• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

Pilot Power Race

double.d

Cruisin' Guzzisti
GT Contributor
Have been running a Pilot Power front and Road 2 rear and was going to change brands but the rear has to much meat left on to throw out so i opted for a front only with a view of changing both next time.

So i go to my local tyre shop and he sais Powers are not made any more and the stock he has he will only sell pairs, and besides that he won't renew Michelin stock any more cause they are now made in Asia and the quality is poor. I ended up going for the Power Race cause they were going for $100 under normal price and he had more fronts than rears.

Anyone tried them ?

There was a "top 10 tyres" thing in one of the UK bike papers a while back. They still rated the Pilot Power Roads as good all round tyre (sorry about the pun). From what I remember they said Michelin have a new tyre to fill that bit of the market but the Road would continue to be available as a "budget" tyre. Maybe thats 'coz its now made in Asia? Or maybe it's just so they can charge a bit more for the new one?

Anyway....I have a new PP Road waiting for me at the local suppliers. They had no problems sourcing me one but it will be interesting to check where it was made....and where my old one was made. I've given up pre-judging stuff 'coz its made in the far east. Sure some of it is crap but they've moved on and some of it is as good as stuff made anywhere else, & sometimes better! I hope for my sake Michelin aren't letting a cheap manufacturing location compromise the quality (my confidence might be misplaced but in this litigious world we live in I doubt they would risk it). Only time and a few hundred miles will tell.

But if you got a PP Race for $100 less than list price I'd be well happy. My tyre expert once told me not to bother with them.....although he rated them he said he thought they'd be a superflous luxury on a road bike like the Griso with a wimp like me riding it! Couple of years back I had a similar discount on Metzlers for my old G11 when they were running down stock before launching a new tyre. Maybe Michelin are doing the same?

Don't Pilot Power Race's require Tire warmers? I would not recommend any race tires for street use... they don't heat up fast enough and will never heat up to operating temp... it could be really dangerous as a front since the rear street tire will stick faster.

The new Pilot Power Pure's are 2lb lighter...and tri compound.

Time for you to go to another dealer... if he will only sell pairs.. I burn 2 rears to one front in normal use....

Dunlop Q2's are another nice option, keep in mind that the profile is rounded unlike the more V like of the Pilot Powers so mixing profiles...

Another option is to change both tires and sell the good tire used...

cytocycle said:
Don't Pilot Power Race's require Tire warmers? I would not recommend any race tires for street use... they don't heat up fast enough and will never heat up to operating temp... it could be really dangerous as a front since the rear street tire will stick faster.
This did cross my mind, and i did ask him the difference between the two and he said i should get the same mileage/performance from both, and he knows i ride a Griso and he's the type of guy who would not let an important point like that slip by without a mention. I think they are on a par with the Dunlop Qualifier.

There is a new Metzeler Racetech 5 arriving in the country soon and this guy is smitten with them and from what he was saying it will be his no1 seller.

Well i can say after doing 600k's on it that this is by far the best tyre i have ever experienced. It just feels so safe and has made the steering very light and direct.
I would love to put one on the back to see how much better it could be.

Back