Ridemalibu Motorcycle Rentals & Tours – Los Angeles CA
  1. Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. In SoCal? See the Service tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work. NEW REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - AND PLEASE DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: Most questions you may have are well answered on the Forum. As a common courtesy, check back if you are posting elsewhere on the web. There is zero tolerance on personal attacks and off-site links to other Forums or competing products. Note there's decades of Guzzi hands-on experienced help on this site, all whom give endless amounts of their time for free - be courteous. Also be sure to click on the Store link also above for our 600+ product inventory, including many of our 100% Made-in-house-USA GTM products and engine kits. We are still mostly a one man operation (not Amazon), so thanks in advance for your patience on orders. We do our best to get things out as quickly as possible, and we also aren't in control of things like customs & weather delays, etc. PLEASE refrain from emailing about your order Status, as you will get an email with tracking info when your order goes out; Email inquiries on orders slows everything down. Orders are currently being shipped once or twice a week. You can always sign into the online Store system to check the status. Please refrain if at all possible about emailing for an update; If you must ask for order info, please reply on the actual order email. You will get shipping info when it goes out via our online Store system (check your Spam folder), and if you want to cancel your order, please notify us direct email (do not post or use the Forum) and allow 7-10 business days for a reply BEFORE disputing the charge. We don't want your money if we can't deliver. Special order items are subject to a 15-20% cancellation fee. We cannot answer questions direct unless it’s about something on the Store or that you have purchased from us. We do NOT have a phone number - We are online only - Do not email and tell us to call you. You will find us highly responsive via email on the Contact page with any questions on our products (only). We appreciate the consideration, understanding and your business... past and future. Also be sure to see our GTMotoCycles.com custom BUILDS tab above.

Oil Cooler Thermostats

Discussion in 'Stelvio Chat & Tech' started by leafman60, Nov 17, 2014.

1. leafman60

leafman60 Cruisin' Guzzisti

Apparently there is doubt about whether the Guzzi 8V Motors have a thermostat in the oil cooler circuit.

http://derale.com/products/coolers/accessories/fluid-control-thermostats

These are sold through several race product and automotive supply outlets, about $60.

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/DER-13011/

They keep your oil temps to 180 degrees minimum. The screw-in connector points allow elbows and fittings to aid in location of the thermostat.

[​IMG]

A couple of past Harley Davidson parts that are discontinued but can still be found at some dealers and on Ebay. Any dealer can give you a nationwide search to locate obsolete parts still in stock at dealers.

H-D 62678-99

[​IMG]

H-D 62824-97 (an old Lockhart part)
    [​IMG]

Improved Racing with ratings up to 215 degrees-
    http://www.improvedracing.com/oiling-system/thermostats-c-3_34.html

Also from England-
    Mocal
    http://www.mocal.co.uk/products.html#thermostats

Other options also exist.

Last edited: Nov 17, 2014
  2. Flatslide

Flatslide Just got it firing!

According the manual the Stelvio has already one..

Chek page 172 Workshop manual.

Grts

3. pauldaytona

pauldaytona Cruisin' Guzzisti

First take one in pieces before you trust the manual, check parts list too.

4. GuzziMoto

GuzziMoto GT Reference GT Contributor

I haven't heard from anyone who actually had one stock on their Guzzi. Maybe they are there, but I would have to see it to believe it. They certainly act like they do not have one. They are notorious for mayonnaise in the oil when run in cool damp climates.
    We used to run them on our Ducati race bikes, the thermostats. They work well and are a great idea for any oil cooled bike. You wouldn't normally run a water cooled bike without a thermostat (unless it is a TZ250 or other such), why would you run an oil cooled motor that way?

5. leafman60

leafman60 Cruisin' Guzzisti

Au contraire mon ami.

You cannot trust the factory manuals. They didn't update the pages to show that these 8V motors do not have the thermostat that was featured on preceding engines.

I don't understand the engineers reasoning but no thermostats on the later 8V motors.

The 1100/1200 engines that preceded the 8V show the thermostat on the parts fiche.
    Item # 5, part number GU01163500
    [​IMG]

The 8V motors show no thermostat, only the cover (item 8 ) that went over it
    [​IMG]

The oil cooler circuit of the 8V motor also shows no thermostat in the circuit or in the cooler
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 21, 2014
  6. mrcanns

mrcanns Cruisin' Guzzisti

Over simplification I'm sure but cover 8 seal 7 appear to be the same perhaps the 1100/1200 stat would fit?

7. kiwi dave

kiwi dave GT Reference

That went through my mind too. But it would be a brave person to fit one without determining what the thermostat would be controlling/restricting.

FWIW, the California 1400 motor doesn't appear to have a thermostat fitted either. But it appears to have two temperature sensors (excluding the air temperature sensor). One is shown on the wiring diagram (887421 Temp. Sensor) and the other at the bottom of the crankcase (B063461 Thermometric switch). The latter one is interesting as it is immersed in the oil. But what is it's purpose, as I cannot see any system where the ECU can control the flow to the oil cooler? Any enlightenment would be appreciated.

8. mrcanns

mrcanns Cruisin' Guzzisti

Giving this some more thought earlier motor cooler is there for the lubricating oil and cooling in the normal air cooled sense it may be very difficult to devise a system to bring the lab oil up to temp and keep the high flow cooling oil cool?

9. kiwi dave

kiwi dave GT Reference

Found the answer to my own question. The Thermometric switch controls the fan behind the oil cooler. Duh!

10. jiltedjohn

jiltedjohn Cruisin' Guzzisti

I've fitted an R+R thermometer dipstick to my 8v Sport, and on a hundred mile ride out today, in ambient temperatures of between 7 and 10 degrees C, was interested to find oil temp of 100 C. In fact , having warmed the engine up for five mins and then gone a mile to juice up, the temp was already at 40. The bike is bog stock. I've still got a stat on order to plumb in at some point.

11. John Warner

John Warner Cruisin' Guzzisti GT Contributor

I made and fitted a Thermostat unit to my '09 Stelvio around 3000 miles ago.
    Thermo2 (2).jpg ThermoCircuit1.jpg
    It uses a standard Wax-Stat unit, set to begin opening at 93°C
    Below that, the vast majority of the Oil flows directly to the Heads (a very small % still flows through the Cooler all the time).

It warms up much quicker now, and settles at around 110-115°C.

The Stelvio Engine is over-cooled when it comes to the Oil.
    Fully Synthetic Oils should run at around 110-120°C ideally.
    The Oil in mine would struggle to get much above 75-80°C during the cooler months (ambient temps of 12°C or less), or in Rain.
    I was getting a lot of 'Mayo' (emulsified Oil deposits) in the Rocker Covers.

Not any more . . .

Imagine the fuss if a manufacturer offered a water-cooled Engine with no Thermostat?

joenuclear likes this.