• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

Oil Filter? Bosch 3330?

GUZIRDR

Cruisin' Guzzisti
]I picked up my Stelvio last week from its recall and first service done. I rode it home and parked it and noticed some drops of oil on the floor. I rode it again a few days later and stopped to get gas when I noticed that there was oil everywhere. I had a major oil leak. The Dealer came today to pick it up and he doesn't seem like he knows what he's talking about and it's concerning me. He called Piago to ask them but being that it's a long weekend they will be closed till Tuesday. He said he put in a Bosch 3330 oil filter and was not sure if this works with the Bike. (it's a car oil filter) He changed it again with the same filter and I am thinking I might end up with the same problem being that the 1st one he put on was on tight and he did not see why it leaked. Please Help.

There are 2 possible ways to figure out the issue with the oil filter leak.
1. Many dealers/mechanics, but not all like to tighten the oil filters up way too tight. This can break/split the gasket, than you have the leak.
I have been using filters for H-D. 171 by K&N Fram has filters too, but do you trust Fram? At the tracks, I have seen Frams blow out, not a pretty sight. Bosch is a great product. If you don't want to use the K&N filters, cross reference the Bosch to another filter make.

Doug

I know its unlikely, but.... have they checked to make sure the original gasket came off with the filter at first service?

Gigio wrote:
]I picked up my Stelvio last week from its recall and first service done. I rode it home and parked it and noticed some drops of oil on the floor. I rode it again a few days later and stopped to get gas when I noticed that there was oil everywhere. I had a major oil leak. The Dealer came today to pick it up and he doesn't seem like he knows what he's talking about and it's concerning me. He called Piago to ask them but being that it's a long weekend they will be closed till Tuesday. He said he put in a Bosch 3330 oil filter and was not sure if this works with the Bike. (it's a car oil filter) He changed it again with the same filter and I am thinking I might end up with the same problem being that the 1st one he put on was on tight and he did not see why it leaked. Please Help.

A couple of questions?

1.)Why is your dealer not using the Guzzi approved UFI filter? While there are plenty of other filters out there that will fit and do the job in certain markets using a non-approved filter will invalidate your warranty. It is one of the things that never ceases to amaze me that people will seek out a 'Cheaper' or 'More readily available' filter. I know of very few circumstances where a filter change is going to be an urgent *emergency* type replacement. In most cases where an engine has failed to the degree that it has stopped working all together a filter will be the least of your problems and will need changing anyways. As for 'More readily available'? All it takes is a couple of days forethought and you can have everything you need mail-ordered to your door for a service from any numbr of 'Reputable' suppliers. The cost savings over the life of a bike are likely to be in the tens or maybe, at most, hundreds of dollars over 1/2 a million Km or more. If you are so concerned about that sort of saving how the hell can you afford to own, insure and register a big motorbike??

2.) Has your dealer actually got a filter wrench to tighten the filter? You say you think he's a bit clueless. They aren't just doing it up 'Finger Tight' are they? I've seen it done by idiots more times than I care to mention.

It is HIGHLY unlikely that there is some sort of casting defect that is promoting the leak. I also think it highly unlikely that it is the filter itself that is at fault as long as it IS really compatible. My guess is it has just been installed badly and this is leading to the leak. if so? Find another dealer quick-smart and buy yourself a filter tool to check it's tightness.

Pete

Hey guys, thanks for the info. Yeah! it beats me why they would not use what is MG approved. Like you said, they are too cheap most likely. I have already found a new dealer that I will be using from this day forward.

Still worth buying your own filter wrench. I dunno where you are in the world but if you buy a filter and take it to one of the *usual* Autozone/Wottalottacrap Auto/ Repco type places they can match it up or one of the good aftermarket suppliers will sell you one for only a few $. I got my last one from MPH when I was over in Houston for the simple reason that it was dirt cheap, Todd had them in stok and it saved me the hassle of finding one for myself with a prospective saving of maybe a couple of $$'s!!! Life's too short to waste time on such things.

Pete

On another thread a fellow recommends a torque of 20 Nm for the oil filter. When I compared the BMW torque figure of 8 Nm to the procedure of finger tight plus 1/4 turn, to the "recommended" Guzzi procedure of finger tight plus 1/2 turn, the torque figure (20 Nm) appears to be good for the Guzzi application.

john zibell wrote:
On another thread a fellow recommends a torque of 20 Nm for the oil filter. When I compared the BMW torque figure of 8 Nm to the procedure of finger tight plus 1/4 turn, to the "recommended" Guzzi procedure of finger tight plus 1/2 turn, the torque figure (20 Nm) appears to be good for the Guzzi application.

I followed this procedure the other day. It felt right and the filter is not leaking.

Back