• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

Oxygen Sensor - Costly because of poor service

pkubitz

Tuned and Synch'ed
GT Contributor
I'm really pissed off because of the lousy Guzzi service we get in the U.S. (maybe just Northern California). I took my 2009 Stelvio in for service many times for the stuttering engine, jerky motion. I reported the problem from day one. It should have been fixed under warranty. Now it's in a different shop and they say the problem is the O2 sensor and it requires a newer map. When the f#ck did a new map come out? And why couldn't Good Times Motorsports in Sacramento figure out my sensor was bad and a new map was available? They said they called Moto Guzzi and was told I had the latest map. Now it's going to cost me 2 hours of labor ($250) and $180 for the sensor, not to mention $539 for a 6200 mile tune-up. Over half of that should have been covered under warranty but some shops just don't have a clue. Bastards.

$539 for a 6k service! WOW! :shock:

I am so glad I can wrench my own stuff. Whew.

So sorry to hear you being treated like this.

Call these guys and hopefully Paul is still with them. http://www.automedicsupply.com/index.ph ... height=960 I've purchased Lambda sensors from them in the past when I needed them. Yes they have crossed referenced the correct sensor for the Guzzi but they don't list them on their site. The sensors are all the same, the difference is the connector for the bike's harness.

I wouldn't rule out the possibility of the wrong diagnosis again, despite going to the new and hopefully more reputable place. Is there a chance that the bike is simply still not set up right as far as TPS and throttle body sync go? Only asking because the first dealership you mentioned, for instance, tuned my Griso wrong twice until I talked about it with the head mechanic and pointed out the factory procedure. They also replaced near entire oil delivery system to the heads but the real issue of the leak on my right head cylinder was not fixed and turned out later to be one of the o-rings at the spark plug tube, something I'd researched prior and asked them to check out. Oh, and they did want $600 for the first service... I wanted to have them do it on a principle, having purchased the new bike from them and all, but at that price I just had to laugh. Glad I didn't let them have the bike a second longer, in retrospect.

Any error codes on the dash, under diagnosis menu?

If you ever get to Oakland, I can at least help you check the basic set-up, if you like. I have all the necessary tools and software to reset the TPS.

Try £900.88 (GBP) $1400 near as damn it...

Service, map update, steering haed bearings, rear pads, O2 sensor and an injector. 2009 Stelvio, 16k miles. :eek: :S

windy

Its comforting to know it doesn't matter where u are in the world bad service , overcharging and lack of knowledge abound in the motorcycle trade. Got the name of a man here who works from home and is supposed to be good, know more service centers if i can help it , best of luck to you all.

I would be skeptical of the O2 sensor diagnosis as well. It is a common fault code when something else is wrong, since the reading from the sensor may not be returning the value the ECU expects due to whatever is wrong. It could be the sensor but they don't fail often, especially on low mileage/age bikes. I would be curious how they came to that diagnosis.
There are good mechanics out there, but here are more that aren't. That is not exclusive to Guzzi. My local dealer is okay, but I have one a hour and a half away that is better. I can't imagine them charging me to update the map, especially if the bike was in there for a service.
And that is a big chunk of change for a service. They actually say they spend 4 hours on the bike for the service alone? I would have to see that to believe it.

Forgot to mention, around here it is usually about $80 an hour. $125 an hour seems a bit steep.

I misfire due to a bad spark plug cap may even look like a bad O2 sensor.
And as far as I know, the latest map for a 2009 Stelvio came out in mid 2009.

Take out the ECU send it to Todd, get a reflash and remove the O2 sensor. Bike will run great and you'll have no regrets.
My 2010 ran like crap - I was ready to get rid of it, thanks to Todd - it was inexpensive- great fix and bike runs the way it should from the factory!

I went back and forth with the dealer and Piaggio. Both of them first told me that the problem was completely my responsibility - even though I had complained numerous times while my Stelvio was still under warranty. Todd, thanks for the suggestion to call Piaggio. I did not give up and called a few times. I discussed it with Thierry (pronounce Terry) who is the Service Manager in NYC. It took a couple days but Piaggio and the MG dealership in Elk Grove finally saw my point and told me they will accept the cost for the O2 sensor (part and installation) and the new fuel map. So I'm happy I don't have to pay the additional $400 (approx.). It'll take a couple more days and HOPEFULLY finally have a bike that doesn't ride like a Bronco and make my hands and arms numb.

- makarushka - thanks for the offer. I did not want to pay that much for a tune-up. I can change the plugs and fluids but have no equipment to check/diagnose anything.

- Wayne & GuzziMoto - thanks for adding your input.

- cmsmolka - right on! If I still have the jerking, rough ride, I'm sending the ECU to Todd!

Thanks All. More to follow.

Back