• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

Oil Leaks

Paxo

Cruisin' Guzzisti
Love my V7 Classic but how many times am I going to have to leave it with the dealer to get the oil leaks fixed? It looks like the crankshaft oil seal has gone for the 2nd time and I haven't done 1 k on it yet. Now I remember why I never bought an Italian bike when I depended on bikes for every day transport. When I'm riding it I love it, in fact I think it's the best bike I've had in 15 years, but I just wish the oily stuff would stay inside the engine like it's supposed to. :(

Bad news mate.

First time is down to the factory, if the same fault is still there/has returned I guess it’s either down to a duff replacement part (factory quality control again), poor dealer diagnosis or the quality of the replacement work.

Although its a pain the first fault I can usually live with being the unlucky one. Its not just our Italian friends as its happened to me when a GM dealer misdiagnosed a blocked radiator as a faulty temp sender or gauge and told me to ignore it until a replacement was available .... bang goes the engine .. but when it takes more than one attempt to fix it really grates .. my car came back with the same blocked rad/ problem once they had replaced half the engine.

My Breva 1100 has a dreadful rattle in neutral which I could have got fixed at the first service in 06 but I don’t trust my luck not to cause other problems attempting to fix it (I had no knowledge of the quality of the dealers work) so as it was optional I’ve lived with it.

Are you happy with the the dealer? If not I see you are in Surrey so you should have more choice of dealer within a reasonable distance than most.

Hope you get it fully sorted this time and get to enjoy some extended trouble free miles.

Art

Paxo said:
Love my V7 Classic but how many times am I going to have to leave it with the dealer to get the oil leaks fixed? It looks like the crankshaft oil seal has gone for the 2nd time and I haven't done 1 k on it yet. Now I remember why I never bought an Italian bike when I depended on bikes for every day transport. When I'm riding it I love it, in fact I think it's the best bike I've had in 15 years, but I just wish the oily stuff would stay inside the engine like it's supposed to. :(

I've heard of seals leaking when shops overfill the oil. The reason given is that this happens because the sump level was reduced some years ago and a few shops "haven't caught up." A weak excuse.

You might check the oil levels when you get it back.

When new, I had a minor oil leak. Stopped when I started filling to a reduced level, just below the "max" line. Let me know what happens.

Joe

Well the only good thing to come out of this so far is I'm getting good use of my bus pass and regularly seeing parts of south west London I haven't visited for years! Anyone familiar with that part of London will probably guess who I got my bike from, and I understand they enjoy a good rep with Guzzi fans so I'm hoping for the best. It's disappointing that an engine that has been around for so long can still suffer basic engineering faults that other manufacturers solved years ago. Perhaps MG are having the same problems as the old British bike industry had and using machine tools that are well passed their sell by date? Even after all this aggro I still think this one's a keeper.

Paxo said:
Well the only good thing to come out of this so far is I'm getting good use of my bus pass and regularly seeing parts of south west London I haven't visited for years! Anyone familiar with that part of London will probably guess who I got my bike from, and I understand they enjoy a good rep with Guzzi fans so I'm hoping for the best. It's disappointing that an engine that has been around for so long can still suffer basic engineering faults that other manufacturers solved years ago. Perhaps MG are having the same problems as the old British bike industry had and using machine tools that are well passed their sell by date? Even after all this aggro I still think this one's a keeper.

Given that they've been making more or less the exact same bike underneath the bodywork since 1979 you could be right.

Hopefully it gets fixed this time around.

Been using my breva 750 as a daily commute for over a year and only myself to blame for the one day its been off the road.

Best of luck, I'm sure once its back on the road it will prove a more reliable stead.

PS when I was first looking at a guzzi someone told me to get one with quite a few k's on it to ensure that all probs have been dealt with by the previous owner - not sure what forum I got this info from, but wondered if any on here have heard the same or offered this advice in the past. OR is it just BS

robbie55 said:
Hopefully it gets fixed this time around.

PS when I was first looking at a guzzi someone told me to get one with quite a few k's on it to ensure that all probs have been dealt with by the previous owner - not sure what forum I got this info from, but wondered if any on here have heard the same or offered this advice in the past. OR is it just BS

Robbie

This sort of advice doesn’t just apply to Guzzi or bikes. Most manufacturing faults will be picked up by the first owner.

My last 3 cars have all been new (though that covers 17 years) and all three had initial problems from niggles to replacement axles and blown engines early in their life. If I had sold them when the warranty ran out the second owners would had many 100000s of miles of trouble free motoring. Compared to these my Guzzi has been relatively trouble free (or do I just accept more faults from an Italian bike :p ).

What really irritates me in general is if you get poor quality of support when you have a problem - we need enough well trained real mechanics with access to quick parts delivery who can get you back on the road again quickly with no more pain than necessary.

You are relatively lucky in having Mr Roper close by (in Australian terms) as you couldn’t be further from the factory but because he knows his stuff and seems to get good support from the Aus importer it shows that it doesn’t have to be as painful as it sometimes is when you do need help.

Art

Back