• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

On board computer or dash problem with stepper motor

Griso Guy

Cruisin' Guzzisti
I believe this may be a completely new stepper motor issue.
A very strange thing happened. I put on a Stucchi rear fender license plate eliminator, attached the license plate light & I noticed that the stepper motor was operating & shutting off, every 15 or so seconds. This is with the ignition switch off! Real odd. Wondering if it could be possibly a computer or dash issue or should I put on a resistor? I think I am going to put a resistor in line first off. Any ideas???
Other than that my Griso runs very well. Engine spins up so quick, plugs are burning perfect power is great as is torque. Many people thought it would run like a pig since I done away with the air box, put on 2 K&N air filters, designed a battery box, disconnected the vacuum hoses & plugged the stepper motor vacuum nipples. Routed the head breather hoses into the throttle bodies to burn off the blow by.

Anyway about the problem any input is always welcome!
Doug
Griso Guy

Gday Doug,does the stepper still cycle with the light disconnected and ignition off? You havent pinched a wire or got a connection arse about? It didnt do this beforehand did it? Check your PMs. Cheers Charlie.

Hello Charlie,
Nice speaking with you again. When it started to cycle with ignition off was when I hooked up the Stuuchi license plate & rear fender re-locator. Well, thats when I started to hear it cycle. I will have to look thru all the wiring. I couldn't imagine the LED light for the license plate would interfere with.

Hi Pete,
Would you happen to remember what accessories the owner put on and what did he do to remidie the situation?
Any help is greatly appreciated!
Thanks
Doug

With the ignition still off, try pulling the fuses until you can identify which part of the circuitry is affecting the stepper motor.

I'm guessing you've wired the license plate LEDs incorrectly. Have you identified the tail light circuitry and connected it in there? Check especially the "cold" side of the LEDs, which would normally go to ground (effectively the negative side of the battery). You've possibly managed to connect this to the stepper motor circuit.

KiwiDave
They set it up from Stucchi that there can not be a miss connect. Male to female & female to male so you can't. Thanks for the info.

Brian UK said:
If a fault occurs just after you changed something then invariably that change caused the fault.
Undo what you did and see if the fault goes away.
My next trial & error step.
Thanks
Doug

I just wanted to say, that I re-posted this subject under a different Subject title.
I wasn't certain if this subject caught other eyes that ran across the same problem.

Thanks all

Doug

Dash blank when switched to mode. stepper motor cycles

Here is a different situation with my Griso. I ran through a small series of elimination of an accessory that I had added to conclude that the accessory, a Stucchi rear fender eliminator, license plate re-locator is not a cause.
The issue at hand. The stepper motor was cycling about every 10 seconds with ignition off.
I disconnected the battery to reset the computer parameters, which worked until I fired the engine & ran the bike bike until I got some heat in the heads. The stepper motor started to cycle again in the same manner about every 10 seconds. Disconnected the battery once again for half an hour since I was working on something not related to anything electrical. I wanted to have the on board do a self diagnostic I switched it to mode & the screen is blank. Turn off the ignition switch & the stepper motor starts it's every 10 second cycle.
Any clues???
I honestly believe this is my last Guzzi. :S

Doug

Did you sort this out?

I had a problem with my dash going blank when switched to mode. It was intermittent, so difficult to be sure about the cure, but it seemed to stop happening when I cleaned up the multi-connector on the l/h side between the bars and the main loom.

Back