• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

Oh for Christ sake!! It's broken again!!

Hi Pete, :)

What I find so tragic is the 1100 was just sublime, definately the best bike I've ever owned. Like you've said above, not all machines have had these probelms...I'm at a loss as to how a catalog of failures can have occured with this particular machine? If I rode the thing with utter contempt, then I'd understand. But I haven't, quite the opposite in truth.

I may well buy another Griso at a later date, tho it'd be the 1100. I've had my fingers burned enough with this bad tempered git.

Anyway I'll keep posting for the time being, it might be of interest for everyone here, let you all know how things are going ;)

Cheers, thanks for all your help :)

Steve

Hmmm, I was going to suggest that you'd consider going back to the 2V engine, indeed. Maybe even put a 1200 engine in your current frame? ;)

So what's the plan, take the bike back when repaired and try to sell it, or continue riding it and get yourself reimbursed possibly through some "unfit for purpose" law? If that works in the UK as it works here, that might well be more interesting for you (e.g. you could end up with a new bike that you could sell as such if you don't want to keep her).

Rene, :)

I suppose it could happen (engine change), apart from the simple fact that is the bike is only just over a year old...Actually I'll have to check the purchase date, now that I come to think of it. Anyway, as you know, it still has a years warranty left to go, given that it'd need some major surgery to change engines...But it's a moot point. Again, I'll chat with the guys and possibly contact the 'Main-man', have an honest conversation about it all. I'm not going to dip my toe into the murky waters of 'what if's' for the time being, as I said to Rob...I'm not interested in compensation, I just wanted the damned thing to work properly.

A+

Hi Steve,,,

Just to let you know that you are not alone. Except I haven't given up. My 8v broke down in early Dec. The dealer was given parts to do a repair and they failed on the test ride! Not good. My dealer is now waiting for a fresh package of parts for both sides of the engine. I was told that these will arrive in Japan on Feb. 10. I was told that this repair kit (parts) and procedure has been prepared by the factory and this will be standard issue. I've asked my dealer to negotiate a full engine swap. Possibly a swap for a new engine (from stock already in Japan) but one with these new parts put in before being mounted onto my bike. That's the way I want things to go down - but the importer is waiting to see exactly what is in this repair kit before agreeing to my request.

Fortunately I haven't missed any riding as the weather here has been miserable and unusually cold. No global warming this year.

Nick

Steve: of course putting in another engine will not be as simple as it sounds (you'd need another ECU or mapping, etc etc).

Giving the "damned thing" up without compensation would be a bit too much of a pity, no? Guess you could also decide to sell for parts, that'd be a befitting revenge ;)

Nick,

Komban wa! Genke des?

Really Sorry to hear your having similar probs :(

I'm 90% resigned to letting go and getting something else. There's going to need to be a fairly big rabbit pulled from the MG hat to re-enthuse me over the catalogue of pain-in-the-rear failures over the past year. I've had to step back on several occasions and objectively consider whether I've had a justified cause to complain, or have I just been a girly whiner?

To date(As I remember (the cronology is a bit vague now)), from the moment it arrived at the dealer;

1. Rocker box gasket wasn't seated properly, during the PDI it spewed oil over the engine, so it continued to throw oil over the back of the bike for several days after.
2. It broke down on the way home after collecting it (Faulty plug lead/cap). = Replaced.
3. First set of cams.
4. Factory recall over the timing nut washer. (But I still had to take a day off to get it fixed)
5. Leaky rocker boxes and poor fuelling behaviour/ poor cold start/ changed stepper motor and re-map. Still doesn't cold start very well. 2 helicoils fitted in the head LHS, as the screws pulled the threads = No more oil leak. RHS has weeped on occasion...Grrrr
6. Speedo sensor failure and prop stand switch = replaced.
7. Speedo sensor failure, which led to me fixing it myself.
8. 2nd set of cams failed, in the shop for 3 weeks and counting...

Also bear in mind that I've also used 5 days vacation, to get the time to address some of these issues, the joy of owning a 'new' machine has been well and truly shattered.

Now the trouble is (from my thinking, as a consumer), I've have paid a lot of money for this machine(As we all have), despite the mystical romanticizing...It's a machine. Given the level of technology now invested in them, and the fact that MG have been making bikes since 1921...They shouldn't be letting the ball drop like this, especially on what I've heard it called; "Their flagship model". If I walked into a car dealer I should fully expect the product to work right out of the box, give faultless performance for 100,000 miles, at least (Allowances for servicing + tyres,etc). My wife bought a SEAT 3 years ago, she's done nearly 30,000 miles...And zero defects. Not one.
I readily hold my hands up and say guilty as charged, as to being wooed away from the 1100, swayed by the silky smooth advertizing, the promise of better performance, new engine..blah,blah...And I feel it has bitten me on the arse once to often...

<Edit> Yeah..global warming...Lol. More snow here tonight...Bugger! ;)

Rene,

Yeah...I think, warranty issues aside, it'd be a bit of a nightmare to change engines like this. If it wasn't so expensive I'd be plucking the feathers out of this goose, invite y'all round for a barbecue ;) You know...I really am a bit stumped about the compensation thing, is the first time anything like this has happened, be interested to know yours and everyones thoughts.

Joking aside...Do you all think this is acceptable for an 11/12 month old bike, 3000 miles on the clock to behave?

Thanks again for listening ;)

Steve

No, it's not OK. But it can happen - it's been said before, a version 1.0 of anything is bound to show up "childhood diseases" that haven't been caught during pre-production testing. And even a tried-and-true model can turn out to be a lemon. My father-in-law had a Saab 9-3 (cabrio) seize on the highway, with less than 5000km on the odo.

As for the compensation ... it all depends how much you'd like to get. Even repaired, you'll lose on your investment if you sell your bike now. If you give her another chance and she fails again for the same reason, you could try to demand a replacement, which you could then sell as a brandnew bike. I'd probably go that route.
If I had to pay this sort of repair out of my own pocket, I'd probably try to sell the bike for parts, just to get rid of it.

Hi Gang

Lets face we all know to the problems with the 4v engine.
MG know to the problems.
I would imagine most of the trade will no doupt be aware by now.

Try selling one on:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: Thats the reaction you get.

I was in this dilema a few months back, MG will not have the bike back but will fix all the problems.
I was offered £6200 as a trade in for a KTM at ful list, £9200
Thats a loss of £2000 off the Stelvio and nothing off the KTM:(
I would say I was Fu*Ked.
Lets face it all you want from a bike is to ride it, love it and wash it untill you are ready to swap it in for a new one.
It just so frustrating, all of the little niggles attatch to owning an Italian piece of exotica. Then blow me if the engine has an inherent fault with the cams:( :( :( :( :(

I have decided to keep the bike 2 years, letting MG fix it as it breaks, learning to love the brand as I go:)
Plus I couldn't face the cash hit:(

The choice is with the owner. But I do think MG will sort it all out sooner or latter:)

Loftyjohn

Steve, stop doubting yourself ,if it was me i would get it repaired under warrenty you still have a year to go and hopefully Guzzi will come up with an answer soon to the problem,i have been told they are working on it.I would thrash it on getting it back but once warrenty is near the end i would make sure i was not the owner unless MG come good with answer.Speedway m/c are selling for £7500 not good.His your dealer still good or are they losing interest ?

Hi Guys,

Thanks again for your thoughts. Bit of a worry on the trade in front, eh? Thing is if I keep it for another year, even if the damned thing doen't break down again...I'm wondering if the additional mileage will knock the value even further.

I was watching some 8v youtube vids yesterday, reminded me how much character it has...Which galled me even further goddamnit!! :angry: Just as well it's in the shop... I could just kick it!

Steve

Oh...On a side note...Has anyone figured out why the Griso has lopsided footpegs?

In the forum there is a note about a recall for the 1200's, looks like the cams are being replaced on some units. I would assume yours fits this bill. Make sure that is brought to the attention of your dealer. I had to tell my dealer about the fuel line recall (after it failed).

Back