• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

Overfilling gas

dududuckling

Cruisin' Guzzisti
Newbie 101 question here:

At the pump today, I might have filled up 1/4” above the bottom of the filler neck, thinking that once the bike is righted up, the gas level will drop even with the bottom of the filler neck. Bike rode fine and when I got home, parked it leaning on the side stand. Two hours later, there was gas seeping out of the gas cap onto the side of the tank and then disappeared. I suppose that hot gas expands. I have cleaned it all up, and put the side stand on a 2x4, so the bike is more upright. I plan to ride it out a bit in the morning to burn some of the gas in the tank.

Will the gas seep out of the cap again once I ride the bike, or will the level drop faster before it can expand? Am I looking at symptom if clogged evap in near future? First time seeing gas out of gas cap. I can syphon it out, but is it necessary?

Thanks in advanced.

PS: That’s the level after seeping and cleaned up, righted up.

PPS: I have also had the fuel filter replaced, which means removal of the gas tank. But thats 200 miles ago, a couple of fill ups and no issue then. Could any of the lines become pinched?

Attachments

• 739ECA54-B9EC-4051-83E8-BD431E731735.jpeg
    739ECA54-B9EC-4051-83E8-BD431E731735.jpeg
    56.8 KB · Views: 16
Last edited:
I would take it for a ride and burn some of the gas. After that you should wash and wax the tank. The gas running down it will have washed all the wax off and it may appear dull.

Last edited:
Thanks! I wiped it off with the GT-RX cleaner and wet towel, then reapplied some matte wax coating. I did almost 100 miles this morning to burn some of that gas. Seems like everything is good.

EB4B5890 7EF3 435A 8F3D 1C44867E9476

I stop filling as soon as the fuel is up to the vent relief holes in the filler guide so that when I stand the bike upright the level in the tank is a bit below the guide, maybe a quarter to half an inch. That allows plenty of room for expansion.

I stop filling as soon as the fuel is up to the vent relief holes in the filler guide so that when I stand the bike upright the level in the tank is a bit below the guide, maybe a quarter to half an inch. That allows plenty of room for expansion.

Is the vent relief hole, the tiny 1/8” hole on the side of the filler neck, about 1/4” below the gas cap?

I’ll take note next time in the gas station

Last edited:
I meant the two oval cut-out vents in the filler guide—using your photo ...

V7III gas cap filler guide

With the bike on the side stand on level ground, as soon as the fuel touches the bottom edge of those vents (on the left) I stop filling. When I bring the bike up to vertical, the fuel level is between 1/4 and 1/2 inch below the guide's bottom. That's full enough to give proper air space in the tank to accommodate fuel expansion and venting.

Whether I'm giving up a little bit of range or not, I don't know. Filled that way each time, my Low Fuel warning indicator flicks on reliably between 189 and 200 miles, and I've run up to 47 miles on the low fuel trip odometer so far. Filling the tank within 10 miles of the indicator coming on, it takes just about 4 gallons (US) to full.

Last edited:
I meant the two oval cut-out vents in the filler guide—using your photo ...

View attachment 15186

With the bike on the side stand on level ground, as soon as the fuel touches the bottom edge of those vents (on the left) I stop filling. When I bring the bike up to vertical, the fuel level is between 1/4 and 1/2 inch below the guide's bottom. That's full enough to give proper air space in the tank to accommodate fuel expansion and venting.

Whether I'm giving up a little bit of range or not, I don't know. Filled that way each time, my Low Fuel warning indicator flicks on reliably between 189 and 200 miles, and I've run up to 47 miles on the low fuel trip odometer so far. Filling the tank within 10 miles of the indicator coming on, it takes just about 4 gallons (US) to full.

That makes complete sense. I normally fill it to slightly below the vents too (I call it the bottom of the filler neck). Anyway, this time round I made the mistake of filling up 1/4" pass that mark, thinking that when it sits upright, it will be level with the vent.

I've mostly been riding in the city with the occasional going out of town once a week or so. Last I fill was about 3.75 gal at 140 miles (about a week and a half, Santa Barbara is a small city), which gets me around 36 MPG (city mpg). Thanks for your input!

Back