• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

Parting with 2012 Stelvio NTX

canuck1969 said:
So I have to ask...what detracted you from the bike after only one season of riding........ :huh:

Well, there are two reasons of about the same weight. First, we will be moving next May from AB to NB for retirement and one bike is about as much as I can handle to haul. Second, not sure if you had a chance to ride for any extended time the beemers like I had, in my case the 12GS and 12RT. I thought that Stelvio will be the same character bike, it is not. I was literally forcing myself to like it, but I failed, beemers won.

The world would be a pretty boring place if everyone had the same tastes. I've had plenty of BMW's but for me the Guzzis really torques my nuts. :D

:blink:

Attachments

• BMW-RearDriveFAIL.jpg
    BMW-RearDriveFAIL.jpg
    62.5 KB · Views: 858
  • BMW-RearDriveFAIL2.jpg
    BMW-RearDriveFAIL2.jpg
    112.6 KB · Views: 858
Well, read on the Internet, rear drive failures. Two of many posted.

Stevie said:
The world would be a pretty boring place if everyone had the same tastes. I've had plenty of BMW's but for me the Guzzis really torques my nuts. :D

Same here, tho think Luma deserves candor points for answering as he did.

And, as you note, to each, etc.

I actually like beemers in theory, but, given my own "interesting" Guzzi experiences, I have no doubt I would have gotten the BBQ option on a BMW I bought. :woohoo:

Bill

No doubt the BMWGS and the Stelvio feel different. Lots of GS owners love em, others might not get along with them. Nothing wrong with that. The Triumph Explorer, Stelvio, Ducati Multistrada, Tenerre are all nice bikes, Thank goodness they differ so much!

Vivo

GT-Rx said:

Todd,

Not so sure that is correct. Normal rear drive failure is the large bearing in the rear drive. This takes out the seal and causes leakage. In extreme cases it may cause a ring and pinion failure if ignored. Separation of the rear drive from the swing arm is a new one to me. That would require failure of the bearings and pins that hold the rear drive to the swing arm.

those BMW pics are a big BS ( in my opinion , of course.) it's all over the internet as well.......
Anyway , BMW sold a giga millions of motorcycles.....and two "fake" pics don't scare me, and i don't believe unless i can see and touch with my hands ( yes call me "tommaso ")

So the guy who was riding that 1150 R , lost the rear wheel while riding.... he had time to park the bike against the guard-rail , pick up the rear wheel , put the gloves on the motorcycle seat , place the helmet near the right side on the handlebar , and take a picture....ah ha !!bwaaaaaa ahhhh!! that's funny..... :lol:

I can believe a "failure " of the rear drive as leak of something like it, but splitting in half....mmhhmh i don't buy it .

sorry to jack the thread....

Stevie said:

I agree with you 100%. The point is that approaching 67, I do not necessarily want a bike to "torque my nuts". I prefer a gentler treatment to my nuts and other extremities :) .

john zibell said:
GT-Rx said:

Todd,

Not so sure that is correct. Normal rear drive failure is the large bearing in the rear drive. This takes out the seal and causes leakage. In extreme cases it may cause a ring and pinion failure if ignored. Separation of the rear drive from the swing arm is a new one to me. That would require failure of the bearings and pins that hold the rear drive to the swing arm.

Same opinion here. I fully recognize the fact that rear drive failures happen on ALL single swing arm BMW bikes much more often than they should. In fact, that was one of the reasons I bought the NTX...

Luma46 said:
john zibell said:
GT-Rx said:

Todd,

Same opinion here. I fully recognize the fact that rear drive failures happen on ALL single swing arm BMW bikes much more often than they should. In fact, that was one of the reasons I bought the NTX...

failure is one thing... splitting in half in another story. Is there anyone here who believe those pics are real ? any proof...?

ARVENO said:
failure is one thing... splitting in half in another story. Is there anyone here who believe those pics are real ? any proof...?
The GS is a legit failure while riding. Documented at the time it happened, and I saved the photo from the post (perhaps ADV Rider). The R/S/Boxster (or whatever model it is) I cannot confirm. If you do a search on BMW rear drive failures, you'll find boat-loads of info.

ARVENO said:

From what I understand it is real, but not exactly an issue. A few failures happen after seriously rough treatment or out right abuse of some form.

I have to believe that the CARC design would be stronger in that area though.

What always bothered me about the beemer driveline failures wasn't so much that they failed, but that BMW acts as though it never happens. If you don't like it, then you just aren't BMW material.

GT-Rx said:
ARVENO said:
The GS is a legit failure while riding. Documented at the time it happened, and I saved the photo from the post (perhaps ADV Rider). The R/S/Boxster (or whatever model it is) I cannot confirm. If you do a search on BMW rear drive failures, you'll find boat-loads of info.

Todd , I did some search and i'm more confused than before.... read a bunch of different "opinion " .
i saw those pics on AD rider as well , I would like to hear from someone who really experienced that failure on his own bike, but did not find it.
I assume that BMW will be sued for such a failure , but did not find anything either .... i can imagine riding a bike around 70 or maybe more mph and loose the rear wheel ?? the rider can be seriously injured .(even risk his own life ).
But did not find /heard any article reporting such a "incident " ( glad about it )
For these reason i am a bit skeptical about it.... that's all . :)

Pulled from ADV Rider:
After over 145 individual complaints filed between April 2001 and August 2011, the NHSTA has finally opened its first official investigation into the failure of crown gear bearings on BMW models equipped with the Paralever style final drive. NHSTA investigation DP12001 opened 1/20/12 is centered on 1999-2005 K1200LTs for now. But, if the findings are what we all believe they will be, the scope of the investigation should be expanded. I found the only way to get NHSTA to listen and focus was to pepper its director, David Strickland, with repeat letters as well as inquiries from WA Senator Patty Murray who chairs the subcommittee over funding for the NHSTA. If you have had a final drive failure on your Paralever equipped BMW, and have NOT already reported it to the NHSTA, I urge you do it now.

You will need your VIN, (est.) date of failure and mileage. State your model as well. While they should be able to identify from VIN, their data was wrong 50% of the time. Specify if gear oil leaked.
http://www.safercar.org or call (888) 327-4236 or mail to:

NHSTA
Office of Defects Investigation (NVS-210)
West Building
1200 New Jersey Ave SE
Washington DC 20590

In your complaint, select "Power Train" as the component and reference that you have had the same failure as described in ODI No. 10439549, and currently being investigated under Campaign DP12001.

Send an email to your Congressman and US Senator to follow up on your behalf as well.

GT-Rx said:
Pulled from ADV Rider:
After over 145 individual complaints filed between April 2001 and August 2011, the NHSTA has finally opened its first official investigation into the failure of crown gear bearings on BMW models equipped with the Paralever style final drive. NHSTA investigation DP12001 opened 1/20/12 is centered on 1999-2005 K1200LTs for now. But, if the findings are what we all believe they will be, the scope of the investigation should be expanded. I found the only way to get NHSTA to listen and focus was to pepper its director, David Strickland, with repeat letters as well as inquiries from WA Senator Patty Murray who chairs the subcommittee over funding for the NHSTA. If you have had a final drive failure on your Paralever equipped BMW, and have NOT already reported it to the NHSTA, I urge you do it now.

You will need your VIN, (est.) date of failure and mileage. State your model as well. While they should be able to identify from VIN, their data was wrong 50% of the time. Specify if gear oil leaked.
http://www.safercar.org or call (888) 327-4236 or mail to:

NHSTA
Office of Defects Investigation (NVS-210)
West Building
1200 New Jersey Ave SE
Washington DC 20590

In your complaint, select "Power Train" as the component and reference that you have had the same failure as described in ODI No. 10439549, and currently being investigated under Campaign DP12001.

Send an email to your Congressman and US Senator to follow up on your behalf as well.

:shock: :shock: I am speechless.... Todd , thanks for posting it , learning something new every day.

Marco..

As I recall reading, at the last Iron Butt Rally an alarming number of BMWs failed to finish due to mechanical problems. Many of those were final drive failures.

Back