• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

Oh for Christ sake!! It's broken again!!

Steve uk

Tuned and Synch'ed
In the words of Victor Meldrew...I don't believe it!! :angry: :angry:

Since it was pretty mild yesterday I thought it a good idea to take the 8v out for a spin...
Started it up and gave it a gentle warm up, off down the roads and after about 7-8 miles a sound creeps into my awareness...

Klacka-Klacka-Klacka-Klacka-Klacka-Klacka-Klacka-Klacka-Klacka-Klacka.

Some of you might remember that when I first got the 8v I had problem with the cam carrier assembly...Sounds like the same thing again. There is something fundementally wrong with my engine, if it's a recurrent failure.

So I'm going to call the guys at the store in a while, to ask them to come pick it up. I'll let you know what happens. :(

Cheers,

Steve

steve,hang on in there.Hope it goes well 4u

I'm only getting hotch-potch info from people so all of this is 2nd hand.

Apparently the new tappets are a different colour and design to the originals. The colour I'm told looks like one of the super-hard 'Diamond Like' type coatings, the feet on them are apparently not as deep either. Earlier replacements were not apparently thus.

That's all I know.

Sorry to hear this Steve. What was actually replaced in your top end? Cams and tappets? Just tappets? Whole head?

Pete

Steve uk wrote:
In the words of Victor Meldrew...I don't believe it!! :angry: :angry:

Since it was pretty mild yesterday I thought it a good idea to take the 8v out for a spin...
Started it up and gave it a gentle warm up, off down the roads and after about 7-8 miles a sound creeps into my awareness...

Klacka-Klacka-Klacka-Klacka-Klacka-Klacka-Klacka-Klacka-Klacka-Klacka.

Some of you might remember that when I first got the 8v I had problem with the cam carrier assembly...Sounds like the same thing again. There is something fundementally wrong with my engine, if it's a recurrent failure.

So I'm going to call the guys at the store in a while, to ask them to come pick it up. I'll let you know what happens. :(

Cheers,

Steve

I think a new bike or a refund is in order here. If it's happened twice it will happen again.
I was thinking of selling my 2 bikes and buying an 8v. But it won't be happening until there is some proof that this problem has been solved.

Wel there's a pattern forming here...........the 8v's are still failing but only above 2*c.

Mine has been in the garage for 6 weeks and I've not heard a thing, ( still riding through the ice though) lol.

Shit Steve:(

I have loads of questions:

Which side broke down originally?
Did they change both sides or just the one?
Which side has broke this time?
Is it the same side that broke originally?
Is the noise exactly the same as the first time or differant?
What was the milage the first time?
How many miles has the second break down took to happen?
What did the dealer say?
What is Piaggio's reaction?

Sorry for all the questions but I believe we would all like to know:)

Loftyjohn

PS. I have been banging the miles on mine, 5200 now and it still sounds like a bag of bolts rattling around in a tin can:laugh:
It sound shits but is running qiute well, no apparent power loss but fuel economy is poor in the cold weather(100ish to fuel light)
I have followed the advice from the forum: ear plugs in, visor down and don't listen:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Hi Guys,

Thanks for the thoughts :)

Pete,

The whole carrier assembly was replaced on both heads. I was talking to Rob yesterday, was saying that he'd got another one in also with the same problem. I was told that the part that is failing is cast, and not forged. They're going to collect the bike tomorrow, so I'll get a better idea of what's what.

Double d,

I'd have to agree with you there bud :(

percival,

The left hand side went last time, roughly 2k miles since the last one went. I'll let you all know how things go.

If the bike was a toy, then I might forgive it's errant behaviour...But it's my only form of transport (Other than the nearby train), but given the catalogue of faults this particular machine has had, that and the fact it cost an awfull lot of my hard earned cash to buy...My patience is running very thin. As I said to Rob yesterday...It's only done 3200 miles, if MG can't get it right this time, then I'll have no choice but to get rid of it and buy something more reliable. In truth..I wish I had my 1100 still :(

Cheers,

Steve

Like DD im not upgrading ,it may only be a few bikes breaking but i need mine and for that money everyone should work. Guzzi must be loosing sales of 8v why do they stay quite about it ?
On the plus side youve got a good dealer on your side steve.

Steve, if I were you I'd kick up a big stink direct to the importer. I have no idea what the situation is in England but over here i know of a couple of cases where bikes that seemed irredeemable awful were replaced with brand new ones.

Pete

percival wrote:
Shit Steve:(

PS. I have been banging the miles on mine, 5200 now and it still sounds like a bag of bolts rattling around in a tin can:laugh:
It sound shits but is running qiute well, no apparent power loss but fuel economy is poor in the cold weather(100ish to fuel light)
I have followed the advice from the forum: ear plugs in, visor down and don't listen:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Can anyone tell me if the death rattle is only evident at idle, or on the move as well?
Like Lofty, mine sounds like a bag of bolts at idle, but as revs I dont notice it..

There is bulk ratting at idle, it's the backlash in the timing gears due to the 270/430 firing interval. Even with the idle up where it should be at 11-1200 RPM mine makes a noise like two cheesegraters fornicating in a tin bath when its hot and the oil is nice and thin.

Incidentally its 38*C ambient here today. If mine was going to misbehave? Today would be the day, so I've given it a really good thrashing and is just won't go wrong. 200KPH+ for over 10KM in that heat, (Very dangerous, the cops would throw away the key!) but there is a point that needs proving. I actively TRY to make mine blow up, not by abusing it, but simply by using it hard as it was designed to be and it WON'T GO WRONG! This is nothing to do with my abilities or lack thereof as a mechanic its simply using a machine hard and it steadfastly refusing to break!

Now I've got to go and have a shower because I can tell you that at 200KPH in 38*C heat there is bugger all cooling for a body even if there is for an engine:laugh:

Pete

The bike was picked up yesterday lunchtime, so now I'm awaiting the prognosis <sigh> I think I'm going to have to press for a replacement.

DecD,

As Pete said, there is a fair amount of mechanical rattle as standard, but once the 'death-rattle' ensues you can't miss it. Travelling at 60mph+wind blast+ Crash helmet it's very noticable.

The first set went at about 10C, the other day it was about 3-4C. What I find so strange some machines seem impervious to the problem, then there are ones like mine. When I spoke to the fellow who picked the bike up, their press bike has also sucummed to the DR. Somehow I don't think these are going to be isolated incidents. Not to put a downer on everyone...I begin to suspect it'll be a case of when, not if.

I've not looked, but have any of the Stelvios gone down with this as yet?

Cheers,

S

Yup, it doesn't seem to matter what the motor is in, the problem can occur on any of 'em.

As I said elsewhere in Oz the attrition rate has been *about* 5%.

No it's not temperature related. Where I live we have an average temperature swing of about 20 degrees C per day and the annual range is from -10 to +40 degrees C. I've ridden mine in everything from -8 to 39 with no issues.

Pete

Hmmm, the failing part is cast, not forged (or was, now that they're something new and apparently shiny ;) ).

So couldn't it just be a result of bad QC on a part that might be cast in China, Albenia or some other place where labour is cheap? So not a bad batch per se, just a significant percentage that won't be up to the task?

Regarding Guzzi remaining quiet: I'd hope everyone will get a recall notice once they find a definite solution, but I have a hunch they'll be testing that new part(s) a bit in the wild to be sure!

Meanwhile, everyone in a country where there's something like a 'hidden vice' legislation would do good to print the evidence discussed here, just in case their tappets go after warranty and for some reason Piaggio doesn't want to hear about replacing them free of cost ;)

I believe the parts are made by Aprillia in Italy.

I would gladly pay for the parts even under warranty if I was 100% sure the problem was solved after that.......

RJVB wrote:
Hmmm, the failing part is cast, not forged (or was, now that they're something new and apparently shiny ;) ).

So couldn't it just be a result of bad QC on a part that might be cast in China, Albenia or some other place where labour is cheap? So not a bad batch per se, just a significant percentage that won't be up to the task?
well if it is a casting fault it may well be that it is expanding and grabbing the tappet and preventing it from spinning effectively, maybe not enough to seize or overcome the effect of the falve spring but enough to slow or prevent rotation, which is one of the very first things I suggested after I'd seen the pics in Sydney.

Given that the design and finish of the tappets has also been changed it may well be that Guzzi themselves are unsure of what the problem is so they are re-manufacturing everything they think *might* be suspect. (Shrug?)

Pete

casting fault, or just bad quality casting leading to parts that are too brittle for instance? Not that I expect it to be this extreme, but I've seen things cast in China that had so much air bubbles in them one could almost break by hand. That kind of part can probably be polished/coated such that they work ... for the time they can withstand the operating conditions.

Yes, I think Guzzi themselves are (or have been) unsure what the exact problem is, and/or whether the new part(s) will prove to solve the issue. Note that it's well possible that 1) their provider of these parts sent high-spec samples during the selection/dev cycle but lower-spec/QC production parts and/or 2) they made their own parts during the engine's development and outsourced afterwards.

....Dum tee dum tee dum.... :S

Well....It's still at the shop, awating cams, or maybe cam followers, it's been three weeks now. Spoke to Rob a few minutes ago, parts should be with them by the end of week. It sounds like there seems to be some kind wrangling going on behind the scenes, regarding the whole cam affair. I'll get a better idea when I finally go in to collect it.

To be honest...I don't care anymore, it's been a dud since day one. Time to get something else.

Cheers,

Steve

An entirely understandable sentiment. I'm sorry its been such an unpleasant experience.

I suggest a couple of years break and try again but I'll understand if you don't bother.

FWIW the cause is known now and seems to be being addressed.

Anyway, all the best with your future rides.

pete

Back