• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

only 2 litres of oil in V7 sport 1972

janbey

Just got it firing!
Hello,

I'm new here and already looking for an answer. I can only refill my engine with 2 litres of oil. All resources say 3.5 L of oil. The dipstick is working fine, and with 2 Litres of oil, it is reaching the maximum on the Stick. My Guzzi is an USA version, maybe this explains the difference ? Anyone already had the same issue ?
Thanks in advnce,
jan

What makes you think your dipstick is accurately marked?

I know of no engine Moto Guzzi manufactured that uses only 2L of motor oil.

Given the value of an original V7, I would not run the engine with so little oil.

Hello, thanks for your answer.

The dipstick is the original one.
When I put in more oil, it comes out of the carter ventilation tubes.
It's a strange situation, i know, but it is what it is. Maybe the carter pan is not original ?

thanks,
jan

You are welcome.

However…Something is not correct.

The engine uses 3.5 L of oil. Period.

I suggest you post some pictures of your engine, the dipstick, the vent tubes.

Without visuals, what you are asking is impossible.

Also it would be helpful to get some background and history of this motorcycle to give it some context.

You cannot seriously think that anybody can give you usable information from a 2 sentence post.

Also, I have no idea what you mean by carter pan and carter ventilation tube. Please explain.

Ok, will do. This evening. Thanks. Will add more pictures later.

Attachments

• 120415457_1227108057665806_2397593316731394529_n.jpg
    120415457_1227108057665806_2397593316731394529_n.jpg
    247 KB · Views: 13
Not surprised you are getting blow by with 3.5 liters. The engine is similar to the T and T3. When I had them any more than 2.5 US quarts would cause oil to blow out the vent box. Do make sure the vent box is finctioning properly. Also if you haven't performed a leak down test please do as at its age, the rings may be worn causing excessive crankcase pressure wich will cause what you are experiencing. Also the V7 Sport has the shallow oil pan which can't hold that much. Guzzi is well known to over specify engine oil capacity. Even when Guzzi added a sump spacer with the CA II, 3 US quarts was about all that would work without issue.

Johns spot on here. As the Texas turnip used to say for his 1050 big block engines, "three quarts out, three quarts in". If the sport has a shallower pan it's going to be less.
I did have a 1972 850 Eldorado that had something stick once and spit all three quarts out in 100 miles. That or it didn't like that brand of oil as I had to change in BFE on a trip.

"I know of no engine Moto Guzzi manufactured that uses only 2L of motor oil."

Scott be careful how you answer as currently all small blocks will be spitting oil all over if you stick in the two liters Guzzzi calls for.
I find 1.6 US quarts to be plenty on the 2017 and up and 1.5 on the 2016 and down.

As you wish…

My point was on the bikes made from that time period. The V7 Sport is 1971-1974.

Just because I say I don’t know, doesn’t imply gospel. Only that I don’t know.

You are all convinced that the factory is run by a collection of a moronic idiots.

I do not hold this view.

Every case of overfilling I have ever seen, involved not draining properly or failing to remove and scrape the sump on early Eldorados, Sports, Ambassadors, T5’s, etc. Nothing more.

Full quantities usually assume a virgin block with no oil. Good technique involves shorting this amount and measuring as you go. Running, then rechecking.

I’ll leave you to your own devices.

Last edited:
Hi, thanks for the replies. I already checked vent box and pipes, everything is ok.
Almso tested the compression on both cilinders, both the same.
No oil consuming.
Will send more pictures of the engine.tomorrow
thanks for your help.

Attachments

• 241670920_10221699831657700_5168663166557417752_n.jpg
    241670920_10221699831657700_5168663166557417752_n.jpg
    189.1 KB · Views: 6
Hi, thanks for the replies. I already checked vent box and pipes, everything is ok.
Almso tested the compression on both cilinders, both the same.
No oil consuming.
Will send more pictures of the engine.tomorrow
thanks for your help.
Compression isn't the same as a leak down test. What were your compression readings?

I know, but high compression means piston rings are ok. If I remeber well +13.5 kg, same on both sides.
Engine is running well, on very low idle speed and is fast. Everything is working fine, the only problem is that only 2 litres of oil can be refilled. Will post more photos later.

thanks for your help.

I know, but high compression means piston rings are ok. If I remeber well +13.5 kg, same on both sides.
Engine is running well, on very low idle speed and is fast. Everything is working fine, the only problem is that only 2 litres of oil can be refilled. Will post more photos later.

thanks for your help.
Yes that is high. I have never seen an engine with 192 PSI compression.

John, on some of my race engine builds, with tight tolerance (45-thou) head squish on flow-optimized high-comp pistons, I’d see as high as ~205 psi, but again, race motors.
People who think they know how to assemble an engine have likely wreaked havoc since the inception of internal combustion. ;)

Back