• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

On the verge

Rapier

Tuned and Synch'ed
I'm on the verge of buying this bike. Sight unseen since I am in Michigan and at risk of someone else taking it first.

http://www.cycletrader.com/dealers/...Guzzi-STELVIO-1200-NTX-118601693#emailSection

Considering they have taken an offer considerably less than the posted price does anyone want to try and talk me out of it.

The back story is I have ridden Kawi ZZR 1200's, 2 of them, 80K miles over 12 years. I want something more touring oriented and don't need stupid fast. Like it, don't need it. I am retiring next year and the road beckons. I despise boxers. Don't want a Concours or FJR or go down any list of 'sport tourers'. I owned a V7 sport many years ago and always thought I would have another Guzzi. I had been holding out for a Norge 8V in the $8k range but isn't happening yet.

They I started to think: adventure. Then my budget started to inflate. Adventure bikes are great touring rigs with huge luggage capacity. I camp a lot and in general can't pack light and I am talking 2, 3 and 4 week jaunts. I have no interest in off road or single tracks but poorly maintained roads are. Tip over a plastic clad touring bike and you've got a mess, not so one of these. 2010 version Multisrada's are around for the money but maintenance a huge issue. Caponord's are interesting and in the money ballpark. I want one but the maintenance with all the electronic gizmo's is a worry. Everyone says the Guzzi is easily the ease of maintenance winner of the class. I haven't had a bike serviced by a dealer since 1981 and they screwed it up.

Well now that I've bored everyone and further convinced myself to go ahead..... Is there any way this doesn't have the roller tappets? Are those the upgraded mirrors? Anything else you can think of which says caution?

Last edited by a moderator:
I just purchased a 2012 Stelvio NTX on consignment from MPH Cycles in Houston Texas. I asked about the tappets and the mechanic looked it up and said they were roller type from the factory.

(Mine had 854 miles - similar to yours. Here she sits yesterday in front of my parent's house somewhere in Texas!)

I am a newbie but assume your later year model would be roller also. I hope some more knowledgeable folks chime in.

Joe Stelvio in Texas

Last edited:
2012 was the hit or miss year. 2013 will certainly have the roller valve tappets. I love my '13. Can't think of a reason to tell you not to buy it. Best of luck with the purchase.

I just purchased a 2012 Stelvio NTX on consignment from MPH Cycles in Houston Texas. I asked about the tappets and the mechanic looked it up and said they were roller type from the factory.

(Mine had 854 miles - similar to yours. Here she sits yesterday in front of my parent's hous somewhere in Texas!)

I am a newbie but assume your later year model would be roller also. I hope some more knowledgeable folks chime in.

JoeView attachment 10955

I see that's a different top case. I guess the stock cases are made by Hepco? What brand is that? I've seen mention dissing either the stock top case or maybe the panniers too. The large luggage capacity is in the end 60% of why I want a big adventure bike. I'm going to have to live with whatever it comes with. I am already stretching my budget.

I see that's a different top case. I guess the stock cases are made by Hepco? What brand is that? I've seen mention dissing either the stock top case or maybe the panniers too. The large luggage capacity is in the end 60% of why I want a big adventure bike. I'm going to have to live with whatever it comes with. I am already stretching my budget.

The top case is a Givi. It came with the bike so I'm not sure of the model.

Stock side cases are made by Trex for MG.

I still haven't jumped. It's a good deal but quite a bit more than my self imposed budget.

What's with the 10W 60 engine oil. I didn't even know it existed. Can you get it in synthetic. Of course without a wet clutch no need for M specific oil.

I still haven't jumped. It's a good deal but quite a bit more than my self imposed budget.

What's with the 10W 60 engine oil. I didn't even know it existed. Can you get it in synthetic. Of course without a wet clutch no need for M specific oil.

AGIP/ENI 10W60 is recommended, but as the manual says, any good 10W60 is OK. It's all synthetic. You only have to change it every 6,250 miles, so it's no problem making sure you have some on hand. If your local shop doesn't stock it or have it at the warehouse, a nice young man in brown shorts in a big brown truck will bring it right to your door and put it in your hand .... !!

Lannis

Yay ... a "should I leap?" thread has morphed into an oil thread! I wanna play. :D

First, good luck to the OP on the buying decision. Balancing appropriate fiscal judgment with (just as appropriate) moto-lust is a wrenching (NPI) process.

Ah ... but oil.

I, too, thought parts is parts and 10/60 is 10/60, so I had taken advantage of a "good deal" on Amazon by buying Liqui Moly 2024 Synthoil Race Tech GT1 10W-60 Motor Oil, https://www.amazon.com/Liqui-Moly-2024-Synthoil-10W-60/dp/B00CPL918E.

Then, this past July, I got a red light and dreaded oil can on my dash while inching along in Brevard traffic trying to find a lunch spot. :eek:

This came after a long, spirited romp on local roads vic. Brevard, N.C. -- i.e., very hot weather on white-knuckling, "scream in your helmet" pavement, and, as noted, in thick traffic.

As a guy whose Norge had suffered from engine seizure and replacement following catastrophic failure from a faulty oil pump years before, I was sick with fear. :sick:

I pulled over immediately and checked the oil. After a few curses and unbecoming girlish screams from burning myself on the hot TLM dipstick :mad:, I found that the oil level was not (especially) low, but that the oil itself -- which had started out in a light honey color -- was, after only about 1500 miles, almost black!

So, I let the sweet beast cool, and restarted. No light or oil can, but I can assure you that I limped my way to Atlanta and a change-out. As I had immediate access to this -- http://www.frsport.com/7100-10W60--..._760954.html?gclid=CP2Ug9z3nc8CFQtkhgodYA4PyQ -- out went the old, and in with the new.

No chemist, I have to assume -- subject to correction by knowledgeable folks here -- that the oil had broken down from several days of riding "as intended," followed by crawling in Brevard traffic, all asking too much of the oil's properties, synthetic 10-60 notwithstanding.

Absent hooting from the smart folks here, from now on, I will stick to "motorcycle" 10W60, and even the patriotic ENI when handy, https://www.amazon.com/Eni-150698SIN-10W-60-Motorcycle-Engine/dp/B006NJVS62. As Lannis notes, that's pretty much all the time, thanks to Mr. Brown and friends. It is, however, checkbook-challenging compared to some other choices.

In that regard -- yes, I am almost done ;) -- I will say, that the Lubro-Moly Synthoil Race Tech GT1 10W-60 Motor Oil, https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002PEB0OO/ref=s9_acsd_hps_bw_c_x_4 looks to be what its brother Liquid-Moly isn't.

Back to Kathi's honey-do list ... :lipssealed:

Best,

Bill

I would avoid any oil that says moly like the plague. Snake oil as far as I am concerned. Any moly is an oxide, a solid.

I, too, thought parts is parts and 10/60 is 10/60, so I had taken advantage of a "good deal" on Amazon by buying Liqui Moly 2024 Synthoil Race Tech GT1 10W-60 Motor Oil, https://www.amazon.com/Liqui-Moly-2024-Synthoil-10W-60/dp/B00CPL918E.

I pulled over immediately and checked the oil. After a few curses and unbecoming girlish screams from burning myself on the hot TLM dipstick :mad:, I found that the oil level was not (especially) low, but that the oil itself -- which had started out in a light honey color -- was, after only about 1500 miles, almost black!

Best,

Bill

Two things -

1) The Stelvio and other 8-valve Guzzi manuals say:

"AGIP RACING 4T 10W-60 Engine oil SAE 10W - 60. As an alternative to the recommended oils, you can also use brand name oils with performance that meets or exceeds the CCMC G-4 A.P.I. SG standards. "

Do you know whether the oil you used met these standards or not?

2) Based on many years of reading Kevin Cameron, as well as my own experience, the "Blackness" of oil comes NOT from any breakdown in its lubricative properties, but from the color of the combustion byproducts absorbed into the oil from the crankcase. As you know, there should not BE many combustion byproducts in the crankcase, since they can only get there by secret and unauthorized paths through the valve guides and cylinder walls. On a "tight" engine, the oil will stay clear and honey colored for 10,000 miles ....

Just for consideration .....

Lannis

If the Bragelina drama isn't enough my drama, the Stelvio purchase is still in the air. I owe it to myself to go see a Mulitstrada Saturday. I do know all the common pluses and minuses. Besides the delay allows the inside of my wallet to remain dark, per usual.

The Stelvio is sold. Not to me. It was a great deal @9100. There will be others if I decide to go with one.

Two things -

1) The Stelvio and other 8-valve Guzzi manuals say:

"AGIP RACING 4T 10W-60 Engine oil SAE 10W - 60. As an alternative to the recommended oils, you can also use brand name oils with performance that meets or exceeds the CCMC G-4 A.P.I. SG standards. "

Do you know whether the oil you used met these standards or not?

2) Based on many years of reading Kevin Cameron, as well as my own experience, the "Blackness" of oil comes NOT from any breakdown in its lubricative properties, but from the color of the combustion byproducts absorbed into the oil from the crankcase. As you know, there should not BE many combustion byproducts in the crankcase, since they can only get there by secret and unauthorized paths through the valve guides and cylinder walls. On a "tight" engine, the oil will stay clear and honey colored for 10,000 miles ....

Just for consideration .....

Lannis

I, too, am Kevin Cameron fan. Kathi dreads the monthly arrival of Cycle World because she knows that means I'll insist on reading passages from his column to her, and I am mystified why she isn't as fascinated and charmed by his prose as I am.

Who else could use the "trumpet crumpet" Alison Balsom -- who leaves me breathless :inlove: -- to explain the workings of the ICE? http://www.cycleworld.com/2015/02/13/ask-kevin-why-all-that-wasted-sound-energy-in-motogp-racing/

Oh, as for the LM specs, yes, Lannis, I think so, as SL includes SG, no? See http://tinyurl.com/LiquiMoly10W60

I'll never use it again.

Bill

Back