• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

pinging sound after shut off

francod123

Cruisin' Guzzisti
I have a 2013 v7 Stone. After I shut off the bike from a ride it does the typical humming sound for 10 or so seconds or whatever, and it also does this "pinging" sound, like a metallic pinging heard in the tank I suppose. Does anyone else have a new v7 that does the same thing? I have no clue what it is but it always does it, and is this normal or something to worry about? Thanks for the help.

Franco

pete roper said:
Sounds like fin ring as it cools down.

Pete

Any idea if this is a normal characteristic of this bike? It doesn't make the sound while I ride so that is good news...thanks for the help by the way Pete. I feel like I've heard your name thrown around a bunch of times before in a few places...some article about a le mans build in australia by Matt Machine comes to mind recently, was that you? Lust for that bike...anyway, thanks.

It seems like the normal noises of an internal combustion engine as it cools down. Parts are heated to hundreds of degrees, and the metal expands. As they cool they rub and slip against each other, making the noise.

Cars and other bikes do it too, but the noise on the V7 is heard better because it's air cooled, and the engine isn't muffled by body work or a water jacket.

If you ride with anyone else, listen to their bike as it cools to see if it's similar.

francod123 said:
pete roper said:

Pete

Any idea if this is a normal characteristic of this bike? It doesn't make the sound while I ride so that is good news...thanks for the help by the way Pete. I feel like I've heard your name thrown around a bunch of times before in a few places...some article about a le mans build in australia by Matt Machine comes to mind recently, was that you? Lust for that bike...anyway, thanks.

This is a misconception. Matt's bike is his work. I simply screwed about with the gearbox and bevelbox for him. He gave me un-called for credit in the interview for the article. Its his work and concept.

Pete

pete roper said:
francod123 said:
pete roper said:

Pete

This is a misconception. Matt's bike is his work. I simply screwed about with the gearbox and bevelbox for him. He gave me un-called for credit in the interview for the article. Its his work and concept.

Pete

I like the humility Pete...yea I like Matt's work for sure, great stuff. Cheers.

sign216 said:
It seems like the normal noises of an internal combustion engine as it cools down. Parts are heated to hundreds of degrees, and the metal expands. As they cool they rub and slip against each other, making the noise.

Cars and other bikes do it too, but the noise on the V7 is heard better because it's air cooled, and the engine isn't muffled by body work or a water jacket.

If you ride with anyone else, listen to their bike as it cools to see if it's similar.

Great, thanks for the insight...learning a lot from this site. Cheers.

sign216 said:

What I find really interesting is that I've got three friends with Triumphs ('05 Thruxton, '13 Thruxton, '12 Scrambler) and none of them tick when cooling down. The contraction of cooling metal is a normal sound to me so when they shut off to dead silence it always surprises me.

Anyone have an idea as to why?

Temperature differentials in a water cooled engine are much smaller and they don't have fins, or at least any fins to speak of. The temperature gradient from the inside of a fin to the outside is fairly steep. As they cool and contract stresses build up and release, hence the pinging noises.

Pete

Thruxtons and Scaramblers are not water cooled.
However, most of the ticking on my V7R comes from the Catastrophic Converters. Those things get extremely hot as can be evidenced by the bluing under the heat shields. I had a Scrambler and never noticed their mufflers getting that hot, but then I didn't leave the stock ones on long enough to really notice anything about them other then the ugly noise they made when they were on there. Sounded like an old 305 Honda Scrambler with Snuff 'R' Nots. On the other hand, the Scrambler was a couple of bikes ago and I choose not to remember very much about it anyway. It kinda falls in my least favorite bike category.
The bottom line is that the ticking is normal and you don't have a problem.
Bare

Back