• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

Performance Improvement with "Booster Plug"

kingfisher7697

Just got it firing!
Purchased a 2008 Cal. Vintage about a month ago and just completed my first full "Service/Tune-up. I do my own wrenching on my toys. I do not consider myself A1 Tech. But I do understand the first law of Mechanical Engineering - Left to loosen - Right to tighten.

I am not sure if the bike was set-up to run "super lean" at the factory or in order to meet EU/US emission control regs? However, this bike was running on a very lean fuel/air mix as indicated by the ashy apperance on the spark plugs. This 1100 CC model has two plugs per piston. Also, the intermitant backfiring when downshifting or rolling off the throttle also is a good indication the engine is starving for more fuel. The bike's throttle response was "Jerky" and shifting was "loud" and engine braking was severe. No wonder the guy sold her in less than a year of ownership. This bike's engine performance was crap!

The Fix: In order to access the bikes air/fuel filters and be able to replace the "inside" spark plugs the fuel tank must be removed. With the fuel tank removed I also gained access to the "air temp" sensor. And the crazy Fuel Tank Gas Vapor recovery system. Also removed and and cleaned the fuel injectors - My first thought about the lean fuel mix was maybe the injectors were dirty - but that was not the case - they both misted fuel just fine when tested before cleaning. After, completing a base line engine tune-up the bike's engine performance was still off - So off with the tank yet again...

It is not a simple task to get more fuel into a modern motorcycle engine due to the ECU- but it can be done. Most fixes require fuel management software and a follow-up on a Dyno-tester to insure the mapping improved performance. However, the impute from the Air Temp Sensor can be fooled into thinking it is colder outside than it actually is - thus tricking the bike's ECU to add more fuel. The Key is to add more fuel across the RPM range.

I had done some investigating and came across a product that claimed to address my "Lean" running cycle called BOOSTER PLUG. Just under $170.00 verus around $400 to $500 for a POWER COMMANDER type device. I installed the Booster Plug and the rest is history. First, the idle went from a choppy 600 Rpm's to a Smooth 900 Rpm's - result - did not have feather the clutch as much during starts from a dead stop. Second, No more Jerky throttle response, again the motor Smoothed Out - also the loud clanking from shifting was also reduced. Third, and most important the backfiring stopped! Even the bikes vibrations seems to fall off at all speeds. The bike is now running right and tight!!!

Basically, the Booster Plug will cause the ECU to add 6% more fuel across the RPM range. Ya can get all their data from Booster Plugs Web Page. ( Sorry, I am an Old Guy so I don't know how to do a link. ) No, I am not a spoke person for BP nor do I purchase memory improvement/or veggie pills from FOX News. But, I'll be damm - the Booster Plug cured ALL my bikes engine performance issues.

Please advise if you have any questions or concerns.

R. Wysocki

That device does noting but spoof your air temperature sensor readings in order to cause your fuel injection map to read values in another location on the map than what the real conditions are.

I have the same motorcycle. Mine does none of the things you say yours is doing because it is setup correctly both mechanically and fuel injection wise.

I have never seen any reliable and objective data to support the Booster Plug being effective. I bought one for my Stelvio to test and it failed miserably. This product relies on anecdotal evidence only. The purchasers “feel” that things are better. It’s not objective at all.

The PC-V and Autotune 300 I purchased from the STORE here, has worked flawlessly for 10 years and I have verified it’s function of actually dynamically managing fuel management with my gas analyzer both statically on my workshop lift and also dynamically under way on the road with a tailpipe snorkel gas analyzer. No it wasn’t cheap but I am positive that I got what I paid for.

Also, that first law of yours is missing the critical component of “when you are oriented such that you are looking directly at the face of a bolt or screw”. I’ve repaired many stripped and broken bolts that the person did not understand this critical point.
I do understand the first law of Mechanical Engineering - Left to loosen - Right to tighten.

Last edited:
John, could you be more detail specific on how my money will be wasted? Facts may help me to see my error?

Just completed some slow speed driving - motor is much more responsive - huge improvement over the Pre Booster Plug performance. Jerky on and off the throttle at slow speed was a problem pre-BP. Post-BP the jerky behavior at very low speeds is gone. Very smooth rolling on/off the gas @ very low speed.

My 2008 Cal Vintage suffered from lack of fuel thoughout the RPM range pre -BP. Thus causing problems outline.

My 2008 Cal Vintage no longer suffers from lack of fuel thoughout the RPM range. Thus correcting said problems

I live on a fixed income - Pre retirement I might have paid $500 bucks for a more precise fuel managment system and spent an extra $400 to verify fueling program results on a dyno. I am also confident the system you reference would do a more precise job than the BP.

Now, I just happy to find a fix for less than $170 that works based on my specific results as noted.

The best cleaner/polish for a Motorcycle: SC Johnson "Lemon Pledge enhancing polish". Does the best job ever at a fraction of the cost of other cleaners/polish. My brother is a MC cop in CO. Thats all they use to "dry clean" their bikes. Works on chrome, paint and even clear plastic face shields. Must only use the POLISH formula. And it will also make any old biker smell better!

Again, thanks for the feedback

R. Wysocki

If you feel that this device made your motorcycle better, then I say "Good for you!". Yes, it's a Band-Aid type device, and it can give some people the results they are seeking and others, not so much.

I realize that you just got here, and wanted to share your excitement and satisfaction but you didn't realize that this exact topic has been discussed in detail. There are pages and pages about this Booster Plug device.

SEARCH is your friend here.

Please, you need to read those three screens at the top, above the 3 dots. They contain valuable information that Todd (GTM) wants visitors to know.

I'm glad you love your California Vintage now. I love mine too. I just wrote about it again over the last few days. It is truly a wonderful motorcycle.

Also, I've never heard about your "Lemon Pledge enhancing polish" trick. Good to know. I think I will try it. Thank you.

Welcome to GuzziTech and Enjoy your California!

https://www.guzzitech.com/forums/threads/the-joys-of-moto-guzzi….22860/

Scott, thanks for the feedback. And yes, i need to use the search function more.

I come from the boating world. Just got back into riding a few years ago. I have to say; you can love a boat but not a Motorcycle. A boat is like a really cool/good looking girl. A motorcycle is like the "bad" neighbor kid your mother just knew was trouble. And she was right - hard to love...

The 08 Vintage is my second bike in less than 2 years. I sometime think - I enjoy wrenching more than riding. I had an 07 Road King - nice bike, did a ton of updates and took her out to western MT last year - sold her last Dec. I needed a lighter ride. But damn, HD got that touring frame near, Ok it is perfect.

I have always liked Guzzi's - And if I am ever going to be as cool as Dean Martin, the Vintage in black is a good place to start.

Yes the Lemon pledge polish works! The best bug remover ever. Spray it on - let sit for a few minutes - clean with micro fiber cloth. Even works on FL love-bugs. Just wait to see what it does for paint and chrome. I even use it to clean glass and clean/polish my helmet. Works on everything.

Again thanks

Scott, thanks for the feedback. And yes, i need to use the search function more.

I come from the boating world. Just got back into riding a few years ago. I have to say; you can love a boat but not a Motorcycle. A boat is like a really cool/good looking girl. A motorcycle is like the "bad" neighbor kid your mother just knew was trouble. And she was right - hard to love...
B.O.A.T. ( Break Out Another Thousand $$ ). I don't miss any of my boats, I do miss making the crossings from Ft Laud to Bimini to go fishing/diving for the weekend. Two happiest days of a boater life is the day he buys a boat and the day he sells it!! Now with that being said, I'm pretty sure I will buy another one in the future!

Ouch Gentlemen!

I love my motorcycles, and I love my boat. Truly. :D

I will not part with any of them until I'm dead. 🤞 👍 👌

I played Booster Plug Lotto when I was active with the Royal Enfield 650 crowd. The BP was very highly touted by a few guys who seemed on top of tech matters. Being a geezer I'd long heard and read claims of magic bullets from back in the Cenozoic period and I'd wasted time and dollars on more than a few.

A fellow Enfield rider gave me a Booster Plug for free after he'd switched to a Power Commander or some such gizmo. I tried the BP for a couple of thousand miles and never noticed any improvement in any respect and I'm pretty picky about good throttle response. i passed the unit on to a fellow who can't stop raving about the "extra performance."

Go figure.

I played Booster Plug Lotto when I was active with the Royal Enfield 650 crowd. The BP was very highly touted by a few guys who seemed on top of tech matters. Being a geezer I'd long heard and read claims of magic bullets from back in the Cenozoic period and I'd wasted time and dollars on more than a few.

A fellow Enfield rider gave me a Booster Plug for free after he'd switched to a Power Commander or some such gizmo. I tried the BP for a couple of thousand miles and never noticed any improvement in any respect and I'm pretty picky about good throttle response. i passed the unit on to a fellow who can't stop raving about the "extra performance."

Go figure.

This was my exact experience with the one I bought for my Stelvio NTX. :p

I have that Power Commander gizmo with an Autotune 300 from GuzziTech. IT WORKS!

My Booster Plug is for sale. Cheaper than a new one and only used for about 3 days. Perfect condition. PM me. :D

Guys, I also played the BP lotto - only time/miles will tell if my solution was correct?

Back in the day, a motor's spark plugs tell the story of combustion performance. Even today - Top Motor Techs save spark plugs for review as examples of past engine performance.

Observation: Guzzi was running lean - very, very lean. ( note: observation based on spark plug facts - not feelings)

Solution: Increased fuel mix

Observation: Guzzi is now running Sooooo much better - my bum can "feel" the improvement!

I will pull the plugs after 200 miles of "normal riding" and make further tuning adjustments as needed.

Question: Does the Power Commander/ Auto Tune 300 re-program the bike's ECU? Or are the device(s) installed and left connected to the ECU during normal riding?

It's got me thinking - would BP/PC and AT type devices also work for outboard motors? Are they even sold to the boating market? Yamaha makes both boat motors and motorcycles. Uhhhh?

Please advise

thanks

R. Wysocki

Outboards are water cooled and are likely not tuned too lean to begin with.
The PC and AT300 are permanently connected to the bike and make constant corrections to the A/F mixture on each cylinder individually through the entire RPM range. They use wide band O2 sensors for feedback. Your bike will run like a dream.

The PC-V and Autotune setup, developed at great expense and effort by Todd Eagan, (GTM) the owner of this site and GT MotoCycles, and sold in the STORE tab above, works fantastic. I have it in my Stelvio NTX.

It makes multiple analysis and pulse width modifications to the fuel injection system based upon exhaust gas analysis from the improved O2 wide band sensor that comes with the full Monty setup.

Money very well spent indeed.

Question: Does the Power Commander/ Auto Tune 300 re-program the bike's ECU? Or are the device(s) installed and left connected to the ECU during normal riding?
These devices do not, however our flash tool is required to allow these devices to be connected and utilized. It is all VERY well covered in the Fueling section of this site, and linked from the purchase page;

Thanks for all you feedback, and your Web page has/is helping enormously with my understanding of Guzzi brand.

I will save up for the proper Fuel/Air device(s).

Just as Info... 200 mile spark plug inspection results with BP installed: All four plugs look perfect; clean white stripe across the "shoulder" of the ground electrode. No "ashy" build up on the Insulator. No carbon build up on the center electrode or outer circle. Will inspect again 1500 miles. I tried to take photos of the plugs but my I-phone would not focus that close?

Note* Only burn 90 Octane Ethanol Free Fuel while ridding close to home. Lots of places sell ethanol free fuels in and around Florence, SC. Rare to be able to find 90 Octane, as recommended in the Guzzi owners manual, but a Bucee's opened on I-95 and they sell 90 octane ethanol free fuel. Perfect timing!

Note* Disabled the fuel vapor recovery system during tune-up phase. I doubt it's removal had any positive impact with performance?

Conclusion: Spark plugs cannot tell a lie - My Guzzi is now running much, much better due to the increase in fuel. I can "feel" the improvement(s) though my butt during a ride. Never underestimate the human rear end for being on target with performance improvements or issues. Just ask any professional driver.

Please advise if you have any questions or concerns

R. Wysocki

Thanks for all you feedback, and your Web page has/is helping enormously with my understanding of Guzzi brand.
I will save up for the proper Fuel/Air device(s).
I can "feel" the improvement(s) though my butt during a ride. Never underestimate the human rear end for being on target with performance improvements or issues. Just ask any professional driver.
Welcome on the first part above, and hope you do.
I'm a Pro rider, tuner and life-long wrench... my abbreviated resume HERE if you care to read it.
Tuning with spark plugs isn't the best with injection, but you are correct in that it gives a broad-brush picture.
I learned years ago in Racing that what your "butt dyno" tells you most often is opposite what you think. Only real AFR & Dyno graphs can show you the evidence. Facts not opinion.
Look forward to helping you get it fueled correctly with a proper ECU flash via our Flash Tool below when ready;

I’m a new Norge 2012 owner with 72,600 kms on it, 2300 are my introduction period so far. I’ve never owned a Guzzi (been my dream list bike), so not sure what ‘the best tuned feel’ should be. Thankfully the engine number stamp is after the roller-tappets were used (had no idea about that issue before buying).

So I’d like to make it the best engine run I can. Have considered a BP, and had good results on my VStrom650XA and a TU250X I caféd for my wife; less low rpm chug and smother top end.

But, have read here now and Raven's also suggested the PC 300. Question: I need to buy both the ECU Tool along with the PowerCommander 300 device and one is used to set up the other? Bonehead question complete.

Just changed Norge's plugs, old ones looked like this (no idea how long they’ve been in, I’m fourth owner). And, now I also found out about the inner plugs… change them after the season, which sure sounds like a friggy operation…

I’ll search and read your section on fuelling. Also searching for a description of what properly running Norge 8v's should sound/feel like (my nearest Guzzi specific service is 8 hrs away in Montreal).

So far I love this bike. Rode a Concours1000 for 14yrs, and a big sport-tourer feels pretty great again.
D0F692D6 0DAF 40AA A603 FA24C4C33F42

Last edited:
I’ve had good results with a BP added to a VStrom650XA and a TU250X I caféd for my wife. My results were less low rpm chug and a smother top end.

I’m a new Norge 2012 owner with 72,600 kms on it, 2300 of which are my introduction period on my bike so far. I’ve never owned a Guzzi before so I’m not sure what ‘the best tuned feel’ should be. Thankfully the engine number stamp is after the roller-tappets were used by MG (had no idea about that issue before buying!).

So I’d like to make it the best engine run I can. Have considered a BP. But have read a little bit and Raven has also suggested the PC 300 here. Question: I need to buy both the ECU Tool along with the PowerCommander 300 device and one is used to set up the other? Bonehead question complete.

Just changed the plugs, used the CREK8… the old ones looked like this (no idea how long they’ve been in, I’m the fourth owner). And, now I also found out about the inner plugs… change them after the season, which sure sounds like a friggy operation…

I’ll read your section on fueling. Also searching for some description of what a properly running Norge 8v should sound and feel like. (and nearest Guzzi specific service is 8 hrs away in Montreal).

So far I love this bike. Rode a Concours1000 for 14yrs and a big sport-tourer feels pretty great again.
View attachment 26920
Best to ask this question using the Contact tab in the Store. However, GTM fueling is well covered on this forum. Also there is no inner plug on the 8 valve engine only the 2 valves per cylinder.

Last edited:
Thank you... no inner plugs is a relief! My sparkplugs item intended to go along with the originator's describing his own. Probably best for me as a new guy to chill, observe and not comment quite yet. Cheers

Last edited:
Guzzooks,

I too thought a "Forum" was the place to post questions and observations. And, hopefully folks with a common interest will provide feedback. I should have spent more time studying the rules.

Removed the saddle bags and hardware - this bike will spend more time as a cruiser than a bagger. Kinda like giving the Guzzi Cali Vintage a Mullet Cut: Ready for business in the front, and showing a hole-lotta-wheel in the back.

Attachments

• tempImagetW9ZYh.png
    tempImagetW9ZYh.png
    1.2 MB · Views: 11
Back