....and also the battery disconnect code......pull out battery charge it up and try again....same story.....when I hit the start button it drains the battery WTF.........

Idea's guys.......aggghhhh!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! now I am getting really mad!!!!!!!!!!

thanks

Dan

Any way you could try that new battery in another bike? I recently had a brand new battery go south on me after only 50 kM. It was fine one minute, then so dead there was no spark when shorting the terminals. Your situation does sound like you've got a dud too.

I agree with Kiwi Dave, still sounds like the battery, You said you had to charge the battery, did you follow the recommended procedure from the manufacturer ? some require an extended period with a specific type charger. Turn on the bike wait for the light show then enter the menu and read the voltage on the LCD readout, if it is less then 12.1-2 V the ECM will not complete the start sequence. At the same time put a meter across the battery if it is way below 12 it's the battery. If you got an electrical short or such a fuse would blow or you should see or smell some smoke.

It is of the new Lit-Iron Shorai Batteries.....and it acting the same way the last battery did....one push of the start button and the battery is drained...ecu disconnect shows.. and with key off battery disconnect code shows on dash....

Dan

Look here also https://www.guzzitech.com/forum/188/5473.html When my Breva acted up. Dash would cycle, but as soon as I pressed the starter, no go. dash went blank and everything reset. Total loss of power when I tried to start the bike. Corrosion on the battery cables proved to be the culprit. Also check the ground point behind the starter if you haven't already.

Ok here is the deal when I go from hot to the start solenoid via a remote start switch the motor cranks just fine...when I turn on the key a hit the starter button it cranks about half a turn then. Before I hit the start switch the dash show 13.1 volts and after and 12.8 while starter button is engaged....then ECU disconnect shows and the fuel pump start clicking...if I pull the 30 fuse and reinstall the dash resets and shows ASPN 0002.....which I believe is battery disconnected.....

I am out of ideas here........

Dan

One more thing to check. I only know of it happening one time. The 30 amp fuse holder may be bad. I ran across a bike with similar symptoms. Dove me crazy for a month. Took it to a dealer and he got lucky and the holder opened when it could be diagnosed. The mechanic said it was just luck on his part to find it. It would pass current with no load, but then wouldn't pass enough to start the bike. It actually failed for him when he turned the key on (so no power) and thus he could find it.

draidt said:
I agree with Kiwi Dave, still sounds like the battery, You said you had to charge the battery, did you follow the recommended procedure from the manufacturer ? some require an extended period with a specific type charger. Turn on the bike wait for the light show then enter the menu and read the voltage on the LCD readout, if it is less then 12.1-2 V the ECM will not complete the start sequence. At the same time put a meter across the battery if it is way below 12 it's the battery. If you got an electrical short or such a fuse would blow or you should see or smell some smoke.

I have 13.1 at the battery with no load....
hitting the starter button (when it will crank give a 12.8) reading at the battery...

Dan

Thought a list of things might help...

1. Battery good...tried in the VFR and it worked fine....
2. Starter will in engage and turn motor when jumped via remote start switch...
3. When 30 amp fuse is pulled and reinstalled (key off) dash cycles, no lights and ASPN 0002 appear on the panel...
4. With a fresh charged battery turn key on, light all come on, gauges cycles and no errors appear...
5. when start switch is pushed motor tries to crank over (about half turn) then stops and the red triangle appears, dash show ecu disconnect and the fuel pump clicks rapidly....
6. at rest the battery shows 13.1 and when the starter is engaged via the start switch(when it works) it drops to 12.8...
7. I have pulled and cleaned grounds at the starter and the battery terminal to the starter and the terms @ the battery itself..
8. seems that power is not making it up to the ecu/instrument panel???

@ this point all I can think is ECU???? can the ecu cause this???......

Dan

found something by accident the 6 pin modlex connector under the take, I was trying to get some voltage reading between the 30 amp fuse and the dash and wiggling the connector causes the dash light to flick and relays to click on and off somehow I think there in lies the problem.....guess I'll pull it apart and see what I can find...

Dan

by wiggling the connector actually the wiring coming from the connector I was able to get it to start and run....but it there for sure is something wrong in the wiring...will chase it tomorrow....

Dan

Back