• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

One big 'click', no start.

Bob D

Just got it firing!
Hey all, Ive been putting off doing an 'intro' thread for my my NTX (Sophia) cause Ive been too busy riding. I picked her up May 3rd at lunch time and as of this Friday evening I had put on 1437 glorious miles. She has also already been in for her initial service during this time.
Love this bike. :p
Now then......took her out this morning to head to yoga practice, turned the key to 'on', dash powered up, hit the starter button, heard one very loud click, then all the dash lights went out and there was no power to anything else. Totally dead. :?: Turned the key off, checked battery connections and voltage, fuses etc., all looked ok. Turned key back on, dash lights back on, hit the start button, same loud click, dash lights out.
Went thru this process a few times, but had to wait anywhere up to 30 minutes for dash to light up, but eventually she stopped powering up altogether.
In the course of trying to figure out what was going on, I also called MPH; the consensus at the shop was that the battery may have shorted internally, they would dispatch Larry to my house with a new battery (Luckily, I only live 20 miles from MPH).
Larry arrived at my house, new battery installed and voila.....not. :eek:hmy: Same thing with the new battery, no love.
We did a little more 'driveway diagnostics' and its looking like the dash unit may have failed; Larry says this is the first dash failure he has seen, much less heard of. :shock:
Anyway, she'll be getting trucked up to MPH on Monday to get sorted out, just wanting to post this to see if anybody has heard of a similar issue.
(As an aside, Mrs. Bob isnt totally upset Sophia is under the weather, she says now I can play catch-up on my honey-do list. :whistle:

john zibell said:
Bob,

Very interesting (to us) situation. Please keep us informed of how it gets resolved.

Yes, absolutely.
A few 'silver linings' to the situation:
-it happened in my driveway and not 100 miles from nowhere.
-MPH is my dealer. :cool:
- Im heading out of town for at least 3 weeks for the job, so maybe this will be sorted out and ready to go on my return.......fingers crossed on part(s) being available. :blink:

Sounds like a battery going south, or connections to said battery going south.
You had voltage, but no amperage.

The bike is an easy fix!

I'm more concerned about the "honey-do-list".
How the hell do you remedy that once and for all?

Another thing could be the starter and/or starter solenoid. It could be stuck and/or shorting to ground.

GuzziMoto said:
Another thing could be the starter and/or starter solenoid. It could be stuck and/or shorting to ground.

Yes - maybe see if you can bump start it (bypassing the starter solenoid) and see if she runs ok. Bump starting a 600lb bike might be easier said than done :evil:

GuzziMoto said:
............ connections to said battery going south.

Ding ding ding, we have a winner. :cheer: :cheer: :cheer:
Turns out the ground wire under/behind the starter wasnt attached correctly. The bolt to attach the ground lug was cross-threaded from the factory and being that it was cross threaded, it would have felt like it was tight, but the ground lug was never properly bonded.
Bolt hole threads were chased out, ground remade, all is now good. :cool:
I still need to get around to putting up a 'bike intro'. :silly:

Back