• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

Penske Shock Set Up

Allan

Tuned and Synch'ed
I now have been about a 1,000 miles on my Penske Model 8983 (Compression + Rebound). It is probably the single biggest improvement made to my '08 1200 Sport. Living in Colorado 90% of my riding is in the mountains and canyons - the sides of the tires wear thin a lot sooner then the center. The roads here aren't the best; frost-heaves, crack sealer, loose stones and gravel - a well set-up suspension is paramount to peace of mind. I no longer think about how the motorbike is going to react when it is on it's side and I'm tracking through some rough pavement. I did very little adjusting from how it was delivered. It was set up well for my weight and riding habits. The one thing that is an absolute must - the ride height needs to be raised anywhere from 8 - 12mm. Prior to this adjustment the bike wanted to run wide exiting corners and it was a bit of work initiating the corner. I started with 1/4 inch (from the yoke to where the threaded adjustment enters the shock body) and kept raising the rear until I was little bit over 1/2 inch. I ended up with 10mm. Forget the Hyper-Pro shock spring replacement; I had this and it doesn't compare.

Thanks for the feedback Allan as this is an upgrade I'm considering. How easy is it to adjust preload when you want to ride two up? Have you made any changes to your front end set up as a result of the rear shock installation? TIA

John, hopefully Allan will reply, if not, email him direct. To answer the first question, the single lock ring has a small nylon-tipped allen set screw that holds it in place. Loosen and turn the ring with the angled tool shown below. It is very easy. Order details here; https://www.guzzitech.com/store/PenskeShocks.html

Penske8983.jpg

JohninVT said:
Thanks for the feedback Allan as this is an upgrade I'm considering. How easy is it to adjust preload when you want to ride two up? Have you made any changes to your front end set up as a result of the rear shock installation? TIA

John - As Todd depicts in the photo, there is a tool for the 'preload' adjustment. This can be done quite easily by reaching in above the rear tire and rotating the ring at the top of the shock. It's a slow process as you move the collar a quarter turn at a time. I put a little dab of red paint on the collar so I don't lose track of where I am. I know I ended up moving my preload less then a turn from how it was shipped. I ended up with 28.7mm of sag. I am using the HyperPro fork kit. This is a (fairly) inexpensive route to go and my feeling is that the fork needs this 'kit.' Oh yeah, I used black zip-ties to hold the reservoir in place - looks better then the steel bands.

Back