Ridemalibu Motorcycle Rentals & Tours – Los Angeles CA
  1. Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. In SoCal? See the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have are already answered on the Forum with FACTS, NOT OPINIONS. PLEASE DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back if you are posting elsewhere on the web. Note there's decades of Guzzi hands-on experienced help on this site, all whom give endless amounts of their time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL! There is zero tolerance on personal attacks and off-site links to other Forums or competing products. Also be sure to click on the STORE link also above for our 600+ product inventory, including many of our 100% Made-in-house-USA GTM products and engine kits. We appreciate the consideration, understanding and your business... past and future. And if you haven't seen our MotoCycle (not) art, click on the BUILDS tab above to see our work at our sister business; GT MotoCycles®-- WE ARE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED.

Oil change issue

Discussion in 'V7/V85/V9 Chat & Tech' started by Larry Vance, May 14, 2019.

1. Larry Vance

Larry Vance Tuned and Synch'ed GT Contributor

Changing the oil on my 2013 V7 with the sump extender (2.5 liters capacity). Added 2 litres of oil then by mistake another half liter of gear oil(85-140) . Agip oil and gear oil bottles look the same. Can I leave it in or should I drain it and replace the oil. Thanks

2. Raven

Raven Cruisin' Guzzisti GT Famiglia

Replace it. 1/2 liter is 20% of the capacity. A costly mistake but cheaper than a motor.

3. GuzziMoto

GuzziMoto GT Reference GT Contributor

I would expect the prevailing opinion to be drain and re-fill with the right oil.
    Personally I would run it as is. Some would worry about the difference in oil weights, the engine oil being 10 -60 and the gear oil being 85 - 140. But gear oil uses a different scale and 85 - 140 is not far from 15 - 60 (which is just about the required 10-60). I am pretty sure that the half quart of gear oil would not blow up your motor. But as with all advice from the internet it is only worth what you paid for it.

4. vagrant

vagrant High Miler GT Contributor

change it.

5. Larry Vance

Larry Vance Tuned and Synch'ed GT Contributor

i did. went for a10 mile ride to warm things up and changed it. cheap insurance. Thanks