• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

Nuvi Bracket.

Toadride

Cruisin' Guzzisti
Taking a page from Leafman I decided to make a quick bracket for my Nuvi. Bought some 1 inch aluminium bar stock from Home Depot, cut bent and drilled it to fit.
IMG_0245_zps6421c845.jpg

It mounted nicely above the gauges and only obscured about 5% of the top. A test ride down the hill on dirt and even on the old battered roads around here changed my mind, tho. Something I never really paid too much attention to with the Stelvio was the amount of vibration coming from the windshield and brackets. The little Nuvi was really getting a pounding. I figured at this rate it might not be too long before a failure due to vibration might occur. The handlebar Ram mount produced no vibration at all plus it put the Nuvi that much closer to these old failing eyes. So, decision made. Back the the tried and true. But, thanks for the idea, Leafman. ;)

Hey man. The set-up I used has been hell-for-strong on washboard roads etc. No problems. If you look closely, I used a much wider and structured bracket (but it takes a little work to fabricate). I would think a straight 1 inch bar would not provide enough torsional rigidity (sounds sophisticated) and that may have been your problem.

My effort was to get the GPS and radar detector up closer to line-of-sight.

https://www.guzzitech.com/forum/190/10101.html

IMG_1786.jpg

Toadride said:
The handlebar Ram mount produced no vibration at all plus it put the Nuvi that much closer to these old failing eyes. So, decision made. Back the the tried and true.

I really like the RAM system on all of my bikes. I even have a RAM mount in my car. :lol:

"Hey man" kinda sounds like I hit a nerve. Sorry if I did so, that was not my intention. Glad yours actually works absorbing the vibration but no matter what I could do to alleviate that problem, it still puts the small screened Nuvi too far away for these old eyes to read clearly.

Toadride, can't see the edge of you bracket, but I can see Leafman's. Leafman's bracket looks substantial, maybe 3/32". The gauge of the bracket matters more than the height when a perpendicular flange is not a part of it, as in found in a channel, to prevent deflection (oscillation) perpendicular the the flat surface in the middle of the span.

Toadride said:
"Hey man" kinda sounds like I hit a nerve. Sorry if I did so, that was not my intention. Glad yours actually works absorbing the vibration but no matter what I could do to alleviate that problem, it still puts the small screened Nuvi too far away for these old eyes to read clearly.

No, no, no, not at all, toadride. Lol, good lord. Darn internet. Things dont always read like you talk.

Im not that prickly ! I was just responding about mine working fine. If you like something else, that's fine. That's why we have so many choices in life !

Thank you for your comments.

I took a different tack with the GPS mount. Didn't like the fact that it's mounted so high, adjusting the windshield affects the location of the GPS unit and there's vibration in off-road conditions. I centered the GPS but it could be moved to one side to accommodate other devices.
I had a pair of old 7/8" motorcycle handlebars and some 1" x 1/8" (for the brackets) stock laying around. I think the 1" x 1/8" was from some office furniture.
The approximate dimension between the windshield spars is 7" so I cut the handlebar to 6-5/8" to allow for the thickness of the bracket and rubber grommet (about 1/16") on each end.
The GPS is a Nuvi 50LM with motorcycle bracket. The car charger is long enough to be threaded under the tank and seat to the rear power point under the pillion pad. I will eventually wire it to the harness under the front cowling provided by MG.
I rode from Dallas to Arizona and back with this rig and never had one problem. Note that I have a CalSci windscreen on my Stella but the bracket works with the stock screen as well.
It's addressed in a different thread somewhere but I had no problems with installation, binding or adjustment of the CalSci windshield.
I could've welded the brackets to the ends of the 7/8" bar and painted the whole thing black to save a few steps but the way it is looks custom.

Attachments

• Measuring bar.jpg
    Measuring bar.jpg
    97.2 KB · Views: 275
  • bar cut to length.jpg
    bar cut to length.jpg
    144 KB · Views: 274
  • washer and nut welded.jpg
    washer and nut welded.jpg
    98.8 KB · Views: 274
  • Washer and nut ready for weld up to end of bar.jpg
    Washer and nut ready for weld up to end of bar.jpg
    547 KB · Views: 274
  • mounting brackets with grommets.jpg
    mounting brackets with grommets.jpg
    726.4 KB · Views: 274
  • test fit of assembly between spars.jpg
    test fit of assembly between spars.jpg
    828.5 KB · Views: 274
  • drill and tap spars.jpg
    drill and tap spars.jpg
    856.4 KB · Views: 274
  • bracket installed and gps mounted.jpg
    bracket installed and gps mounted.jpg
    853.4 KB · Views: 274
  • IMG_0084a.jpg
    IMG_0084a.jpg
    866.8 KB · Views: 274
Nice set up Kirb. Saw that bracket on the Tourtech site but didn't want something else on the handlebars. Also didn't want/need that GPS device.

I just installed a Motech mount purchsed from Twisted Throttle. It was on sale for only $35.00 and it's anti vibration. It mounts to the center bar clamp, I love mine. If you are interested better hurry, they might be discontinued and at that price it's worth getting.

Vivo

Back