• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

Oh No - Not Tires

The zip tie method of containing the tyre sidewall and tube is a fantastic method of placing the tyre off and on the rim.
FWIW....I have used the ZipTie method several times but found it "cumbersome" with the stiffer sidewall tires, to the point that this Alabama humidity makes it unworkable. Now if I was in BFE that may be my only choice after plugs and micro compressor.
My NoMar was bought during a clearance sale and yes, most of my riding buddies end up at my place when it's time to re-shoe. We motorcyclists have a great life!!:cool:

Speaking of stiff sidewalls, this frigging rear Bridgestone gave me and my son a run for our money, ( and here I thought the old ME888 was stiff back when I installed it ). My new Constand tire changer was working the edge of its limits on that wide of a tire but it got it. Now I'll see how well it works on the front tire. FYI
I add 1.25oz of weights to balance the Bridgestone but that was after I re-broke down the tire and rotated it 180degrees on the rim.

Last edited:
First, think about safety. I use a small portable space heater with the tire leaned up against it. Then make a tent over it with something and drink a beer while it heats up but don't leave it alone. Fire, melted tire etc.

I decided on my new tires and put on Avocado Kodachrome AKA AVON COBRA CHROME. My niece was unable to pronounce the brand name.:) I have used all the other brands and wanted to try something new with long life so as not to go thru the tire removal process too often. I took off the left paneer with protector and the left exhaust. Took off the right paneer and exhaust. I took off the rear protector. I used a Black Widow Pro scissor jack to lift each end and removed and replaced the tires. I have jigger rigged wood and jacks before but this time I wanted the scissor jacks and they worked superbly.

After putting the machine back together I went for 250 mile ride and these tires made the world of difference from the 11 year old Dunlops. They are quieter, softer and grip the road when cornering on a hill when you get a bit of uplift on the bike. The Michelins would be a close second to them. I took the bike on the same route as I took my 2003 CA EV1100 on Wednesday and big difference in the road grab. The EV1100 has the michelins and being lighter it handled differently than a 725 pound bike so it was good to have the comparison. I am able to adjust the compression and rebound on the EV1100 for comparison as well.

So personal preferences and differences aside, what tires are folks recommending?? The Exedras? Jeez, too much drama for a tire thread.
There are 27 pages here of recommendations and all of them are personal preference.
The 777's seem to be recommended the most but they don't come in the 200/60. My son runs the 777's on his Honda and he likes them a lot but I decided to stay with the stock 200/60. I myself did not get good mileage out of my Metzeler 888's so I went with the Bridgestones this time. Now with as little time as I have put on the new tires I can report the my Cali leans into a curve/turn a lot faster but that may change when they wear in some.

So personal preferences and differences aside, what tires are folks recommending?? The Exedras? Jeez, too much drama for a tire thread.

All tire and oil threads ALWAYS devolve into hot messes.

This is why they are frowned upon here.

One person loves a particular tire or oil and 3 others hate it. Never changes.

Asking other people their opinion on tires is like asking their opinion on toilet paper or toothpaste.

It’s truly useless quite honestly.

I myself have gleaned some good info from this thread, before reading here I always assumed Shinko's were third rate tires. Going to the 185/65 will be my next tire change if these Bridgestones don't work out. Arm & Hammer ( Peroxicare!! ) is my toothpaste of choice though I don't get as many brushings out of tube like I did with my last tube of Crest 😁

...I always assumed Shinko's were third rate tires...

Ha! Nothing could be further from the truth. Excellent tires. I love them very much and so did my customers.

But remember, chocolate, vanilla, strawberry...

Somebody will chime in how they hate them... it's inevitable.

Back