• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

Oil accumulating around inside plug

Brubon

Just got it firing!
For awhile I've had a bit of oil leaking down the left-front part of my engine. Numerous trips to the dealer have amounted to nothing but a waste of time. Feeling ambitious, I figured I would try my hand at finding where this oil is coming from so I removed the tank and discovered oil has been welling up around the spark plug on the left-inside. I guess as I accelerate and brake the accumulated oil makes its way between the fins and trickles out and down. As it follows the fin's edge outward and gets into the air stream, what is essentially a small bit of oil makes a spattering mess on my foot and starter cover.

I wanted to remove the plug but it looks like a special tool is needed to remove it. Any thoughts on what could be the cause? I have no less than 4 dealers within a 30-minute ride from home but the service technicians are utterly incompetent. Even though I'm under warranty until October, I feel compelled to solve this myself if possible.

http://i525.photobucket.com/albums/cc33 ... GP2299.jpg
http://i525.photobucket.com/albums/cc33 ... GP2300.jpg
http://i525.photobucket.com/albums/cc33 ... GP2303.jpg

The way to remove that plug is to grind down the out side diameter a regular spark plug socket so as to fit in the access hole. But your problem is not the plug but more likely the O ring sealed head bolt access screw. Pull the valve cover, above were the spark plug is located you will see on the cylinder head a large allan head bolt.

http://72.184.189.53:48536/shares/Data/ ... Manusl.pdf

Go Here on page 49 Tab 47 Part #15 and 16 is the bolt in question.

You can download the whole manual and save it.

This for a Norge but it the same basic motor as yours.

Hope this helps

Thanks Dan. If it's a leaky o-ring, that seems like a simple enough fix.
I can't get over how tight the quarters are around that spark plug. So much so that I'm skeptical about having to grind down a standard plug socket.I'll do that if need be but I gotta believe there's an actual tool for that.

I've never pulled a valve cover, would you recommend that I replace its gasket when I put it back together?

There is a special too for the inner plug but it is pricey and hard to get and I have heard of at least one case where the special tool broke anyway. Most are grinding down a 5/8" deep socket to fit (is basically what the 'special tool' is).

It's a good idea to have a valve cover gasket (or two) on hand but they usually come off clean and can be re-used, but sometimes they will tear and then replacing may be necessary. They are cheap enough to just keep a couple around.

Since you have never pull or put on a Valve cover, beware of over tightening the valve cover bolts, snug them up then 1/4 turn more !

Guys, just a slim possibility here, but could the oil be coming from the rubber vent hose ? It's hard to tell from the pictures, but oil will obey the laws of gravity and air movement. That spark plug hole is a low place for it to collect from somewhere higher. All I know is that my left vent hose connection was loose, and oil went all over everything. Fortunately, it was a simple(though hot and messy) roadside fix. However, it was very difficult to tell exactly where the oil was coming from to begin with.

You ever do a repair or change something to get rid of a problem, but you're not quite sure if in fact that really was the solution? Well this isn't one of those times. Through some great tips from you guys, I changed the o-ring in question and I was shocked and delighted at the same time to find a metal shard embedded in the rubber seal. Are you kidding me??

http://i525.photobucket.com/albums/cc33 ... GP2318.jpg

Everything is back together now but the weather has turned super cold here in Toronto so I can't put the bike through its paces until the weekend. I'm feeling pretty good that this problem is behind me.

Thanks again for all your help guys.

Back