• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

Piaggio .... what the ...?!

Intel ( computer guys ) had an issue like this back in the day with using numbers as the model Names of their processors e.g. 386 / 486 between them and AMD.
This is similar to that, do they really have a case against use of the single generic word ?
It is indeed a unambiguous reference to the brand, but is it really enforceable ?

I would also imagine that it was some @#$&% Marketing guy who put the bug in someone’s ear, that got this whole thing started… with the Lawyers being the only one‘s making money off of this ?

Last edited:
Scott, love ya man, but here's where things get blurred for me. To start: You have BMW MOA that is still alive and well, as well as Moto Guzzi National Owners Club, unless they take that one down too. There's several other Forums using Guzzi in the name selling memberships, farkles and Ads to truly profit from. Unlike them, GuzziTech was founded as a "Owner Tips and Tricks" website as launched/shown HERE -- which this site still is. Do I link from here, sure, as do all of the others.
Additionally, I’ve spent a great deal of money and time launching my new trademarked business as GT MotoCycles (which is a completely separate business and website). I think there are many sites they can still chase using Guzzi in the name, like the one above. Additionally, their International trademark was just registered in 2021. We've been here in Sept 2001. This site is purely here for owner support and (I think) a promotional benefit to the brand.
I can also tell you Polaris does backflips to support websites like this for all of their brands, mainly Indian in this genre.
And to clarify, it's Piaggio that sent the C&D, not Guzzi (though we all know they are one in the same).

Believe me my brother, I love you too and I SUPPORT you in this.

BMW MOA has permission from BMW AG to use the name. This I know for a fact.

With regard to GuzziTech - I think that it is unnecessary BULLSHIT on the part of Piaggio.

All I was trying to say is that they aren't doing anything WRONG, per se, only just that it seems over the top, but they are clearly within their legal rights to do this. Some people were questioning that, and they are legally doing what they are permitted. I know, it sucks.

The older I get, the more wisdom I gleen from the words of my Nonna.

"Just because you can do something, doesn't mean you should..."

Are you listening Piaggio?

Last edited:
Next victim:
facebook.com/radicalspeedshop

They weren't a victim. They were using a name they had no right to, in order to sell custom built motorcycles. Apparently, Piaggio is on a worldwide cleanup of this.

GTM should be absolutely safe.

GuzziTech, maybe not so much. I still think Piaggio is acting over the top with regard to the forum.

Perhaps a nicely worded letter to them, seeking a waiver or permission to maintain GuzziTech as it promotes the welfare of Guzzisti worldwide with valuable information for free. Maybe that might work to alleviate things.

Sometimes asking permission, gets you what you need.

Point to ponder...

Maybe worth starting an online petition?
May do nothing, but costs nothing, and couldn't hurt, could it?

You could put something in the wording to ask if those signing have cancelled orders for MG Bikes or other products because of this ruling, or been put off buying anything in future.

As mentioned, they've lost several V100 sales already . . .

Did you know that the Piaggio Group is currently forcing forum and website owners and professional stores to remove the word Guzzi from their names?
This is currently happening in Germany. Latest victim HMB Guzzi.
This is done by lawyers hired by the Piaggio Group.
Polaris did the same thing with Indian. Capitalism has it's plusses and minuses.

Polaris did the same thing with Indian. Capitalism has it's plusses and minuses.
Not at Forums. I count more than ten on a Google search right now, not including any on Faceplant.
I have first hand knowledge, per my prior posts, that Polaris/Indian is supportive of them.

Maybe worth starting an online petition?
This would only be to appease those who felt slighted. Most will not care, and certainly Piaggio won’t I can assure you. And careful John, they may go after Facebook pages next. They certainly are on a legal tirade.

Not at Forums. I count more than ten on a Google search right now, not including any on Faceplant.
I have first hand knowledge, per my prior posts, that Polaris/Indian is supportive of them.
I didn't know that and glad to hear it. I don't think I'll be trading in my R1200GS on the V100.

Maybe a letter / email campaign to the national or Worldwide HQ, expressing how their most recent decision regarding user community * Support* has changed your mind(s) regarding the purchase of one of their bikes might be the only thing that could changes their minds.
If they see it as a Loss of $$$,
If it's an issues with Sites that are a detractor to the brand - They could just as easily Pick and chose WHo they Server with " Papers"

My 2 cents,
Don

This would only be to appease those who felt slighted. Most will not care, and certainly Piaggio won’t I can assure you. And careful John, they may go after Facebook pages next. They certainly are on a legal tirade.
Maybe.
I really don't see how they can do anything about Owners Groups (or similar), if they're not making money out of the name. :think:

Last edited:
They weren't a victim. They were using a name they had no right to, in order to sell custom built motorcycles. Apparently, Piaggio is on a worldwide cleanup of this.
They have been hit, although they have a business relationship with Guzzi, they are a service point.

Screenshot 2023 02 18 213136

Last edited:
+1 the only winners are going to be the lawyers.
I understand protecting your trademark on something like the BMW logo, but on a partial name? Eh.... seems petty to me.

BUT I HAVE JUST COME UP WITH A SOLUTION!

- Just drop the "i" in your forum name - GUZZTECH -
Your mind automatically includes the missing letter when you read it (a phenomenon called "illusory conjuction") and you can wave at the lawyers as they pass you by!

+1 the only winners are going to be the lawyers.
I understand protecting your trademark on something like the BMW logo, but on a partial name? Eh.... seems petty to me.

BUT I HAVE JUST COME UP WITH A SOLUTION!

- Just drop the "i" in your forum name - GUZZTECH -
Your mind automatically includes the missing letter when you read it (a phenomenon called "illusory conjuction") and you can wave at the lawyers as they pass you by!
From my own experience, lawyers are engaged and get paid based on succesful outcomes. Chasing ambo stuff. It starts with 'boilerplate" letters/emails which have a good success rate usually as most don't want to fight. Then there is the cost of fighting back which is a no-win situation given up against corp $$$. As has been said, "right to protect IP" VS "sales & marketing". If using a 'logo' or 'name' to manufacture a product competing with factory then maybe. But even then growing a brand name is about getting it out there.

As mentioned the easiest answer is a name change for forum, but ANY change still requires same work/effort to achieve.
But if a name/domain change it option then maybe guzz1tech or guzzLtech but a 'slight change' may still attract lawyers eyes as a target. Prob better to something 'different' (enough) but still same-same.

Suggestions (please add own ideas to list)
GUZ-Tech.com
MGtech.com
MGforum.com
SideVTwin.com
????

Guys, this has been quiet since my last legal retort.
Again, we've been on the web since September 2001 as a support portal for Guzzi owners. First as user submitted tech tips, then as a Forum since 2005.
Plenty websites are still live with Guzzi in the name, which clearly weren't targeted, including many that still attempt to profit using the name.
The only thing that will likely kill this site is user entitlement and my exhaustion from it.

Back