• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

'Nother New Norge Noise

Bill Hagan

GT Reference
GT di Razza Pura
Above Pott's Camp along Braddock's route, Virginia
I have a new, worrisome, annoying, and -- especially when sitting alongside a car in traffic with HD decal on it :roll: -- embarrassing noise on Norge.

Sent this as e/m to a few Guzzi gurus, but I think they have me on automatic "delete," as I've only heard from one, and he probably just felt sorry for me. Sigh. :S

As you know, it's nigh on to impossible to describe such things this way, and isolating to a specific area is also hard, heck, even when next to it. That said, let me give it a shot to see what you all think.

This is new, i.e., since Sunday's (really wet, tho not suggesting connection) ride; don't recall this at all 'til I started it Tuesday a.m. for commute into work.

Location (or, at least, where I THINK it's coming from!): Lower front, behind fender, i.e., in "engine," not fork, wheels, etc. Forward of cylinders.

Sound. Think a whistle, not air horn sort of sound, lower pitched than a classic European train whistle, but on that order. Sometimes starts off more of a low, light moan, then changes to whistle. That change is not associated with higher rpm, but almost seems to be a post-warm-up shift from moan to whistle. Again, this is not a shriek or way loud, but is certainly loud enough to hear with or without earplugs.

Conditions. I'm adding this because my one responder asked about it. Occurs whether idling or moving. Not a helmet, tire, or wheel-bearing thing, as it's not related to moving. Also do not think it's loose fairing, w/s, or other usual suspect for vibration.

What Bill thinks. Stop laughing or rolling your eyes. I think it's the new alternator belt (installed about 1K ago; Norge is at 35K now, FWIW) or something in that area.

Your thoughts? Damaging it to ride? Anyone heard anything like this on their Norge/Breva? Etc. :?:

Thanks.

Bill

Bill Hagan said:
<snip>

What Bill thinks. Stop laughing or rolling your eyes. I think it's the new alternator belt (installed about 1K ago; Norge is at 35K now, FWIW) or something in that area.

Your thoughts? Damaging it to ride? Anyone heard anything like this on their Norge/Breva? Etc. :?:

Thanks.

Bill

Dan thinks so too !

Could need readjusting now that it got run in and don't discount the moisture you rode in.

Bill,

I also think it may be the belt, but knowing your mechanical skill, I suggest you get a "mechanic in a can" . Instead of adjusting the belt (it is probably just a tad lose) try purchasing a can of belt dressing. Remove the outer cover and then with the engine running, spray a small amount between the belt and the engine pulley. The noise should go away. The next time you are at a dealer for something else, have them adjust the belt. It is better to have the belt a little slack than too tight.

Hi ya!,Sounds like the belt is a tad loose?,check that out before you start spraying stuff at it! :dry: .If it was ok before the last service or replacement then definately check it or get it checked, i don't know about this spraycan fix stuff but it sounds like the last resort type of fix that you would use on some old crappy 'banger' that you don't care about too much!! :whistle: .
Cheers
Cliffy.

cliffyg said:
Hi ya!,Sounds like the belt is a tad loose?,check that out before you start spraying stuff at it! :dry: .If it was ok before the last service or replacement then definately check it or get it checked, i don't know about this spraycan fix stuff but it sounds like the last resort type of fix that you would use on some old crappy 'banger' that you don't care about too much!! :whistle: .
Cheers
Cliffy.

I agree, don't use belt dressing as it's a sort of last resort and tends to gum up your belt which then demands replacement.

Perhaps you can spray the belt with a bit of water or something similar (I've used Windex) when the noice occurs? A change in the noise indicates a belt problem.

The belt runs at a speed depending on engine speed, right? Then I'd expect the whistle to rise in frequency with revs.

I guess it's not straightforward to take it off and run the engine without, for a while?

Have you tried the screwdriver stethoscope?

My first idea when you said it wasn't related to engine revs was that it might be something with the oil cooler or its hoses (but then, maybe oil flow increases with engine speed too?)

Back