RentAGuzzi Motorcycle Rentals & Tours – Los Angeles CA
  1. Ciao Guest, Happy 2019! Note all of our products and custom bike builds are now on our sister site; GTMotoCycles.com. You may need a new username and password to get into the new GTM Store system - pending and past order info is available there. NOTE: We are not Amazon, we are a tiny one man operation. Thanks for your patience on orders. GuzziTech is now back to our origins; Enjoy the Guzzi Community Forum and Resources here. There is zero tolerance on personal attacks and off-site links to other Forums or competing products. Note there's decades of Guzzi hands-on experienced help on this site, all whom give endless amounts of their time for free - be courteous. For those who are new here, the owner of this site (Todd - GT-Rx®) has been immersed in Guzzis since 1999. He's raced and wrenched for two-thirds of his life, both Pro dirt-track and road-race, and contributed to Cycle World Magazine from 2000 until 2007. He began Guzzi dyno performance modifying and fuel tuning in 2001, and has been wrenching them full time since 2007. His GT MotoCycles workshop has been open for ~4 years in Orange, CA. We do not have a phone number for this site or GTM, we're online only... do not ask us to call you. Click on the Service tab above for more info or to book an appointment -- it is not a retail shop to visit. If you're in L.A., you can come sample our work via our rental fleet - click the image link above. In a few short years GuzziTech.com will hit the 20 year mark of providing advice and tech tips for free. Understand that this is a privately paid for website, not a free social media platform littered with ads to help pay for it. Donations appreciated via the Account upgrade (see Site Support section below) or the Donate tab above, which unlocks all of the content here along with the Classifieds, Ask the Wrench sections and our Seasonal discount notices. Thank you for all of the continued support and contributions.

Oh No - Not Tires

Discussion in 'Cal 1400 8V' started by abbienormal, Jun 4, 2014.

1. abbienormal

abbienormal High Miler GT Famiglia

Everybody has their preferences but Dunlop is not on my favorite brand list. I have done some quick searches and found no other tire except the original Dunlops listed for a 2014 California Touring. Is there anything else? I looked under Michelin, Metzler, Pirelli (same company as Metzler), and Avon. Nothing recommended. I am at 3,700 miles on mine and I figure I am half way through. Just thought I would see what was available.

2. abbienormal

So now I have to correct myself. If you go to the tire manufacturer's website or several motorcycle accessory distributor websites nothing is shown. Now I would contact the tire companies to make sure they are correct but Amazon.com has an Avon tire specifically called out for the rear of the California but there are a couple Avon tires in the front size without calling out the Guzzi. They also have Metzlers and Bridgestones in the correct sizes. Hopefully in a few months when I really need them the selection will be even better.
    Never owned an Avon tire. Continental, Metzler, Michelin and Bridgestone mostly.
    I did a search by tire size in Google and sure enough Amazon came up. I laughed till I saw they had them.

JerrysGuzzi likes this.
  3. kiwi dave

kiwi dave GT Reference

A tire thread!

I am also not a fan of Dunlop. I got nearly 5000 miles out of a rear tire, and nearly 7000 out of the front. But they never gave me any confidence in the ride.

I fitted a Bridgestone BT020 on the rear, plenty of tread left after 7000 miles. For the front, the only tire I could find was the Michelin Commander II. This is a long life tire, but it has never let go despite grinding off the "sacrificial anodes" (a metal projection under the floorboards. The plastic "sliders" were removed shortly after purchase).

I'm happy with this combination, but will be looking for matching set, probably try a Bridgestone BT020 or BT021 on the front next time. Perhaps other manufactures will catch up with the unusual front size one day.

4. GT-Rx®

GT-Rx® Administrator Staff Member

It doesn't look like there are many paired options here in the U.S. There's tons of unmatched fronts, only a few rear options.
    I see:

Cal 14 Tires:
    130/70 R 18”
    200/60 R 16”

$FR/RR:
    AVON AV71 COBRA - $160/$218
    BRIDGESTONE EXEDRA - $101/$147
    DUNLOP D251 - $156/$214
    METZELER ME880 MARATHON - $145/$198

Looks like someone (not interested mostly in stickiness) might find it worth trying the Exedras for the $. As Dave says, hopefully the tire manufacturers will step up. I'm personally not a Avon fan. The remaining three are just OK in my book (and I'm a big Dunlop fan!).

JerrysGuzzi likes this.
  5. vagrant

vagrant Cruisin' Guzzisti GT Contributor

if it were mine and at the risk of being crucified I would run the 2012 Gold wing Bridgestone tires. 704/709. Front is right size rear is a 180/60. they last and I bet the handling is better. I never did understand why they put a 200 on it other than looks. speedo might be off but nothing ventured nothing gained. next step is a car tire.

6. abbienormal

Just got back from putting 3,300 miles in rain, dry, highway and back roads around the Cabot Trail on my new Metzlers. I can see some flat spotting on the rear. Front looks good but looking at it and past experience with tires I'll bet it is cupping by 7,000 miles which is what I hope to get out of the rear. Then I'll change both again. I was definitely easy on them as I never scraped the plastic sliders on the floorboards. I had confidence in the tires in the rain with no problems.
    For reference I got 4,200 out of the stock tires and was satisfied with the ride and traction but short life and what I perceive as a handling improvement with the Metzlers says no more Dunlops on my Cali. They may have had at best another 1,000 miles on them but the trip and a nail in the rear determined they had to go.
    My experience with tires includes not only my own bikes over the years but 20 years working at a Honda motorcycle dealer, long ago 1973-1993, and selling many tires. Dunlops used to be my favorite till about the time the 391 came out. I have tried them several times since and always regretted it. Just my opinion on tires as we all know nobody will agree on what to run.
    I'll be curious if anybody runs the GoldWing tire combo. Might work and maybe last.

7. MJPTexas

MJPTexas Cruisin' Guzzisti

I've been waiting over a month for the Dunlop 251 front replacement. Supposed to be here Sept 10. I have a new Dunlop 251 on the back. I'm seriously considering buying something different for the front as I'm tired of waiting. Considering the Dunlop Elite 3 radial, which is a recommended replacement for the Goldwing.

8. Ranger

Ranger Just got it firing!

My tire of choice is the Bridgestone Exedra Max Cruiser and Touring Tire, matched set front and rear. I almost had my tires replaced when I purchased my 1400-T but did not, big mistake. Photo shows the OEM Dunlop rear after 1,338 miles, 70mph, I-95 Florida, not fun.

Dunlop tire 1.jpg Dunlop tire 2.jpg Dunlop tire 3.jpg

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 8, 2014
  9. GT-Rx®

GT-Rx® Administrator Staff Member

:eek:

So the tire delaminated internally? A massive manufacturer defect if so. It lost air I assume by the sounds of your post? This is the first I've ever seen or heard of anything like this. Did you contact Dunlop direct on it? If not, I would.

10. abbienormal

Please post how the Bridgestones work out. Always willing to try something different if enough people say it is better. Not a big fan of Bridgestones but my last set were good. I always end up back on Michelin or Metzler except the BMW R1200GS. I went back to the OEM Continentals after the Michelins. Just did not feel good on the Anakee 2's.

11. abbienormal

Update on the Metzler 880's. I now have about 5,200 miles on them. Depending on how far you wear your tires down I think the most I would push them is another 1,000 miles and it better not rain much. So I'd say they are about 1,000 miles better than the OEM Dunlops which I replaced in about the same condition at 4,100 miles with a nail in it but the Metzlers did ride better and give a better feel. The front looks maybe half worn at best so probably 2 to one. I may look for a different rear this time. WInter is almost here so new tire time again I guess.

12. kiwi dave

kiwi dave GT Reference

I've got another Bridgestone BT-020 sitting in my garage, waiting for the existing rear to get rid of it's remaining tread. It's got around 8,000 miles, with probably another 1k to go. Not bad for a so-called sport-touring tire.

For the front, I'm gonna try the Bridgestone Excedra, since I found out that the tire shop told me a little porkie about the Michelin Commander II. Turns out it's a bias tire, which some say shouldn't be paired up with a radial. Can't say I've had any issues, I like the Michelin and would fit it again if the Excedra disappoints.

13. abbienormal

I did not know Michelin made a tire to fit. I checked their site and it says no.

14. stephenm

stephenm Cruisin' Guzzisti GT Contributor

15. ghezzi

ghezzi High Miler GT Contributor

Cali 1400?
    I fink ya need a bigger boat!

16. kiwi dave

kiwi dave GT Reference

Penis Envy!!

17. mikeaedmonds

mikeaedmonds Cruisin' Guzzisti

I have 5500kms on both tires, dont see a reason to change yet. When i do change i aim to use a Bridgestone Exedra Max Radial on the rear, not sure when or what i will use on the front. Matching set in the Bridgestone Exedra Max Radial approx 355 CAD.

18. abbienormal

I decided to test out something different. I picked up a set of Avon AV71 and AV72 Cobra's. Unfortunately I live in NE Ohio and it is 29 degrees out right now plus the bike is on the lift. Back tire is on but front is still waiting for me to turn the bike around. That will happen after I finish cleaning the back and sealing the saddlebags again.
    I'll ride down to 32 but I worry about ice after that so road conditions and the amount of salt and gravel rule when it is winter and cold.

19. vagrant

vagrant Cruisin' Guzzisti GT Contributor

careful, run them at 42psi. I had them on the wing 1800 /2014. front works ok and the rear might work on flat interstates but the Blue ridge pky destroyed the rear IN 2200 miles. next time try the 704 / 709 Bridgestone's. when you finally get tired of paying the price put on the Michelin alpen run flat car tire in 195 55/16 Michelin Primacy Alpin PA3 ZP 195/55-16 ZP is run flat a great safety feature. http://gl1800riders.com/forums/search.php?searchid=9781881 go here for a real education.
    if somebody hd suggested a car tire to me a year ago I would have said you're nuts! not anymore.

20. Joe Meyers

Joe Meyers Tuned and Synch'ed

I had Dunlops at frist and then the AVONS Cobras very happy with the Cobras have about 5200 and looking good.

I like the grip they
    provide.