• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

oil leak ,transmission /final drive?

borgmann

Tuned and Synch'ed
hello all , New member intro.
I bought a 2012Bellagio last month with just under 3000km on the clock out of factory warranty,
have put 1000km on it can smell gear oil after riding and notice drops of gear oil on shed floor .
checked oil levels in transmission and final drive ,levels ok .
fine gear oil trace on back of engine above drain plug.
but it must be weeping from somewhere.
It's a 400km round trip to the dealership I bought it from [not a MG dealer ]
but prefer to do my own repairs,
are there any other Bellagio owners here with similar issues or any Ideas where it could be leaking from.
where should I look for it.

,I have owned a few bikes in my time, mostly trail & adventure types
but I'm really enjoying the Bellagio handling and power feel this one's a keeper.

New member as well.
Have a 2007 Griso with 40,000 miles and notice a small fluid leak (gear oil) near the Carc and Swing arm.
Rear end is full with no leak. Not sure if this could be coming from the rear seal in tranny? Some drips are from
the pegs holding the rear brake cable. Could it be that the gear oil is traveling down into the universal joint to rear end gasket?
Anyone have this issue?

New member as well.
Have a 2007 Griso with 40,000 miles and notice a small fluid leak (gear oil) near the Carc and Swing arm.
Rear end is full with no leak. Not sure if this could be coming from the rear seal in tranny? Some drips are from
the pegs holding the rear brake cable. Could it be that the gear oil is traveling down into the universal joint to rear end gasket?
Anyone have this issue?

Have you seen this? https://www.guzzitech.com/forums/threads/carc-weeping.12786/ Could also be the gearbox vent. Hard to isolate these things. Clean off and apply talcum powder, go for a rice and see where the oil is collecting.

Thank you for the links.
I actually drained the rear drive and the tranny. Filled the tranny only with 500cc of Motul 75w-90. Trying to eliminate one of the fluid suspects. I let her sit overnight to watch for drips from the pegs/clips which hold the rear brake line underneath the Carc. Only had 2 small pea size drips this A.M. Going to let her set a bit longer then fill and run her for a short trip. Hoping it is not the rear tranny seal!

With your last post, it sounds like the oil is coming from the CARC to swing arm joint, or from the clip holes. There is a rubber bellows at the front of the CARC that is held in place by a sheet metal retainer. It is not uncommon for the bellows to leak if not properly sealed. Remove the rear wheel, then only 5 bolts hold the CARC. Remove the CARC and check for leaks from the bellows. If necessary, it is easy to remove the plate, clean the bellows and CARC and re-seal the bellows. It is also possible for the bellows to leak from the input shaft, but that replacement is a little tougher and should be left to your dealer. If the leak is from the gearbox, that will be evident once you pull the CARC. Just shine a like up the swing arm and see if oil is coming from up there.

John,
Thank you so much for your advice. I removed the exhaust, wheel, etc. Then removed the CARC. As soon as I pulled the four bolts from swing arm, old gear fluid came pouring out. I shined the light up towards the rear tranny(gearbox) seal and it look pretty dry. Cleaned out the fluid sitting in the swing arm, which was pretty black and certainly gear fluid. On the CARC, I removed the metal plate that holds the rubber bellow and cleaned it up very well. The rubber bellow looked in very good shape. I reinstalled the metal plate to make sure the rubber bellow was sealing best as I could get it. Reinstalled the CARC to swing arm and filled with 350 cc of Motul 75W-90 gear oil. Will wait overnight to watch for drips at CARC swing arm joint. Hope she doesn't leak!

cleaned oil residue from around back of engine [,breather was spotless.]
went for a spin and did the talcum powder thing ,looks like the gear oil is coming from inside the bell housing.
drip near bottom of opening.
I suspect the front gearbox input shaft seal could be by-passing.
have looked into the inspection plug hole on the r/h side of the bell housing .
poked a finger in to feel for oil but the area in front of the flywheel is clean.
I guess the only way to be sure is to split the bike and replace the seal.

cleaned oil residue from around back of engine [,breather was spotless.]
went for a spin and did the talcum powder thing ,looks like the gear oil is coming from inside the bell housing.
drip near bottom of opening.
I suspect the front gearbox input shaft seal could be by-passing.
have looked into the inspection plug hole on the r/h side of the bell housing .
poked a finger in to feel for oil but the area in front of the flywheel is clean.
I guess the only way to be sure is to split the bike and replace the seal.

If it is oil coming from the gearbox seal it can contaminate the clutch plates. Be prepared to go into the clutch to clean or replace the friction plates.

If it is oil coming from the gearbox seal it can contaminate the clutch plates. Be prepared to go into the clutch to clean or replace the friction plates.
Thanks for the heads up John ,have spoken to the dealer today , and have made arrangements for them to fix it after I come back from a planned 6 day road trip.
I'll monitor the leak and keep an eye on oil levels.
thanks again for your advice.
Johan B.

Last edited:
the latest in the leaky gearbox saga.
I arranged for a tech to replace all seals in the front of the gearbox as well as both clutch plates,
as well as give the pressure plate and intermediate a touch up when the bike had it's 10000km service.
Clocked up 2000km on a 3day alpine run ,still leaking.
The tech happened to come to the area the following weekend [300 km round trip] and took the bike back to his workshop on the back of his ute.
after some further testing it works out there is porosity in the alloy casting on the front of the box.
so it looks like a new case or gearbox might be in order,
worst thing is ,I've got no bike to take advantage of the good riding conditions at the moment .
I feel like an Eagle with its wings clipped.

the latest in the leaky gearbox saga.

worst thing is ,I've got no bike to take advantage of the good riding conditions at the moment .
I feel like an Eagle with its wings clipped.

This is why I have a Honda and a Suzuki in my garage besides the Guzzi. I have a lack of trust in the Guzzi always being ready to ride. My 2007 Norge instiled this in me plus the lead time on parts. I always try to have one bike that may not make my heart race but I can rely on. So far the California 1400 Tour has been good. Minor problems but no failure to go.

I just figure two Guzzi's keeps me covered. Why have a boring back up bike (haven't really needed it yet as such) when you can have two bikes that speak to your soul.
I have not had more issues with my Guzzi's then I have with any other brand. Parts wear out, parts break. But my Guzzi's have never left me stuck.

thanks for the kind thoughts fella's I've had other bikes too ,but like you Michael M the Guzzi ticks all the boxes for me at the moment
and even though it was leaking a bit of oil .it never let me down.
I still clocked up 9000km before the issue of alloy porosity was discovered through a process of elimination .
Like the Idea of a stable of bikes though Rudy.
my favourite Pillion once said " do you want to be married to me ,or have a shed full of bikes"
I replied "you mean I have a choice".
I guess that's why I only have one bike ,a smile on my face and a twinkle in the eye.
Happy cycling guy's

Back