• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

Oil leak from valve cover

Russ Rowbotham

Just got it firing!
I have 2014 1400 Cali and have recently replaced the gaskets for the valve covers. I have one that keeps leaking and have tightened down to the point where I have broken off the one of the four screws that secures the cover. This has leaked since I have replaced them about 3 months ago and don’t understand why it continues to leak. Can anyone assist. I have placed an order for a new screw (976591) and will need to now remove the broken thread whilst waiting for a new one. A bike mechanic I am not !

Attachments

• IMG_0024.jpeg
    IMG_0024.jpeg
    127.7 KB · Views: 14
Are you talking about the actual rocker cover rubber ring or the 4 rings under the hold down screws ?
I'd replace all of them myself and make sure your oil level is just between the lines . Good luck !

I have 2014 1400 Cali and have recently replaced the gaskets for the valve covers. I have one that keeps leaking and have tightened down to the point where I have broken off the one of the four screws that secures the cover. This has leaked since I have replaced them about 3 months ago and don’t understand why it continues to leak. Can anyone assist. I have placed an order for a new screw (976591) and will need to now remove the broken thread whilst waiting for a new one. A bike mechanic I am not !
No need to tighten the valve cover bolts with a lot of force. I agree on the oil level - many owners overfill. Try removing the rubber gasket, dry it off and inspect for damage, and reinstall without any oil or sealant on the mating surfaces.

Advice for those who will listen…

You NEVER tighten bolts to stop oil leaks. This is the recipe for disaster, as this gentleman has unfortunately discovered.

Whenever I install new valve cover gaskets, I always clean all mating surfaces with isopropyl alcohol and wipe absolutely dry and clean. I also place the gaskets in the sun for 15 minutes to warm up and increase pliability. Then I install them and set the screws cross pattern finger tight, to where they stop turning. I then cross pattern, tighten them just snug (1/8) of a turn past their initial stopping point.

Overtightening actually deforms the gasket and can induce leaks.

These bolts do not hold the cylinder together. They do not hold the motorcycle together. They merely hold the valve cover on top of the cylinder and they only operate at normal atmospheric pressure to keep the splashing oil, in the top of the cylinder head.

They do not need to be cranked on, ever.

If you continue to experience leaking, remove, clean with alcohol and apply the lightest coating of Hylomar Blue on both sides of the gasket. Reassemble as usual. They will never leak again by using Hylomar Blue and it will easily come apart next time as Hylomar never hardens.

Advice for those who will listen…

You NEVER tighten bolts to stop oil leaks. This is the recipe for disaster, as this gentleman has unfortunately discovered.

Whenever I install new valve cover gaskets, I always clean all mating surfaces with isopropyl alcohol and wipe absolutely dry and clean. I also place the gaskets in the sun for 15 minutes to warm up and increase pliability. Then I install them and set the screws cross pattern finger tight, to where they stop turning. I then cross pattern, tighten them just snug (1/8) of a turn past their initial stopping point.

Overtightening actually deforms the gasket and can induce leaks.

These bolts do not hold the cylinder together. They do not hold the motorcycle together. They merely hold the valve cover on top of the cylinder and they only operate at normal atmospheric pressure to keep the splashing oil, in the top of the cylinder head.

They do not need to be cranked on, ever.

If you continue to experience leaking, remove, clean with alcohol and apply the lightest coating of Hylomar Blue on both sides of the gasket. Reassemble as usual. They will never leak again by using Hylomar Blue and it will easily come apart next time as Hylomar never hardens.

I knew you would say that!

Are you talking about the actual rocker cover rubber ring or the 4 rings under the hold down screws ?
I'd replace all of them myself and make sure your oil level is just between the lines . Good luck !
The right oil quantity is 3,6 liters, no more

If that brings it between the lines with the bike vertical and the dipstick threaded all the way in , then yes , but
I believe mine was about 3 liters with a new oil filter . Peter

The right quantity of oil (with filter change), is 3,6 liters.
The right quantity among max and min sign in the dipstick, is 700 ml.

Back