• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

Over rich V7C

vrdw

Just got it firing!
Hi:

I have a 2008 stock V7C with just over 5100mls on the clock. It is running rich, the plugs are sooty black and it is hard to keep going when cold. Once it warms up it is fine and goes all day but the plugs are black! Any ideas most welcome!

Viv

This is an odd problem. Usually they run on the lean side, and the oxygen sensor (Lambda sensor) should keep the mix correct.

An easy check is to use an electronic scan tool to check various functions. A dealer can do this, or anyone that has a Vehicle Diagnostic Scan Tool (VDST) from Techno Research. Do you have access to any of this? If not, we'll work on another angle.

Joe

Joe: Thanks for the feedback, I don't have access to a tester or a dealer (100mls away) so it's a problem.

I will see if the air filter is blocked but that would be unusual? and then see how it runs. All was fine for the first 4600mls but now hard to start without full open throttle and takes a couple of miles to settle down without cutting out, then it is fine all day but the plugs are still sooty black at the end of a long ride so definitely running rich?

Viv

Unless it is grotesquely blocked the system will compensate for reduced air flow.

Without access to some sort of scan tool you'll just end up chasing your tail. Book it in. Ride or tow it to your dealer. Get it fixed. It could be a multitude of individual issues or a combination of several of them. There is going to be no miraculous easy fix achieved by asking the Internet.

Pete is 100% correct. Gone are the days of points/condensor & carbs that we could fiddle & fart with.

I was in auto parts when the first CDI systems came out and then graduated into computers with sensors. Sadly a lot of people paid for a lot of un-needed parts either to a shop who refused to invest in the tools needed for the new technology or by trying to fix it themselves. By listening to friends or "parts people" (who didn't know any more than anybody else) they would replace sensor after sensor until they got frustrated and took it back to the dealer who had the right tools.

Do as John says and at least check the air filter and air intake system and if it is not clogged or collapsed then suck it up and go to the dealer. It only hurts for a little while & you'll be riding again a lot sooner.

Just my opinion & we all know about them.

Trout

I've got to agree with the other posters. It's worth the 100 mile ride to have the scan tool done. It should see the problem right away. Other techniques will just give guesses.

I hate taking my bike to "the shop" but sometimes it's the best route.

Joe

Back