• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

Piaggio Group aka Moto Guzzi USA

GuzziLVR

Just got it firing!
I wrote a letter to Piaggio Group and this is the response... My letter follows the response.
The last sentence of this response throws me a bit..."Support for those of us Americans that ride the best motorcycle in the world." in light of my request. I was not having a good week, and maybe just maybe I was over the top. Your call...

Dear PHILLIPS WILLIAM,

Thank you for contacting Piaggio Group Americas, Inc.

We are happy to note your interest in the Guzzi brand. Unfortunately we cannot address your request. We have a warehouse here in the US and we would recommend you to contact any of the authorized Moto Guzzi dealers listed on our website http://www.motoguzzi-us.com and also check with two of the most experienced/reliable Moto Guzzi dealers we have here in the US in order to get a straight answer to your technicals inquiries;

-Curtis from Harper Moto Guzzi in Missouri http://www.harpermotoguzzi.com at 800-752-9435

- -Dave from Moto International http://www.motointernational.com at 206-297-3822 ( Tech Line from 4-5PM West Coast)

Best Regards,

Thierry Customercare

Support for those of us Americans that ride the best motorcycle in the world.

This is MY letter to Moto Guzzi USA after a frustrating search for information
I would like your company to make service manuals and wiring diagrams available online through Guzzitech, or Wildguzzi sites.

There are many of us Guzzi owners who are not close to official dealer sites and must wrench on our own. What is the threat to anyone in the business? It would be a service to keep your marques on the road in many states that do not have dealerships, or access to parts.

Support of Guzzi owners and availability of OEM company parts is as difficult as finding parts for a diesel Peugeot in America.

Please put the manuals and electrical schematics online for free for those of us who ride with pride on a Guzzi.

Make it easier to get OEM parts without huge overhead. Accommodate the realities of the market as it really is in America. Please.

If you want to check the lack of meeting my needs, try getting a large windscreen with mounting brackets for a 1998 California... or a wiring diagram for a 1990 Mille...

Thank you,

Sincerely:

Bill Phillips a.k.a. GuzziLVR

PO BOX 1201

Lewistown, MT 59457-1201

maddog1@midrivers.com

Ummmm? A 1998 model and a 1990 model? What sort of a response would you have expected to get from say?? Ford or Toyota?

I think you'll find that most wiring diagrams are available on Greg Bender's site. Windshield mounting bracket may or may not still be available but a call to either of the firms suggested will getyou an answer.

When dealing with older machines. especially those over ten years old, it is generally accepted that you'll have to be a lot more self-sufficient in terms of sourcing both information and parts as well as service. Is this a 'Good Thiing'? No, probably not, but it IS the way the world works nowadays for better r worse and we all have to get used to it.

Pete

Bill, I've only been at this (Guzzi) game for ~12 years, and when I came into it, I heard stories that went back to the 70's that told the same story. The disconnect between Italy and the US is/has been downright abysmal. To make things worse, when Aprilia (now Piaggio) came into play things seemed to have went downhill (as to what you refer) even further. True passionate purveyors of the brand have been crossed off the list in favor of branded showrooms, without much care of the true wrenches... some of which is just a downright sad shame. If the bikes weren't so good when right, they'd certainly have folded ions ago.

I've had hope over the last decade, but each new (management) change only seems to worsen common sense decisions. Pete (above) is one of the only non-dealer authorized service centers in the World (that I am aware of). Piaggio US has had dozens of opportunities to enlist well qualified techs in the U.S., and instead decided that the boutiques are most important. Many far capable/passionate people have been shunned.

I've spent hundreds of hours (for free) fixing bikes from the local boutiques with not even a thanks, but often threats against what I do. Just a horrible situation in which no one seems to want to learn. Still I/we soldier ahead despite it.

Perhaps one day someone will be in charge that gets it, but my hopes have been heavily tarnished.
Websites like mine here seem to be a bond to keep things moving forward... and not only do I not get even a shot to help even further, but I usually get threatening emails and such against it. One might think that a website that gives over a half-million free hits to a tiny manufacturer would open doors to things such as (perhaps) a new bike to test in a timely fashion (which I've done several over the years that resulted in substantial sales), or perhaps access to other things that would be beneficial to buyers that Piaggio US can't do on their own here, but no. Ahhh, I digress... I'll keep trying to move forward despite many around me who try to drag me down. If nothing else, the founders, engineers and designers from Mandello should be proud of their mechanical visions that they can still produce such wonderful machines.

Thanks to all here that continue to support the site, and thanks for reading my vent.
p.s. We host Carl Allison's wiring diagrams (which he has done for free) also on this site, so I appreciate keeping folks local here instead of links away from this site.
p.s.s. There is only a small percentage of "dealers" here in the U.S. that are of real help when serious situations arise. Guzzi's are a ultra-tough business to be in. Make sure you support the good dealers every chance you have.

Todd: I don't know exactly how he manages, but if someone like Tor Sagen can be at each and every Guzzi press event, you surely ought to be able too. But maybe it's just that your "exclusivity" (and brand knowledge ;) ) scares the Piaggio reps :roll:

GT-Rx said:
Pete (above) is one of the only non-dealer authorized service centers in the World (that I am aware of). Piaggio US has had dozens of opportunities to enlist well qualified techs in the U.S., and instead decided that the boutiques are most important. Many passionate people have been shunned.

It's a bit different here in Oz. You can be a 'Service agent' which means yuo do everything a dealer is supposed to except sell bikes. It's actually a bit of a pain in the arse sometimes as I make no money on the sale of the machines but then when things go wrong that the 'Dealer' can't fix I, (Or people like Dave Ward.) end up having to deal with pissed off customers and do the warranty work for peanuts. My advice is, "Be polite or piss off." It's no skin off my nose if someone's bike runs like a shitter but if you shout at me or treat me like some sort of lower-order underling that's exactly how it will stay! :D

I've spent hundreds of hours (for free) fixing bikes from the local boutiques with not even a thanks, but often threats against what I do. Just a horrible situation in which no one seems to want to learn. Still I/we soldier ahead despite it.

Bloody annoying innit?

p.s. We host Carl Allison's wiring diagrams (which he has done for free) also on this site, so I appreciate keeping folks local here instead of links away from this site.

Apologies Todd. I hadn't realized Carl's schematics were up here.

.s.s. There is only a small percentage of "dealers" here in the U.S. that are of real help when serious situations arise. Guzzi's are a ultra-tough business to be in. Make sure you support the good dealers every chance you have.

Ain't that the truth.

Pete

We're probably lucky that MGNA/Aprillia/Piagio/whoever's next turn a blind eye to the schematics. They could easily ask that they be removed - even though I've carefully watermarked them as property of Moto Guzzi.

I really appreciate the candor. I will say that at times I get frustrated with lack of service, astronomical part prices, lack of business sense, the downright refusal to share information when needed by "service" department types, with my "drive through window, I want it NOW" Yankee mentality.

But my love of Guzzi came when I went to work as a salesman for a Moto Guzzi / BMW dealership in 1971. The chance to ride an Ambassador and compare to the BMW line and the Harley's I had ridden, put me in the Guzzi corner then, and the Guzzi corner now.

I am in love with my resurected 98 Cali and can hear that 74 850T begging to be restored. The frustration of finding parts, and manuals from the "official" sources was overwhelming to say the least, but GuzziTech brought me up to speed in no time. Thanks Guzzistas!

I wrote the letter to Piaggio USA to attempt to open a dialogue and maybe give them a chance to do business and actually provide some service from their Customer Service department. I will keep on keeping on...

I am humbled by GT-RX Todd's efforts to help in spite of the reality. I stand with you and all Guzzistas. Keep the faith because you have rekindled the passion for my Guzzi ownership and putting my own hands into the throbbing hearts of my Guzzis.

You should know that I had purchased a new Harley every two years since 1994 (mainly because the resale value stayed so high and the other Harley riders I associated with) and until my cancer mess took me off bikes in 2004. I have NEVER had the experience of brotherhood and joy of a bike until this site and those Guzzi cast- offs I found discarded in Montana. Thanks guys...I am in debt to you all.

Bill (GuzziLvr)

You know, the situation is hardly any better over here, sadly. Piaggio just invented "premium" dealerships. Don't hold your breath (or maybe, DO!), those are just dealers willing to have at least 5 models on the floor (3 of which must be test bikes). No extra training, no other deals whatsoever for them. This will probably boost sales when those dealers try to lay off the test bikes somewhere next year, but undoubtedly at the expense of good dealer karma...

Piaggio's dealer support hasn't exactly improved either, as shown by the troubles a friend is having getting his (almost) brandnew Norge 8V sorted out - he's contracted a lawyer by now.

Anyway, for those looking for parts for older models, there's always www.motortoer.nl - this is the workshop that prepared Paul van Hooff's V7 before he left for the Americas, and that did a complete rebuild of a (now) splendid V7 Special Sport with custom machined parts. They ship worldwide (they're also a great place just to hang out!)

I have recently vented over this "dealer issue". I went to the new "dealer" to get normal maintanence stuff plus expecting to order non regular stuff. I was told we won't stock guzzi parts, order will be about 3 wks, for paper valve cover gaskets no less. I ended up at Moto International by circumstance and got every thing I needed without having to order anything. They related to me they have a large Canadian clientele. Gee I wonder why? I think Piaggio needs to get on track and deal with this lack of enthusiasm for the brand from supposed dealers. Rant Off.
Bob

Frankly I am surprised-and pleased-that they sent you to Harper's & Moto International, esp since Harper's was involved in a major law suit against Guzzi. No way that any manufacturer will have the same focus & knowledge base on much older machines as a long time dealer/mechanic. Of course there are other non-dealer sources of info/parts on the older machines (like MG Cycle & Moto Guzzi Classics) , but you can't really expect the manufacturer to send you there. That's what this & other internet forums are for. And before the internet you had to rely on word of mouth & the old paper MGNOC newsletter & tips booklets. Actually much, much easier to get info from others now. Also worth pointing out that the parts situation is much, much better now than it was at the end of the Aprilla reign, or earlier under Piaggio. Seems like it took Piaggio forever to straighten out the mess they inherited in that regard. I've had no trouble getting anything I wanted for my Norge, generally in a couple weeks. But then, fortunately I haven't needed or wanted much. For the older bikes there are better sources like MI, MG Cycle, MG Classics, or several European sources. Given the low volume of Guzzis sold, Guzzi was actually much better than many others in keeping old parts in stock. Now, like elsewhere, a lot of that is done by the aftermarket. Really, it is amazing to me that I can get pretty much anything I need for my 33 year old T3, esp given how comparatively few were produced. I bet National Cycle or somebody else has a windscreen-or several- that will work just fine on your 98 Cal.

Back