• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

OIl 10/60w oil in the UK

macguzzy

Tuned and Synch'ed
Guys
I've read the posts and I need to source OIl 10/60w in the UK anyone any ideas? What about Rock Oil Synthesis 4 10W60 F-Synthetic Engine Oil? Anyone use this?

Any advice would be great

Cheers

Jock

Well, as you're asking.....

The book for my '05 Breva 1100 says fully synth 5W40, and Moto Strada say they use 15W50, on here it's 10W60, so I dunno, do these things ever wear out?

Has any one ever taken one apart and said 'You see that, they've been putting the wrong oil in here!'

Guzzi has told dealers the correct updated oil is 10-60. If you want to use something else, go ahead. I use Motorex 10-60 which is Swiss, so perhaps available in the UK? It's definitely easy to find in the US.

Rock Oil Synthesis 10/60 should be well up to the job, they haven't been selling it too long, I think it retails for about £40. I use various types of Rock Oil engine oil in my other bikes, have done for several years, it's a good product.
I only recently found out about the Rock Oil 10/60, so prior to this I bought 4litres of Castrol 10/60l Edge Sport, it is easily available from many motor factors for around £39. Once the castrol is gone I'll use the Rock OIl as I can get it trade price. I was in my local branch of Euro Car Parts yesterday and noticed that they sell Valvoline 10/60 synthetic engine oil, for about £38.
Rock Oil also sell a high spec good quality semi synthetic 15/50 and 20/50 engine oil, which I and several friends have used in various BMW and Harley davidsons for several years. Remember that we don't have to buy motorcycle specific oil as we have seperate engine and gearbox and no wet clutch. I read somewhere that its best though that the oil is rated for both petrol and diesel engines, so an API spec should read something like SL/CG. I dont understand why the need for the diesel rating, it must be to do with the additives; I do know that Harley Davidson suggest using a diesel rated oil if you cannot use their own brand engine oil.

I bought 20l in 4 cans of Shell Helix 15W/50 of Ebay from a oil reseller in the NEast. Good stuff price the same as normal oil

Millers 10/60 can be bought on e bay and some dealers.
I usually pay around £40 - 45 for 5 litres

Thanks everyone,

I've just checked my oil and in 3K I've not used anything....is this normal? Should I change the oil every 3k or wait until 6K.

Cheers

Paul

I have not added any oil to my Stelvio between changes, although I have changed the oil at the first service approx 800miles then again at approx 1600miles(cam follower recall) then it was changed at the 12 month service interval at approx 4.5k miles. With my other bikes I generally half the manufacture's oil change interval, and then do an oil and filter change at the specified mileage. Probably a bit of overkill and rather unneccessary, but I get my oil very cheaply and of course it doesn't cause any harm. I will continue this practice with my Stelvio, it gives me comfort to know my babies have clean oil flowing through their veins :)

I use Castrol Edge sport 10/60. and it seems to be very good, noticable quieter engine and an empty wallet :lol:
Want to change the Carc and gearbox next for Castrol products, anyone got the numbers of what's required??

The engine runs hot as it runs lean, the trans and carc dont, use a good oil that you like. The trans and carc are not as sensitive as the engine. I use Mobil 1 or castrol gear lubes in my carc bikes, and my eldo, no problems. I've used the redline pink stuff, but really cant tell a difference between oils in the trans or carc. I do make sure to use good oil in the engine

Hi again,
Just had an e-mail from Dave Milling saying they can't sell at that price anymore and will hold my order. They didn't quote a new price so I've asked the question, and will post the response as soon as I get it.

Cheers,

Keith.

macguzzy said:
Guys
I've read the posts and I need to source OIl 10/60w in the UK anyone any ideas? What about Rock Oil Synthesis 4 10W60 F-Synthetic Engine Oil? Anyone use this?

Any advice would be great

Cheers

Jock

10w-60 is specified for the 8v motors, so it seems wise to use it, though I don't know how vitally important it is. Pete Roper has looked carefully inside the engine at the oil galleries as well as the moving parts and he says it's clear why top quality/the right oil must be used in these motors. Don't forget that oil is used a bit differently in the current motors than in the older V twins.

Motorex is the main 10-60 that I've seen (in bike shops) and I have bought Motul:
'Motul 7100 4T 10W-60 High performance lubricant for bikes 100% Synthetic'.

Americans like to stick with SG rated oil which has the protective additives that the valve-train in these Guzzi motors like. but as far as I understand, the uprated European oils maintained more of the zinc/phosphorous than the equivalent American oils (which lost a lot more in uprating from SG). The Motorex used to be SG, but I think it's now at one of the higher ratings. That's probably not an issue, as it's European and also it has the JASO bike ratings. I didn't want to use the Castrol 10-60 as I reckon that the Castrol Sport oil is more suited to modern fours rather than the Guzzi twins. Similarly, I don't think that car oils are the most suitable thing to use. Just because the Guzzi clutch doesn't run in oil doesn't mean that any car oils are suitable or 'just as good' for any of the Guzzi motors and particularly the 8Vs.

I'm especially concerned about the particular lubrication needs of the tappet design in the 8V motors and I don't want to carelessly throw car oil or diesel engine oil at the motor. It's hard to know for sure: the internet wouldn't be loaded with oil debates if there were clear cut answers. I may be over-sensitive because the tappets disintegrated at 2,000 miles, but that experience inclines me to be careful about looking after the tappets – and so careful about oil choice.

I've been usuing engine oil packaged and marketed as car oil for years in various harley davidsons, and BMWs, so have various friends who also use it in watercooled bikes such as modern triumph triples and BMW 650GS singles. I know a bloke who races a CBR600 honda on 10/40 semi synthetic car oil, has done for years. I've yet to hear of any problems.
I have communicated with Castrol regarding the suitability of their 10/60 synthetic Edge sport oil, they reccommend it.

Hello again,

Back to the Agip 10-40 from Dave Milling, as used in my 4v Norge. It's now up to £10.40 for a 1ltr bottle. So time to move on!

Cheers,

Keith.

Photo-Doctor said:
Hello again,

Back to the Agip 10-40 from Dave Milling, as used in my 4v Norge. It's now up to £10.40 for a 1ltr bottle. So time to move on!

Cheers,

Keith.

You really using 10-40 in a 4v (or any) Norge, or is that a typo for 10-60? If the former, seems potentially very penny wise pound foolish to me, comparing the relatively very trivial cost for something changed only every 6000 miles to the potential cost in possible premature engine wear/damage.

drbulloch said:
You can get Castrol 10/60 in BMW car dealers, its not cheap.

Charlie
It's about 38 quid from my local car spares shop, which I think is still expensive for oil.

Back