• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

Pinging?

GrahamNZ

High Miler
A few of us are complaining about pinging (pinking). While poor fuel or a real bike problerm may well be the cause, not everyone can accurately identify pinging. I'd describe pinging as a slightly irregular tinkling sound, usually heard when an engine is hot, working hard, and unhappy about it. If the sound is regular, more of a tapping or knocking, heard under load and even when an engine is cool, it may be piston-slap. If the knock lessons when the engine is hot it's almost certainly piston-slap. Knocking, even light knocking, heard while an engine is running lightly is often tappet noise or a loose bearing.

Graham

GrahamNZ wrote:
A few of us are complaining about pinging (pinking). While poor fuel or a real bike problerm may well be the cause, not everyone can accurately identify pinging. I'd describe pinging as a slightly irregular tinkling sound, usually heard when an engine is hot, working hard, and unhappy about it.

YUP, that's what I'm hearing under a lot of accelerating conditions.

Also described as a tin can with some bolts in it being shaken.

Also described as "castanets"

GrahamNZ wrote:
If the sound is regular, more of a tapping or knocking, heard under load and even when an engine is cool, it may be piston-slap. If the knock lessons when the engine is hot it's almost certainly piston-slap.
Graham

NOPE - not what I'm hearing or when ... I never hear any sound cold, it's not a knock or a regular sound....

duck.gif
wrote:

T,FTFY :silly: :laugh: :woohoo:

so what can we do when that happens? can we ask for warranty replacement? or is that something that can not be fixed? i face that pinging, ticking knocking....etc...from the first runs...i have only 600 km on a new stelvio abs 2009...while the last stelvio i had 08 model had not these problems...

mellinis wrote:
so what can we do when that happens? can we ask for warranty replacement? or is that something that can not be fixed? i face that pinging, ticking knocking....etc...from the first runs...i have only 600 km on a new stelvio abs 2009...while the last stelvio i had 08 model had not these problems...

Well, first get it serviced properly. If it was delivered with few checkd made at pre-delivery there could be a host of reasons for odd noises. While I haven't had to do much with Stelvios yet, (Only seen one!) I haven't heard that they are prone to detonation problems if set up correctly.

You aren't trying to give it a lot of throttle at low RPM are you? That'd make anything detonate!

Pete

Pete: From what i've seen on my Stelvio it's kind of picky about the fuel it eats. I believe the min.octane rating recommended is 91 and even at 91, you've got to watch it at low rpm with the throttle. Sunoco here has a fuel that is rated at 94 octane and whenever I get to put 94 in it I do and it's as happy as the proverbial pig in ****.
FBC

As well as fuel quality and mapping issues, pinging can point to a bike being out of tune with one cylinder running leaner than the other. We know that some bikes leave the factory in less than ideal tune, and that some dealers lack the equipment and skill to tune the bikes properly.

If a bike is pinging and the fuel is known to be good, then the next thing to check is that the TPS and vacuum balance are set correctly. Ignition timing being incorrect is another but less likely cause.

Something I learned when my B11 was relatively new is that it required more frequent tappet adjustments and TPS resets. In other words, tune it more frequently than the manual recommends. The frequency of tunes normalized when I hit about 7,500 miles. And this is why I picked up a VDSTS from Todd. When she starts pinging, I reset tappets, TPS, and balance the TBs.

Noticing the same thing Nero, I've had tappets ,TPS and TBs all adjusted twice in 2300 km. Good to know it should settle down, I was told to expect it to chill out around 7000km. But one does wonder.
FBC

my service point said that maybe is the fuel...cause i used the fuel with too many octanes...''use the normal unleaded and it will be ok...'' but it seems that nothing works....

..so it might be the setting of the 2 cylinders ....timing...??

or worse like piston problem ?

the bike has now 750 km....new...

mellinis wrote:
my service point said that maybe is the fuel...cause i used the fuel with too many octanes...''use the normal unleaded and it will be ok...'' but it seems that nothing works....

Although I'm new to modern motorcycles (are the new Guzzi's really "modern"???), I've been driving/riding for a long time and I've never heard of engine knock (pinging) due to using gas that was too good for the engine. It may not be necessary to use 91 Octane fuel in a motor designed for 89 octane, but it won't hurt it.

I'm sure someone will let me know if I'm wrong.

jdg

Heres everything you ever wanted to know, and then some.

the octane rating essentially equals the fuel's resistance to detonation (pinging).

However, the result is that higher octane fuels burn a little slower, so you may very well loose power by running 91 in an engine designed for 87.

I personally noticed an increase in performance when i use 89 in my griso, but it already pings, and using 89 makes it that much worse.

pinging is caused by several things.

when you rapidly compress a gas, it gets hot, and fast. How hot depends on the compression, and heat makes fuel explode. So, when you compress a fuel rich air mixture really fast, it gets hot. If the octane is insufficient to prevent that heat alone from blowing your fuel up before your spark does, your bike will ping. Diesel engines work on this principal alone. They have extremely high compression (running on the order of 16:1) and the heat alone lights off the fuel.

Combustion chamber hot spots will cause pinging. If you have a fuel rich air mixture, which is compressed and preheated, and then comes in contact with a very hot spot somewhere, (usually on the head, and usually on a corner) it can light off the fuel before the spark does.

If you have an engine which runs lean, (like our beloved bikes) the engine runs extremely hot. When you pin the throttle a lot, you increase the manifold pressure (until your engine speeds up), because you are trying to pull the same volume of air, through a less restrictive pipe. And thus, for the same volume of the cylinder, you get more air molecules, and more fuel to match it. As a result, the pressure inside the combustion chamber is much higher at TDC than it would be when you just cruise.

Remember that bit about rapid increase in pressure causing heat?

well, it does,. And combined with the already hot running engine, it lights off the fuel/air mix, before the spark fires.

And there you have pinging.

-Clam

Ressurecting this old thread to say that my final solution to a pinging B11 seems to have been a Guzzitech Reflash!

Back