• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

Oil Coolers for Round fins???

el jedi

Just got it firing!
Aloha Guzzi,
Couple Q's for the Gang: Thinking about adding an Oil Cooler to my 76, and I'd like to add an Oil Pressure Gauge.

On the Oil Cooler: What are my opptions, I have your standard 1" Slump extention plate, is there a way to machine fittings?
Or do I have to get a different spacer? From a newer model? Machine into my Slump pan?

Next: I've always wanted to add an Oil Pressure Gauge to my 76 Lemans (a mechanical one).
Is there a "Proper" place to machine this into my cases? Or is there a factory location just waiting to be tamped into?
Why: Think I would have blown up a few less Hot Rod'ed motors if my gauge was Yelling signs of DOOM at me, lol.

Ok boyz, bring it, lets hear them theories & stories. I'll quitely wait for tails from Guzzilandia, and tales.

Aloha, and much Mahalo,
el jedi

completely un-neccessary, (The cooler.) On my SP1000 which has a warmed over 948cc mid-valve motor I have both temperature guage and pressure guage. Even on 40*C+ days the only time the temperature goes over 120*C is idling in heavy traffic. Once moving again temperature quickly falls to 110-125*C. Pressure once above 2,000RPM reains constant at mid fifties PSI. If you need a cooler on a roundfin there is something wrong with its state of tune. Not even our race bike needs a cooler. Why add extra weight for no reason?

Pete

Thats how I've always felt too Pete, plus thier a dam ugly thing to hang on a bike that doesn't need it.
I'll take your advice, and save some donuts. My engine is way Hopped up (992kit, 12/1, SS cam, 41Delo's, ect, ect)
but probly not as hot as your Race bike engine, thats good news for me... though a few times on some of the slower & twister up hill canyons back in So Cal, I would feel her losing a little BHP here and there.

On the Oil Presure Guage: There are two reasons for me wanting one; One, I've just always wanted something cool and fuctional to hang out in that empty spot between the Triple Tree and the beautiful Lemans/V7 Tank valley; Its always been bagging for some thing cool there... But it aint COOL if its not fuctional overall towards the bike, right, so an Oil Pressure Gauge it is and will be
Number Two; Most of the time you know whats going on down there, heck, there Guzzi's. But there have been two times over the years (Once at the track, once miles from home), that if I had known my oil pressure was dropping, I would have known to pull over and have a lot less to rebuild later... aka, before she blows all the way, scares cylinder sleeves, melts pistons, ect.
But again, mostly, what would complete a Cafe Racer theme better than a cool two / two & half inch gauge setting all pretty in that pocket.

Lastly, so stoked ya jumped in Pete, cause I was gonna be tracking ya down sooner than later.
Do you still make them Anti-Oil Splash Plates? Would like to finally put one on my Lemans this time around on the build,
Plus my v11sport could sure use one too. Let me know, and big time Mahalo on the Cooler, I was like, where the BLANK
am I going to put that ugly thing.
Aloha,
el jedi

You can put a mechanical oil pressure gauge where the sender unit usually goes. Can't remember the fittings I used but the case is metric and my gauge fitting is American but any decent hydraulic supply house can sort it out. If I remember rightly there was a pipe fitting in there somewhere :D

Instead of a cooler you could put on a Cali sump with the larger oil filter, enlarge your oilways to 11mm and fit a later oil pump.

Attachments

• IMG_4122.JPG
    IMG_4122.JPG
    98.9 KB · Views: 631
  • IMG_4129.JPG
    IMG_4129.JPG
    97.3 KB · Views: 631
Aloha Guzzigray

Cool, I'll look into it further. And its great to know there is already an out-let for such a device in the casting.

On the oil pan, I added the the deep slump spacer and a much newer model pump.
When you say machine out to 11mm for more flow... Are you talking about the cases or
the pan slump holes?

Mahalo, and much Aloha.
el jedi

Hi there.

The case oil ways would have to be enlarged. Behind the pump and at the bottom of the sump. I think all the factory did was machine the existing blocks with something like a counter sink bit. The holes are enlarged to a depth of a few mm.

Excuse my terminology!!

Without having the parts in font of me it's hard for me to explain but you get the jist...... Check with Sean Fader.

Mahalo Grey,

That makes a ton of sense, and sounds just like Guzzi and the factory, lol.

My Lemans is going off to Fader (Sean) for this rebuild (since I'm in Kauai these days and miles from
my babies). Gonna have him rebuild my bottom end all the way through the top end.
So I'll have him add it to my list, hoping this will be my last rebuild, lol.

Off to the beach, I'll check in later, Mahalo.
el jedi

I have an oil cooler problem dude. Can anyone help me out? I don't really know what to do.

KennyRogers said:
I have an oil cooler problem dude. Can anyone help me out? I don't really know what to do.

Can you be a little more specific? What bike, and what is the problem?

guzzigray said:
Hi there.

The case oil ways would have to be enlarged. Behind the pump and at the bottom of the sump. I think all the factory did was machine the existing blocks with something like a counter sink bit. The holes are enlarged to a depth of a few mm.

Excuse my terminology!!

Without having the parts in font of me it's hard for me to explain but you get the jist...... Check with Sean Fader.

Adding to this : if you enlarge the oil ways in the block don't forget to use a later model gasket.

Back